Has anyone gained Khmer Citizenship by marriage?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Has anyone gained Khmer Citizenship by marriage?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:No worries, I'm sure I could get one if needed but I'm not planning on applying for citizenship just yet. 8)
One do those things that costs a lot of grief and gives you basically nothing in return... Where do I sign up?!

Does sort of annoy me that Khmers can become citizens of my country within 3 years but make it impossible for others do do the same.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ergosemper wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 am You can get one quickly by first getting scammed (i.e. land deal gone wrong) and making a ginormous brouhaha about it.
exactly

topic39471.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:49 pm I know 3 who have successfully obtained Citizenship via marriage. The 2 who did it all by the books took 3 - 6 years for the application to be approved! The other guy, who made a donation, had his approved in 1 month!

Are we allowed to know:
1) How much the donation was (approx.)?
2) Could he have obtained Citizenship in this way (with a donation) without gettin' married?
3) Did he have to relinquish his UK (or whatever country he was from) citizenship/passport?
:hattip:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Railroad wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:55 pm Are we allowed to know:
1) How much the donation was (approx.)?
2) Could he have obtained Citizenship in this way (with a donation) without gettin' married?
3) Did he have to relinquish his UK (or whatever country he was from) citizenship/passport?
:hattip:
1) 25K
2) No, he was still required to provide all of the necessary supporting documentation. Would take a much larger donation to be able to bypass all of that.
3) No, Cambodia permits dual citizenship.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

Thanks for the reply.
Very useful!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:09 am
John Bingham wrote:No worries, I'm sure I could get one if needed but I'm not planning on applying for citizenship just yet. 8)
One do those things that costs a lot of grief and gives you basically nothing in return... Where do I sign up?!

Does sort of annoy me that Khmers can become citizens of my country within 3 years but make it impossible for others do do the same.
I'm not sure about that, it's extremely difficult for Cambodian nationals to get visas to live in any country, even just visiting has many obstacles.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'm gonna try a proven (true story) but less travelled road.
Join the Party and loudly and fervently parrot HM's Theme of the Week at every meeting.

I figure that should get me a top-rung job in the Public Service too, if you look at the stats.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:09 am

I'm not sure about that, it's extremely difficult for Cambodian nationals to get visas to live in any country, even just visiting has many obstacles.
Not really. If there's already some Khmer diaspora there (related or not) it's quite easy. I know of several fake marriages ($$), as well as the usual "bring relative over on a tourist visa while she works under the table for the duration" type schemes. They can play the system like a fiddle. And once there, easy path to citizenship, easy to hide assets owned in Cambodia etc. Hell, Chinese have been running citizenship rackets in my county for years. They dint even reside the minimum amount of time, just get fake addresses from fixers and translators who know what to say when interviewed. I wouldn't say ts necessarily easy in every western country, but it's fairly easy where I'm from.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Will probably try for it one day, I like the idea of being able to purchase property in my name without the current restrictions on what you can and can't buy.
Good info in the feedback.. So Thanks. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic