14Yo Boy Shot in Hunting Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 14Yo Boy Shot in Hunting Accident

Post by Clemen »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 pm
John Bingham wrote:That's interesting, I was wondering why people heard any bang because in the videos they seem very quiet.
Those brand of air rifles come with sound suppressors, tuned to caliber and standard operating conditions. The only thing that should be heard is the click of the rifle, and sound of the rounds impacting (only if it’s hard). Designed not to scare off varmints.

Apparently, these guys violated lots of firearm safety rules. And death resulted.

RIP.
Suppressors only work if the round itself is sub-sonic. Hypersonic, the round will create its own “sonic boom”.
Look up use of the Ruger mk.1 by special forces in Vietnam, with specially designated sub-sonic ammo. Or the H&K mp-5k and it’s own 9x19 sub-sonic variant ammunition.
Suppressors diminish the signature, and make it more difficult to detect the source of fire, they cannot silence anything hypersonic, cuz, physics, an shit.
up to you...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In general, a standard pellet gun is unlikely to penetrate a human skull or even cause death, but unfortunately not in this case.
Without going into too much grim detail, there's plenty of soft orifices in a human head, that would allow penetration. There were too many tales of serious and fatal incidents when I was a kid, involving what I think of as the old traditional air-rifles. A projectile also does not need to penetrate a skull to result in serious damage. I've no knowledge of these airguns, but they do seem to be pretty capable bits of kit. John mentioned earlier, 300yds plus.
In any event, weapons are not to be messed with, whatever the type of firearm. Discipline and respect often go hand in hand, and one continuing theme of serious or fatal gun related incidents is a serious lack of one, other, or both.

Another sad waste of life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm
In general, a standard pellet gun is unlikely to penetrate a human skull or even cause death, but unfortunately not in this case.
Without going into too much grim detail, there's plenty of soft orifices in a human head, that would allow penetration. There were too many tales of serious and fatal incidents when I was a kid, involving what I think of as the old traditional air-rifles. A projectile also does not need to penetrate a skull to result in serious damage. I've no knowledge of these airguns, but they do seem to be pretty capable bits of kit. John mentioned earlier, 300yds plus.
In any event, weapons are not to be messed with, whatever the type of firearm. Discipline and respect often go hand in hand, and one continuing theme of serious or fatal gun related incidents is a serious lack of one, other, or both.

Another sad waste of life.
Sure, even though they were illegal I had an airgun when I was a young teenager but this was a 1940s-50s sort of thing with a barrel that cracked open and then you had to pull a spring back, It had tiny .177 pellets. We had a (legal) shotgun too but they are noisy. Black Widow catapults and Crossbows seemed to be totally legal though, and could easily mess someone up. Even an air rifle could easily go through an artery or something and kill someone, I had one friend with a messed-up eye from a pellet. The .30 pellets these high level airguns ones can fire look formidable.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:28 pm I hate to point this out, but this is yet another army officer involved in a fatal civilian shooting. It might have been an accident, but for sure it was avoidable.
There is too much careless gun use by the military and police, and innocent bystanders pay the price. :(
Innocent bystanders - and wives and girlfriends. tooo often.
It seems to be increasing. Almost weekly these days.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The report of an initial shot and wounding, followed by 4 more potential shots has a very suspicious air about it. It wouldn’t be the first time to hear about someone using a gun and not knowing where the rounds are going.
As mentioned, another incident with a uniform present.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:As mentioned, another incident with a uniform present.
The uniform is supposed to be one best trained in rifle safety, and the one teaching others how to be safe.

A sad day, indeed.

Be careful out there everyone.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Freightdog wrote:The report of an initial shot and wounding, followed by 4 more potential shots has a very suspicious air about it. It wouldn’t be the first time to hear about someone using a gun and not knowing where the rounds are going.
As mentioned, another incident with a uniform present.
Yeah it's rather odd. What exactly were they hunting near people's houses? Sounds more like they were trying to pick off local chickens or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ImageImageImageImageImage

"2 Arrested for Shooting Death of 14yr Old in Phnom Penh.

At about 5:30 pm on the 6th of March, 2021 in a vacant paddock near Sangkat Kampol, Kampoul District, Phnom Penh the victim, a 14year old male was shot in the head while playing with other children in the paddock. The child died instantly from a single gunshot wound.

Local Police and the CPU were called to the scene and commenced investigations and forensic examinations of the scene and the deceased. As a result, 2 suspects have been arrested.

CPU Homicide and Forensic teams continued their crime scene searches on the 7th of March locating several spent rifle casing and projectiles near to where the child was killed. Investigations are continuing to locate the weapon used in the killing. CPU will continue to assist Phnom Penh Police Command in this investigation.

RIP little one, taken too soon."

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic