Hard Drive - USB - to Smart TV

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hard Drive - USB - to Smart TV

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:24 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm @Doc67 No-one uses AVI any more. Must be pretty old files. Did you use the same cable for both drives? Maybe one cable can't handle the data? *shrug*
Yes, these were old UK TV series and one was posted on Pirate Bay in 2009. Works fine on my TV and my mates. It's just the big 65' one that wont play ball.

I have tried to convert the AVI files to MP4 via VLC player, but it wouldn't work.

Maybe I could install VLC on his TV so they are supported. Will that work?
But did you try the other cable? Strange that the same file would only play with one HD and not the other. The other possible difference could be the speed of the drive (5400/7200rpm - should say on the label)

I doubt you can install VLC on a TV lol. But if it comes to it, you could try different format converters. I use Handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/ Last resort though really.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:35 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm @Doc67 No-one uses AVI any more. Must be pretty old files. Did you use the same cable for both drives? Maybe one cable can't handle the data? *shrug*
Yes, these were old UK TV series and one was posted on Pirate Bay in 2009. Works fine on my TV and my mates. It's just the big 65' one that wont play ball.

I have tried to convert the AVI files to MP4 via VLC player, but it wouldn't work.

But did you try the other cable? Strange that the same file would only play with one HD and not the other. The other possible difference could be the speed of the drive (5400/7200rpm - should say on the label)

I doubt you can install VLC on a TV lol. But if it comes to it, you could try different format converters. I use Handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/ Last resort though really.
I doubt you can install VLC on a TV lol

Remember, never underestimate my ignorance of these matters!

I tried both cables on the drive when I was trying to get it to power up. The cables and drive are identical, I think the power of my TV was barely enough to fire up one of them but the other one was being obstinate. That's my theory anyway.

I just remembered that last night, over several beers, my mate with the big tv said he has a laptop that he doesn't use. So, plan B is to plug the drive into the PC and connect it with an HDMI. The PC will be able to play AVI files (I think??)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

rockyboy612 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:52 am if it's not the format, not the cable, not the TV usb settings, then it's possibly it's about your hard drives voltage requirement, portable hard drives have a minimum voltage requirement to get full functionality... sadly some require less some require more. This problem is present on old Sat TV boxes in the US, they always recommend using powered external hard drives because they know portable ones may be a hit or miss depending on the brand and model.
If you really want to pursue this, get one of those USB hubs that has external power, have the hub in between the TV and the external drive [this way you are sure it's not a power issue].
I totally agree. They all run off 220 Volts, AC but the Cambodian electric companies run with severe undercapacity, and cannot possibly supply enough power to meet demand. The result is frequent power outages, along with surges, spikes, and sags in voltage. This might have been OK for the 1940s, but is severely detrimental to modern equipment. Even coffee pots these days are computerized and sometimes even online through WiFi. The solution? Generate your own clean electricity.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Marty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:19 pm
rockyboy612 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:52 am if it's not the format, not the cable, not the TV usb settings, then it's possibly it's about your hard drives voltage requirement, portable hard drives have a minimum voltage requirement to get full functionality... sadly some require less some require more. This problem is present on old Sat TV boxes in the US, they always recommend using powered external hard drives because they know portable ones may be a hit or miss depending on the brand and model.
If you really want to pursue this, get one of those USB hubs that has external power, have the hub in between the TV and the external drive [this way you are sure it's not a power issue].
I totally agree. They all run off 220 Volts, AC but the Cambodian electric companies run with severe undercapacity, and cannot possibly supply enough power to meet demand. The result is frequent power outages, along with surges, spikes, and sags in voltage. This might have been OK for the 1940s, but is severely detrimental to modern equipment. Even coffee pots these days are computerized and sometimes even online through WiFi. The solution? Generate your own clean electricity.
Generate your own clean electricity.

Jeez, I can barely use a hard drive without resorting to pathetic pleas for help. I think generating my own electricity is a bit beyond my skill set. (Unless it can be generated by eating, shagging and drinking beers).
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:51 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:35 pm

I doubt you can install VLC on a TV lol

Remember, never underestimate my ignorance of these matters!

I tried both cables on the drive when I was trying to get it to power up. The cables and drive are identical, I think the power of my TV was barely enough to fire up one of them but the other one was being obstinate. That's my theory anyway.

I just remembered that last night, over several beers, my mate with the big tv said he has a laptop that he doesn't use. So, plan B is to plug the drive into the PC and connect it with an HDMI. The PC will be able to play AVI files (I think??)
Have several more beers. I have an ancient TV and just do like that, play on a laptop thru HDMI cable to TV. I drink several beers, nearly to the point of unconsciousness, and then these first world problems in third (even fourth) world nations become not a problem anymore.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc. I don’t think you’re too far away from the truth.

Two identical drives, all things being equal should give the same results. That one drive is heard to be clicking, cyclically, but doesn’t fully spin up, yet works fine on a PC, suggests to me that power is an issue. It may be (but doubtful) that the TV port is not rated at the same supply specification as the PC, and simply leaves one drive just a bit short of power, and another works fine. Some USB ports support data only, not power, but I doubt that’s the problem. Possibly age of the TV, and condition of the socket?

As drives started to increase in capacity, many of the larger capacity drives historically had their own power supply. I shied away from them for travel purposes simply because of the need to carry just too much kit. As a result, i ended up with several smaller drives, in the 500GB range.
The harddrive spinspeed, 5200 or 7200 rpm, also became a factor. As time went on, drives achieved greater capacity within the smaller format.
A powered USB hub will probably cost between $15 and $25. if you can borrow one before buying, you could prove the point first. The hub would (should) stabilise any power issues, and leave the TV port to deal with just data transfer.
Otherwise, just don’t drink 20 happy hour drafts this week.

My larger portable drives are a LaCie Impact wubbery thing, Thunderbolt 2/USB, but not SSD, and a couple of WD. The smaller ones rarely get used now- they’re also WD, 500GB. The two smaller drives are identical spec except colour. On the same computer, they behave slightly differently. Barely noticeable, but you can hear that one spins up slower.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

when i was drunk last year, i saw a TikTok video where a guy had changed the sounds on his computer so whenever he plugged something into his USB and took it out, it made inappropriate Hentai noises,
at the time i thought it was hilarious, downloaded a load of soundclips and did it to my laptop, but because i was drunk i think i got a bit carried away and changed all my sound clips to Hentai noises so pretty much whenever i click on anything like opening documents and saving documents etc it makes the most inappropriate noises,
my drunk self pranked my sober self and i have no idea how i did it or to change it back
true story
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 pm when i was drunk last year, i saw a TikTok video where a guy had changed the sounds on his computer so whenever he plugged something into his USB and took it out, it made inappropriate Hentai noises,
at the time i thought it was hilarious, downloaded a load of soundclips and did it to my laptop, but because i was drunk i think i got a bit carried away and changed all my sound clips to Hentai noises so pretty much whenever i click on anything like opening documents and saving documents etc it makes the most inappropriate noises,
my drunk self pranked my sober self and i have no idea how i did it or to change it back
true story
This is why I stay away from techy things while drunk - especially posting on CEO. My phone and front door keys are about my limit.

I'll happily cook a meal while drunk though, that usually result in some novel and unrepeatable outcomes.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:01 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 pm when i was drunk last year, i saw a TikTok video where a guy had changed the sounds on his computer so whenever he plugged something into his USB and took it out, it made inappropriate Hentai noises,
true story
This is why I stay away from techy things while drunk - especially posting on CEO. My phone and front door keys are about my limit.

I'll happily cook a meal while drunk though, that usually result in some novel and unrepeatable outcomes.
ive made a few videos ill show you later :facepalm: :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic