Phnom Penh bars forced to close, arrests made

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Police have gone round all the bars tonight 136/130/118/104 etc forcing them to close inc some girls and bar owners getting arrested
Bar owners have also been forced to sign documents saying they are to remain closed until further notice

Maybe there will be an announcement in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Phnom Penh bars forced to close, arrests made

Post by Anchor Moy »

^ Make sure you stock up on beer. Hard times might be on their way. It's not looking good. :(
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

The initial focus was on street 104. They blocked both ends of the street and about ten bars have been told that they are closed, and when other bars re-open, they will remain closed. This is in line with recent warnings issued by the authorities.
I’d guess they will patrol the other main bar streets tonight and raid any bars that attempt to open. I’m sure there will be the usual one or two bars that like to buck the system and open, encouraging customers to enter by rear alleyways etc. This time the authorities seem much more serious.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

What were the reasons for the arrests?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 am ^ Make sure you stock up on beer. Hard times might be on their way. It's not looking good. :(
Already started stocking up on rice and pasta etc. Next stop is to start batch cooking and fill the freezer.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

theKid wrote:Image

What were the reasons for the arrests?
Dunno, due to the covid rules you shouldn’t be in groups no larger than 8,
I think this particular picture is on street 211

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I hear that on 104, after sealing off the street, the cops stopped the girls from going inside their bars and then videod them. But they let them cover their faces. When that was done, the girls went inside where they remained until the coast was clear. Police did not go inside the bars, except for one, maybe Bunny, which got the full raid treatment including girls taken away.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Glad I've got half a dozen phone numbers tucked away for a rainy day. And it's a buyers market to boot. Win-win ;-)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

armchairlawyer wrote:I hear that on 104, after sealing off the street, the cops stopped the girls from going inside their bars and then videod them. But they let them cover their faces. When that was done, the girls went inside where they remained until the coast was clear. Police did not go inside the bars, except for one, maybe Bunny, which got the full raid treatment including girls taken away.
Apparently Owner of blue bird bar 130 rumoured to have been arrested for some reason

Other bar owners ive spoke to said police didn’t go in/have to sign anything but got told if they open before they say they will get “big trouble”

Street 136 and 104 were apparently forced to sign papers saying they will remain closed, bars on 130/118 i think just got verbally told

pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:26 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 am ^ Make sure you stock up on beer. Hard times might be on their way. It's not looking good. :(
Already started stocking up on rice and pasta etc. Next stop is to start batch cooking and fill the freezer.
Nooooo , then shirley you’ll get power outages ... going on up in SR now , most likely cuz of the road works .
I always have beer ( and medicine ) stocked & never eat rice at home
But no power not welcome now getting very hot , they put the generator on but after awhile it ran out of gas .
The real bitch is if i need the elevator with no electricity ,
... going down steps ain’t that bad but trying to estimate the time the power will be on to go back up is hope for the best

No complaints , being hot beats snow ⛄️
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic