SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by YMYMYM »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:41 pm is the poster foreign or local?
i dont understand how foreigners move to a country like cambodia to work (where the salaries are barely enough to scrape by) and not have at least some sort of savings as a safety net for rent and food,

btw not making excuses regarding employers not paying staff, id be equally pissed off, and unfortunately its something ive heard numerous times here before
I am a foreigner from Indonesia. I didn't plan to work and live in Cambodia for this long. I came here right before the covid19 hit and then the border closed. My money ran out. Even the border is open, I still need a certain of money for a deposit and to pay for rapid test, etc that is required to enter any countries. I didn't have much choice at that time other than to survive with the money that I have and to find a job as soon as possible. I tried to accept that and settle in here instead.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 pm
i dont understand how foreigners move to a country like cambodia to work (where the salaries are barely enough to scrape by) and not have at least some sort of savings as a safety net for rent and food,

btw not making excuses regarding employers not paying staff, id be equally pissed off, and unfortunately its something ive heard numerous times here before
I am a foreigner from Indonesia. I didn't plan to work and live in Cambodia for this long. I came here right before the covid19 hit and then the border closed. My money ran out. Even the border is open, I still need a certain of money for a deposit and to pay for rapid test, etc that is required to enter any countries. I didn't have much choice at that time other than to survive with the money that I have and to find a job as soon as possible. I tried to accept that and settle in here instead.
ahh ok, yeah i understand the situation you are in now then,
i'm currently looking into this, to see if i can shed more light onto it
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

How long have you/had you been working for this chap? The initial post almost reads as if you have worked for him for quite a while, to be able to establish a regular income stream, and then for that to become increasingly late.

There are a couple of vague references to some tasks/work that you had done, which sound as if there’s something fairly technical involved. What work were you doing?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

YMYMYM, if you are totally genuine - thank you, hang in.
Perhaps you can understand some of our concerns about publishing unverified accusations.

It looks like there is some checking/amateur detective work going on behind the scenes - but it would be good if you could provide any further evidence you may have.

Ps, Did you find another gig?
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

Post by YMYMYM »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm

Thank you for your understanding. Really appreciate your kind intention.
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

Post by YMYMYM »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
How long have you/had you been working for this chap? The initial post almost reads as if you have worked for him for quite a while, to be able to establish a regular income stream, and then for that to become increasingly late.

There are a couple of vague references to some tasks/work that you had done, which sound as if there’s something fairly technical involved. What work were you doing?
I worked for 4 months with him. My payment term was biweekly. So every 2 weeks I will get half of my payment and the next 2 weeks I will get the rest of my payment and so on so forth. At first, he always paid me on time but then in my second month, he started to pay late. I usually would wait until my next payment schedule and treat it like a monthly payment instead of biweekly. When I followed up, he would pay me in the next couple of days or on the weekends. He usually used reasons such as the bank or wing/truemoney was closed, he needs to take the money in cash and he didn't have much cash on his Bank account. That was acceptable for me. But things started to get worse in November - December, He hasn't paid me for 2 payment periods. And every time I followed up, he kept delaying it. I worked for another 1 week before I took the Christmas holiday. So, at this point, He hasn't paid me for 2.5 payment terms. He told me he would transfer the money before the Christmas holiday but when the Christmas holiday came when I followed up and he kept delayed it until I found out about him and the rest story is on my post.

I worked as an IT Project Manager for website development (e-commerce). I helped on creating a flowchart, determine the features of the websites, create user training material, create presentation slides, perform UAT (software testing), and helped him connect with other clients for other projects. I did little bit of personal assistant task as well for him such as one time he asked me to photocopied documents, sent property documents to one of the property development companies in Phnom Penh (which apparently the property company knows him as a lawyer and expected him to come by himself as he refused to pay some money for something. I don't really understand what was it about, I was just a messenger)
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

Post by YMYMYM »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:33 pm YMYMYM, if you are totally genuine - thank you, hang in.
Perhaps you can understand some of our concerns about publishing unverified accusations.

It looks like there is some checking/amateur detective work going on behind the scenes - but it would be good if you could provide any further evidence you may have.

Ps, Did you find another gig?
Thank you! I am really want to save people from being scam here. Because I know it sucks to get scam.
I understand why people have that concern. But I really have no ideas what kind of evidence do people need?
Because for me, When I worked with him I didn't know that he's a scam artist. If I knew that, I would've gathered as much evidence as possible.
I tried to communicate with him via WhatsApp which I provided the screenshots here as well.
I tried to put all the things that I found out about him in the hope people can see what I can see that he isn't a person you can trust in business.

So, if someone can tell me what kind of evidence they need, I'll try my best to provide them.

I haven't found any gig yet. Because of this experience, I am now a little bit hesitant to take up a freelance gig or work with a non-company.
I am now still waiting for the status of my application at the tech company here for IT Project Manager but they're postponing all projects due to covid.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

YMYMYM wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm

Thank you for your understanding. Really appreciate your kind intention.
After looking into this and speaking to people that know him, I don’t know if i believe him to be a serial scam artist,
but I do believe your story on how hes cheated you out of your salary, and the fact that its only $500 that he seems to owe I don’t know why he wouldn’t just pay you what he owes and be done with it instead of all the cat and mouse games and excuses
As it stands atm i believe the topic is fair in order to throw caution to someone who could end up in a similar situation
Unless theres some genuine reason hes not paid you the salary he owes, which i guess only he knows Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

YMYMYM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 pm I tried to put all the things that I found out about him in the hope people can see what I can see that he isn't a person you can trust in business.

So, if someone can tell me what kind of evidence they need, I'll try my best to provide them.
The screenshots are evidence and they indicate he acknowledges he owes you money.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Best wishes YM. I have a feeling things will work out ok for you.
Look forward.
Maybe don't go looking for more 'evidence'.
Let it pass. You have done your best to execute some justice, at least.
and to warn everybody.

If this guy is a scammer - that will certainly be picked up now
if not, that will probably become clear too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic