How can I get a SIM card in quarantine?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How can I get a SIM card in quarantine?

Post by ergosemper »

Oh well, tried to help.

There are two types: data-only and data/call eSIM. You can get the latter from Cellcard. It is issued in the form of a QR.

https://www.cellcard.com.kh/en/detail/cellcard-esim/

https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/smart-esim/
Last edited by ergosemper on Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am From the website it doesn’t look like a normal sim at all. It says you don’t even get a phone number. It’s data only. I have internet access at the hotel, a data only sim does not help me one bit.
Sheesh! Ya just cannot win, can ya?
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

ergosemper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:46 am Oh well, tried to help.

There are two types: data-only and data/call eSIM. You can get the latter from Cellcard. It is issued in the form of a QR.

I just clicked on that cellcard link and it says the esim is available at cellcard stores. I don’t see any way to install online. I am not an existing cellcard customer either.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 am
ergosemper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:46 am Oh well, tried to help.

I just clicked on that cellcard link and it says the esim is available at cellcard stores. I don’t see any way to install online. I am not an existing cellcard customer either.
Where can I get the Smart eSIM?

You can get the Smart eSIM at any Smart Shop nationwide. Alternatively, you can get it for FREE via the SmartNas however you need an existing smart sim with $2 credit

However in smart you can use iCalluPay dont know if cellcard has similar service:
With iCalluPay, you can get in touch with your friends and family even if you’ve got insufficient balance for a call.

With this service, you can request for them to call you, and you won’t be charged or need available balance for the call! Simply send a request to the person you’re trying to call, and if they accept, you’ll be talking in no time.

https://www.smart.com.kh/services/loans ... allupay-2/

Edit just saw your card is not cellcard Which user provider is the sim connected to? Try their site.
Edit 2 just rechecked the the thread - you say its a deactivated metphone card, looks like your screwed!
Last edited by Kuroneko on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

You mentioned you're here to return to work so I assume you know someone somewhere in Phnom Penh who can get an eSIM for you. It's just $2 but of course not just anyone here would do it because it involves registering the eSIM with a passport and then forwarding the QR code to you.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:43 am From the website it doesn’t look like a normal sim at all. It says you don’t even get a phone number. It’s data only. I have internet access at the hotel, a data only sim does not help me one bit.
If you have internet access, you have communications; WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram etc.

Are you seriously saying that you need a sim to make a call by actually dialling an international phone number and paying a fortune for it? Who does that anymore?

This has got to be a wind-up.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:37 am
If you have internet access, you have communications; WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram etc.

Are you seriously saying that you need a sim to make a call by actually dialling an international phone number and paying a fortune for it? Who does that anymore?

I'm starting to think that also! :D

Alternatively he could by a metfone sim online
https://www.metfone.com.kh/en/support/m ... ial-number
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

haha i know its amazing now youve got free Messenger/whatsapp etc calls these days, before 2015 you couldnt even call via whatsapp, skype-skype from an internet cafe used to be my only option to call anyone international, and used to have to pay for skype international credit to call international numbers (worked out cheaper than network charges)

(ps. i know people were here before mobile phones etc existed, in talking about recently)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

I’m trying to call my mom. She doesn’t use WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Signal, Line, or Telegram. She uses a phone. You call the number and it rings in her house. Why is that hard to understand?
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

chrisjones wrote:

I’m trying to call my mom. She doesn’t use WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Signal, Line, or Telegram. She uses a phone. You call the number and it rings in her house. Why is that hard to understand?
Install Skype, buy some credits and give her a call.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic