Archaeomagnetic results from Cambodia in Southeast Asia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Archaeomagnetic results from Cambodia in Southeast Asia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Some science for those who are interested:

Research Article
Archaeomagnetic results from Cambodia in Southeast Asia: Evidence for possible low-latitude flux expulsion
View ORCID ProfileShuhui Cai, Rashida Doctor, View ORCID ProfileLisa Tauxe, Mitch Hendrickson, Quan Hua, View ORCID ProfileStéphanie Leroy, and Kaseka Phon

See all authors and affiliations
PNAS March 16, 2021 118 (11) e2022490118;
https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2022490118

Contributed by Lisa Tauxe, January 7, 2021 (sent for review October 28, 2020; reviewed by Maria Luisa Osete and John Tarduno)

Article Figures & SI Info & Metrics
PDF

Significance

The geomagnetic field contains information about interior dynamics of the Earth and is closely related to human beings on maintaining a habitable planet. Understanding variations of the field in the past, especially during the Holocene, is helpful for deciphering modern geomagnetic behaviors or even predicting future variations. Archaeomagnetism is efficient in recovering field information over the past millennia. However, the present data are not distributed evenly across the globe, limiting interpretation of the field features. We conducted an archaeomagnetic study on an iron-smelting site from Cambodia in Southeast Asia, an area currently devoid of data. The results will fill gaps in the present datasets and provide constraints for understanding specific geomagnetic features and their interior driving mechanism.

Abstract

Extensive spatial and temporal distribution of high-quality data are essential for understanding regional and global behaviors of the geomagnetic field. We carried out chronological and archaeomagnetic studies at the Angkor-era iron-smelting site of Tonle Bak in Cambodia in Southeast Asia, an area with no data available to date. We recovered high-fidelity full-vector geomagnetic information from the 11th to 14th century for this region, which fill gaps in the global distribution of data and will significantly improve the global models. These results reveal a sharp directional change of the geomagnetic field between 1200 and 1300 CE, accompanied by an intensity dip between 1100 and 1300 CE. The fast geomagnetic variation recorded by our data provides evidence for the possible existence of low-latitude flux expulsion. Related discussions in this paper will inspire a new focus on detailed geomagnetic research in low-latitude areas around the equator, and exploration of related dynamic processes.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/11/e2022490118
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Archaeomagnetic results from Cambodia in Southeast Asia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

There is an easy to read article on the scientific report here: https://www.insidescience.org/news/thou ... eld-shifts
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Archaeomagnetic results from Cambodia in Southeast Asia

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

First Environment - now Science!

I hereby nominate CEO News for this year's Lenin Prize
ffs this is beyond my wildest dreams... but i gotta say CEO taking such a radical lurch to the Left surprises even me.

I had feared for a while that the Trumpian nature-hating and science-denying fools would win the day.

:stir:

(ps, thanks News ^^ two Fab posts )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic