Expected salary

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Expected salary

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:51 am ........South Africans are starting to be hired more and more...........They'll accept half the salary of a westerner and they all have TEFL certificates :?
FTFY :wink:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

KTabi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 pm Is Cambodia still open to job search visas? I was under the impression that it was but it seems like you need a business vouching for you to come in and get the visa?
There is no "job search" visa. There is a Visa Extension of Stay, the EG (General) EOS, which is for those seeking employment or business opportunities. But you can only get that once you have entered the country on an E-type Visa, which most Embassies are currently only issuing to people who have employment/business related supporting documentation.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 am
KTabi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 pm Is Cambodia still open to job search visas? I was under the impression that it was but it seems like you need a business vouching for you to come in and get the visa?
There is no "job search" visa. There is a Visa Extension of Stay, the EG (General) EOS, which is for those seeking employment or business opportunities. But you can only get that once you have entered the country on an E-type Visa, which most Embassies are currently only issuing to people who have employment/business related supporting documentation.
Ah I see, I must be mixing it up with another country as I have been reading about so many. Please forgive my ignorance. If one were to apply for a visa with a charitable organization or company wishing to interview you, could this be be considered employment/business related supporting documentation? What otherwise would one do to enter the country on a business visa for long term stay with the intention of interviewing around english teaching schools?
:thumb:
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

KTabi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 pm If you are NES and you have degree in education you can expect between 3000-5000$ salary in top 3 schools in PP (ISPP, Northbridge, CISP). Plus many other benefits like yearly ticket to fly home, housing allowance, free tuition for kids, insurance etc.). (My good friend was working there). Footprints is paying 1200-1600$, CIA First 1500-1800$ for 11 months contract. Many schools have "international" only in the name and pay a lot less, some schools are offering 1000-1200$.
It helps if you are white NES for sure, although I disagree that for example Indian mathematician or Austrian music teachers are paid less.
It is quite common in Cambodia to ask you for you salary expectations.
IMHO is best way to say: I am looking to receive between xxxx and yyyy monthly/annually. Due to my skill set and experience level, I feel that this is a comfortable and appropriate range for my work.
Good luck.
Thank you very much for the update on wages, many guides are outdated and if covid regulations don't go too far and close down and reduce school pay too much it seems like wages have gone up a bit. I had some questions though, if you were kind enough to indulge me:
1) I was told that with a CELTA certification and some post secondary education one could earn at lower end 1200 and likely 1400 USD a month if they play their cards right teaching English without prior professional education experience, perhaps some volunteer. Is this realistic?
2) I was told that school's reputations often change with rotation of management and employees. Are footprints and CIA first more exclusive? Are there certain schools one should not apply to? What are warning signs that a school is not worth the time?
3) I have heard of six month contracts which I might be inclined to due to intermittent business that requires absence. Are those common or easy to obtain? Is pay for those much less?
4) Are you aware of any very reputable charitable organizations in PP regarding english language education and/or landmines on a part time basis?

1. Without teaching experience I doubt.
2. Reputable schools employ teachers legal. (visa, WP, insurance..)
3. No experience.
4. This one is most reputable https://www.cambodianchildrensfund.org/
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:34 am
KTabi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 pm If you are NES and you have degree in education you can expect between 3000-5000$ salary in top 3 schools in PP (ISPP, Northbridge, CISP). Plus many other benefits like yearly ticket to fly home, housing allowance, free tuition for kids, insurance etc.). (My good friend was working there). Footprints is paying 1200-1600$, CIA First 1500-1800$ for 11 months contract. Many schools have "international" only in the name and pay a lot less, some schools are offering 1000-1200$.
It helps if you are white NES for sure, although I disagree that for example Indian mathematician or Austrian music teachers are paid less.
It is quite common in Cambodia to ask you for you salary expectations.
IMHO is best way to say: I am looking to receive between xxxx and yyyy monthly/annually. Due to my skill set and experience level, I feel that this is a comfortable and appropriate range for my work.
Good luck.
Thank you very much for the update on wages, many guides are outdated and if covid regulations don't go too far and close down and reduce school pay too much it seems like wages have gone up a bit. I had some questions though, if you were kind enough to indulge me:
1) I was told that with a CELTA certification and some post secondary education one could earn at lower end 1200 and likely 1400 USD a month if they play their cards right teaching English without prior professional education experience, perhaps some volunteer. Is this realistic?
2) I was told that school's reputations often change with rotation of management and employees. Are footprints and CIA first more exclusive? Are there certain schools one should not apply to? What are warning signs that a school is not worth the time?
3) I have heard of six month contracts which I might be inclined to due to intermittent business that requires absence. Are those common or easy to obtain? Is pay for those much less?
4) Are you aware of any very reputable charitable organizations in PP regarding english language education and/or landmines on a part time basis?

1. Without teaching experience I doubt.
2. Reputable schools employ teachers legal. (visa, WP, insurance..)
3. No experience.
4. This one is most reputable https://www.cambodianchildrensfund.org/
Thanks a million. With no prior teaching experience but CELTA and some college, what is a realistic month's wage to expect or request?
I certainly only would intend to work legally, working illegally sounds like a headache. I'll assume footprints and CIA are just quite decent standard schools that hire people legally.

Can one obtain an extended stay visa on the basis of coming to work with volunteer programs while one searches for English teaching employment?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

KTabi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:34 am If one were to apply for a visa with a charitable organization or company wishing to interview you, could this be be considered employment/business related supporting documentation? What otherwise would one do to enter the country on a business visa for long term stay with the intention of interviewing around english teaching schools?
First thing you need to do is contact your nearest Cambodian Embassy or Consulate to check what their current criteria is, it varies from Embassy to Embassy...a few are handing Visas out like candy with no supporting documentation, at an inflated price, but most have very strict criteria ie. You must have employment or a business in Cambodia and have the necessary supporting documentation to back that up.

Probably best not to continue this line of discussion on this thread though, don't want to derail it any further.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 am
KTabi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:34 am If one were to apply for a visa with a charitable organization or company wishing to interview you, could this be be considered employment/business related supporting documentation? What otherwise would one do to enter the country on a business visa for long term stay with the intention of interviewing around english teaching schools?
First thing you need to do is contact your nearest Cambodian Embassy or Consulate to check what their current criteria is, it varies from Embassy to Embassy...a few are handing Visas out like candy with no supporting documentation, at an inflated price, but most have very strict criteria ie. You must have employment or a business in Cambodia and have the necessary supporting documentation to back that up.

Probably best not to continue this line of discussion on this thread though, don't want to derail it any further.
So sorry, thanks. It is indeed just tangentially related.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:15 pm
samrong01 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 pm Its really no different to being in the market. You are the seller so its natural for the buyer to ask your price. Its all very well to say you might have got more but if you are satisfied with what you have got then so what? More can come later if it works out well.
I beg to differ the OP is the seller. Rather, I gather the school has advertised for a teacher position to which OP has applied, so in my mind, the school is the seller. They are selling a job and looking for buyers to apply.

Of course if OP has approached the school for any vacant position without prior known vacancies, then I would agree, he is more the seller in that situation.

But of course the school knows that they are in a position of power in this current covid, high unemployment environment where there is more supply than demand and so they don't want to play their hand and come out and say what they will pay. Rather, they prefer to run a dutch auction so to speak where needy applicants are all biting at the bit to get a position such that it drives down the salary they have to pay.

I've seen this disturbing trend in my home country when house prices are booming. You see more and more houses come up for sale 'subject to offer' where they don't disclose the price.. Of course, in a down market/recession when it's a buyer's market you see the reverse where sellers are biting at the bit just to find a buyer.

So I guess it depends on the times..
I agree with what you say except that the OP is the buyer. Whoever pays the money is the buyer and the product the school is selling is the job. The buyer wishes to pay the lowest price while the seller wants the highest price. We can agree to disagree.

Is the school really in a position of power at the moment? I dont' know the market but would have thought that many foreign teachers might have left and there are no backpackers to recruit so could there actually be a shortage? It would be interesting to know of foreign teachers' current experience in applying for jobs.

Its true in Cambodia the mentality is "cheapest is best" and some schools will just take the cheapest teacher regardless of skills but for the others its up the applicant to demonstrate that he is worth paying more for. Salary can always be increased later if everybody is happy.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

If the school has an international syllabus, so Cambridge or IB, and you have experience, a degree related to the subject you are teaching and some form of teacher training (minimum would be CELTA) then you should ask for anything around $1800 to $2100 a month.

If you have a proper teaching qualification and are qualified to teach in the UK or USA, plus you have a masters in the subject you are teaching then maybe a bit more, $2500 to $2700 a month .

Don't ask for $4000 they will just laugh down the phone at you and hang up.

But they should tell you the salary and the fact they aren't would ring alarm bells for me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Nikm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 am Hello everyone,

I have just been offered a job as Senior School teacher at an international school in Phnom Penh.

They have asked me to quote my expected salary.

There are no perquisites/ benefits.

OP, what teaching job are you applying for? 'Senior school teacher' in English?

You have Celta-certification I read. Anything else teaching related?

Any relevant teaching experience?
Any ability to teach another (second) subject?
Any degrees in relevant subjects which shows useful knowledge in a school beyond being 'native speaker'?

If it's just being a native speaker with Celta you'll be competing with people on the lower end of the market (1000-1500). No matter whether they call it 'senior school teacher' or not.

If you have a real teaching degree allowing you to teach in your home country and you're able / licensed to teach other subjects than English you're at the higher end of the market (2000-4000).

Just position yourself and price accordingly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic