SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by sigmoid »

YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 pm

I haven't found any gig yet. Because of this experience, I am now a little bit hesitant to take up a freelance gig or work with a non-company.
I am now still waiting for the status of my application at the tech company here for IT Project Manager but they're postponing all projects due to covid.
Have you looked into working online? There are also risks with not getting paid, but obviously a lot of IT work is now being done remotely, which would open up many more opportunities than just looking for a gig in Phnom Penh since it is a global job market rather than a local one.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

clutchcargo wrote:
YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 pm I tried to put all the things that I found out about him in the hope people can see what I can see that he isn't a person you can trust in business.

So, if someone can tell me what kind of evidence they need, I'll try my best to provide them.
The screenshots are evidence and they indicate he acknowledges he owes you money.
Yeah its evident he has definitely fucked her about with her salary and should pay up, its only $500, hardly worth getting your name thrown in the dirt over, id just pay her what he owes n be done with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

Post by YMYMYM »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I haven't found any gig yet. Because of this experience, I am now a little bit hesitant to take up a freelance gig or work with a non-company.
I am now still waiting for the status of my application at the tech company here for IT Project Manager but they're postponing all projects due to covid.
Have you looked into working online? There are also risks with not getting paid, but obviously a lot of IT work is now being done remotely, which would open up many more opportunities than just looking for a gig in Phnom Penh since it is a global job market rather than a local one.
I have the same fear to work online. Especially knowing by working online, the risk is even bigger compared to work locally.
But I'm not closing my door. If there's a decent, registered, and legit company open for remote work, I'll try my luck.
What I'm going to do is to keep applying both for local companies and remote/online work.
Hopefully, this pandemic situation will get better not only for me but for all of us.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 pm I tried to put all the things that I found out about him in the hope people can see what I can see that he isn't a person you can trust in business.

So, if someone can tell me what kind of evidence they need, I'll try my best to provide them.
The screenshots are evidence and they indicate he acknowledges he owes you money.
Yeah its evident he has definitely fucked her about with her salary and should pay up, its only $500, hardly worth getting your name thrown in the dirt over, id just pay her what he owes n be done with it

If we accept that the OP is genuine, which I do, then Hutchins deserves to be called out IMO.The guy's behaviour is not acceptable. If he's not a scammer, then he's an arsehole, and HE HAS NOT PAID HER.
$500 is $500 that was earned by the OP, so the guy is stealing money that belongs to her. People here have asked for proof, and the OP provided screenshots of messages asking to be paid that go back to December. The OP is warning other people not to work for him, which is fair enough.

BTW, the name Ben Hutchins is at the top of the screenshots so there was not much point in ****ing his name. And unfortunately, naming and shaming is sometimes the only way you can get any response.
Times are hard, I hope you get your money OP.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:54 pm
sigmoid wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I have the same fear to work online. Especially knowing by working online, the risk is even bigger compared to work locally.
But I'm not closing my door. If there's a decent, registered, and legit company open for remote work, I'll try my luck.
What I'm going to do is to keep applying both for local companies and remote/online work.
Hopefully, this pandemic situation will get better not only for me but for all of us.
You could try doing some remote work on Upwork.com
When you accept to do a project, the hirer has to put the money into an escrow account before you start work. Almost impossible to get cheated.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

YMYMYM I too well feel for your situation, it was only recently that the unthinkable happened to myself where I could not access my banking account. It’s not much fun being left in a situation of no monies available to oneself when suddenly you yourself fall into debt to others such has rent and bills, being the foreigner also the situation could fall bad, with authorities following protocol, incarnation then deportation. It will always be asked of you, can a member of your family pay, or failing that what of friends. My own family are in no position to pay for me has they are having difficulties making ends meet in this time of a pandemic. Luckily for me I had an unexpected offer of monies from a caring member on this forum, giving me time to sort out the situation, it was the first time I have ever been put in a personal situation to ever borrow money.
Your situation is slightly different, with a third party owning you monies for work done, I hope the person who you had been employed by seeing the hardship he is now causing pays the wages due.
You quote- Hopefully, this pandemic situation will get better not only for me but for all of us.
I hope so too, and hope you get your payment due, but this pandemic situation makes people in the position has yourself more desperate too work, unfortunately it also gives the scammers more options.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

This Ben Hutchins seems like he’s been running scams a while. Doubt you get paid but thanks for getting this scumbags name out.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:05 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote:

If we accept that the OP is genuine, which I do, then Hutchins deserves to be called out IMO.The guy's behaviour is not acceptable. If he's not a scammer, then he's an arsehole, and HE HAS NOT PAID HER.
$500 is $500 that was earned by the OP, so the guy is stealing money that belongs to her. People here have asked for proof, and the OP provided screenshots of messages asking to be paid that go back to December. The OP is warning other people not to work for him, which is fair enough.

BTW, the name Ben Hutchins is at the top of the screenshots so there was not much point in ****ing his name. And unfortunately, naming and shaming is sometimes the only way you can get any response.
Times are hard, I hope you get your money OP.
no you are exactly right and as i mentioned in my last couple of posts its out of order
i censored out his name after the first couple of posts, before i had seen any screenshots or more of the story had been revealed,
i have since (now im back from the gym) restored the name and pictures to the original post
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Its nof of great help but the OP seems to be honest. Thank you mods for going back to the original settings. Such scumbags need to be named to avoid same troubles for anybody. Going out drinking while owning money urgently needed by staff is disgusting.
work is for people who cant find truffles
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:14 pm until some actual evidence of some sort is posted on this forum ive temporarily removed his name and pictures, i will re-add them once some evidence has been provided
Well done. We don't want to become a sewer like TOF
Yes, this is a bastion of purity and goodness. :facepalm:
Yes, CEO is now in the collection business. It is interesting that a certain admin became very supportive of the cause once the OP's photo and ID was posted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic