SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
YMYMYM
Tourist
Indonesia

SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by YMYMYM »

SCAM ALERT!!
BEWARE OF THIS SCAMMER IN PHNOM PENH!

His name is Ben Hutchins from BRISBANE, He's 55 years old (born in 1965.) He claimed that He has been living in Phnom Penh for 15 years or so. As per my knowledge, He lives in the Riverside area in Phnom Penh. But I got info that He just moved out. So, I don't know where He's living now.

So I was looking for a job a year ago and I got a job through friends of friends as a Personal Assistant/Project Manager.
I worked with this Australian guy named Ben Hutchins. And he claimed to have a business offering software development service to one of the reputable companies in Cambodia.
At first, everything seemed legit. I started my job, and I have also met His partner/friend which also his client.
I met his partner in his office which he is from a legit company as Ben claimed. So I believed this is a legit job, not a scam.

Months went by and this guy - Ben Hutchins started to pay me late more often. In December 2020 before Christmas time, I was expecting my last payment before the holiday.
At this point, He hasn't paid me for my 1-month work done.

He gave me weird excuses, and he kept changing his excuses every time I asked about the updates on my payment situation.
Some of his excuses are:
The client hasn't paid him hence he didn't have the money,
Or the money transferred process has been delayed by the bank,
Or the money transferred has been missing and he tried to solve that,
Or he claimed that he had been trying to take a loan from a bank here and it was still in the process, etc.

I believed in his excuses without any suspicion and kept waiting for my payment.
Then, my boyfriend and some of his friends saw him at a bar in Phnom Penh, having drinks with his friends. While he claimed that he didn't have money.
My boyfriend tried to talk and follow up on my payment with him.
After my boyfriend told me that, I tried to escalate and explain my situation to his partner which happens to be his client and His partner said that he has paid Ben before the holiday started.
Then, I started to get suspicious and ask Ben again what is the status of my payment.
He ignored my messages and calls. Eventually, he replied to me asked to meet at Cheers Bar at the riverside.

We met there, and he told me he didn't like to be approached at the bar by my boyfriend, He even accused my boyfriend of things that he didn't do.
He said He would transfer my money when I finished handover. We agreed on the timeline, and he transferred 1/4 of my payment before the handover started.
I finished the handover and asked him to transfer the rest of my money as agreed. But he ignored my text.
He didn't pick up my calls. I tried to email him and no response too.
At this point, I reported him to his partner. His partner tried to help to communicate my concerns to him, and still, he never responds or replied to any of my texts or calls.

I still gave him chance and kept following up and still waiting for his response to transfer my payment.
Until today, He hasn't transferred my money or respond to my texts & calls, and he unfriended my social media!
At this point, I am so disappointed. My money is gone. I worked hard and didn't even get paid for that.
I have enough so I decided to share this to let him know that I am so disappointed with him and I won't let him out there free scamming other people.

After I did a little digging and research on him, I found out that He is a scammer.
He owed money to several people with the same pattern. He has also been blacklisted at some Bars in Cambodia (not only Phnom Penh).
He even made himself news in Phnom Penh newspaper, Khmer24 articles, and Sun newspaper. (I'm attaching all those articles here.)
He also claimed to have a company called "Hutchins& co” which no longer exists as he is not a registered lawyer

For those people who ever offered a job to work with him or offered something from him, please be cautious and never believed what he says.
He will eventually scam you, and you will fall to his prey.
I can provide screenshots of all the communication between me and Him to prove that I'm not making a false accuse.
For those who have experienced the same thing with him, I will be happy to connect and hear your story. I feel sorry for those who are still working with him without knowing that they will never get money for their hard work. I want to help them to get out of him before it's too late.

So, I am gathering people to help me to share this and make him viral so there won't be other people fall into his scam.

Thank you for reading until the end. I hope you all have a good day.
If you want the screenshots of all my communication with him, please shoot me a message here. I will try to reply to you ASAP.

Thank You.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by Doc67 »

So what? He was a spokesmen for a legal team. The other links have nothing to do with this guy, I skimmed through them and none of them "relate" to him.

The OP has provided a long winded and rambling attempt to smear someone, with absolutely no corroborating evidence whatsoever. The links provided, purportedly to substantiate their claims, in fact highlight that there is nothing in this mans history that confirms any pattern of behaviour. It is completely deceptive.

And all this is done behind anonymity. Yet they name and post pictures of the accused with apparent impunity.

The man in question will know the name and identity of the OP. He might well decide to reply to these allegations on this thread.

I trust CEO will set aside it's policy of not outing members and permit the man in question to name and publish the picture of their accuser with any refutation of the allegations.

After all, YMYMYM is not really a member, they have simply used this site in a smear campaign.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: SCAM ALERT!! For those who's looking for job in Phnom Penh, beware of this guy.

Post by Freightdog »

I’m with Doc on this.

The thread is pushing some agenda, and using CEO as the vehicle. Yet there seems to be nothing in the links provided with any connection to the story.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OP @YMYMYM

You claim this man has not paid you your salary.

Do you have evidence or information to support your claim that shows he owes you money?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
Yep. I agree.
I reckon all the ID should be removed straight away, at least until the OP can come up with some corroboration.

It might be quite true and a valuable warning, but we (CEO) should have higher standards than just publishing anybody's dirt unchecked.
imo
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

YMYMYM wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:38 pm SCAM ALERT!!
BEWARE OF THIS SCAMMER IN PHNOM PENH!

His name is BEN HUTCHINS from BRISBANE, He's 55 years old (born in 1965.) He claimed that He has been living in Phnom Penh for 15 years or so. As per my knowledge, He lives in the Riverside area in Phnom Penh. But I got info that He just moved out. So, I don't know where He's living now.
its a very believable story, and not too uncommon here in cambodia
but if you have evidence to back up your claims, they need to be posted, or this thread will likely have to be taken down,
feel free to PM me
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ClaudeBain
Tourist

Post by ClaudeBain »

She posted screen shots on TOF where he is giving weasel excuses by text for not paying her.

Her evidence of scamming is no worse than that against Jewsbury, Whitlow, Scallan, the late Shitty Plaits, etc.
Last edited by ClaudeBain on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

What's with the random links provided? Literally nothing to do with the man.
ClaudeBain
Tourist

Post by ClaudeBain »

The first link names him and describes his dodgy hovercraft business exploits. Others describe him heading up a law firm but not a lawyer.

Link 3 describes backpacker paying a lawyer who vanished and meeting a western guy who had his passport and demanded 7k to return it.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

until some actual evidence of some sort is posted on this forum ive temporarily removed his name and pictures, i will re-add them once some evidence has been provided
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic