Sam Rainsy sentenced to 25 years by Cambodian court

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Sam Rainsy sentenced to 25 years by Cambodian court

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 am Cambodia will never recover from pol pot.
lol
Cambodia will never recover from the Angkor kings, more like it.

(the mind set, still)
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 am
samrong01 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 am I do not know if Sam Rainsy is better or worse than the dear leader but I do know that he is not willing to go to jail for his beliefs. He is no Nelson Mandela.
You make it sound like Mandela marched himself to jail like a martyr .... the man was arrested and convicted for bombing and killing innocents in an attempt to overthrow the sitting (albeit despicable) government.

He may have peacefully negotiated a transition from Apahrteid after having his ‘life sentence ‘ commuted and his subsequent release for jail, but the ANC has done absolutely nothing to advance the livelihood of the common SA citizen, black, white, brown or Asian ....

He had a decades long history of being a domestic terrorist, killing and maiming the very citizens he claimed to want to free while doing little to no harm to the ruling elites.

He may be a Saint in the eyes of the western media and it’s faithful stooges who gobble up whatever version of history they wish to peddle on any given day ...... but the man was a cold blooded killer, Marxist and political agitator.

Research the 1983 Church St bombing and remember this was the culmination of almost 20 years of practicing his chosen profession as a terrorist.
Actually I agree with everything you say about Mandela. He certainly was no saint but has been sanctified by the media as a martyr. If Sam Rainsy went to jail in Cambodia he would also become a martyr and there would be protests both domestic and international. By absenting himself from Cambodia he has demonstrated that he is not really committed to any cause and has lost the respect of the population.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 am
samrong01 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 am I do not know if Sam Rainsy is better or worse than the dear leader but I do know that he is not willing to go to jail for his beliefs. He is no Nelson Mandela.
You make it sound like Mandela marched himself to jail like a martyr .... the man was arrested and convicted for bombing and killing innocents in an attempt to overthrow the sitting (albeit despicable) government.

He may have peacefully negotiated a transition from Apahrteid after having his ‘life sentence ‘ commuted and his subsequent release for jail, but the ANC has done absolutely nothing to advance the livelihood of the common SA citizen, black, white, brown or Asian ....

He had a decades long history of being a domestic terrorist, killing and maiming the very citizens he claimed to want to free while doing little to no harm to the ruling elites.

He may be a Saint in the eyes of the western media and it’s faithful stooges who gobble up whatever version of history they wish to peddle on any given day ...... but the man was a cold blooded killer, Marxist and political agitator.

Research the 1983 Church St bombing and remember this was the culmination of almost 20 years of practicing his chosen profession as a terrorist.
Actually I agree with everything you say about Mandela. He certainly was no saint but has been sanctified by the media as a martyr. If Sam Rainsy went to jail in Cambodia he would also become a martyr and there would be protests both domestic and international. By absenting himself from Cambodia he has demonstrated that he is not really committed to any cause and has lost the respect of the population.
He's still very popular. The reason HE doesn't want him round is because he would win an election. There are plenty of his parties members already in prison and it doesn't serve their cause any practical purpose
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 am

History might disagree ...... study Ho Chi Minh ..... you bring western thinking to Asia ..... doesn’t always work out .....
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

How can we help him, is there a gofundme?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He's minted, old money, don't worry.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I dont think Sam Rainsy can be compared to Ho Chi Minh. Ho was always widely admired by his people, even those who disagreed with his politics, due to his total commitment to Vietnam. Sam Rainsy has not demonstrated such commitment. I am not sure he is still popular - everyone I speak to has little admiration for him but of course I do not speak to the entire population. I think any credible opposition would win an election in a landslide whether it included Sam Rainsy or not. Just look at the last municipal elections.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:30 am I dont think Sam Rainsy can be compared to Ho Chi Minh. Ho was always widely admired by his people, even those who disagreed with his politics, due to his total commitment to Vietnam. Sam Rainsy has not demonstrated such commitment. I am not sure he is still popular - everyone I speak to has little admiration for him but of course I do not speak to the entire population. I think any credible opposition would win an election in a landslide whether it included Sam Rainsy or not. Just look at the last municipal elections.
Ok, you’ve lost me now ..... in one quote you say his jailing would create protests internationally & domestically and in the next breath you say he has very little support .

Perhaps you should be in politics, you’ve got the ability to talk out both sides of your mouth simultaneously ... ... ;-)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 am
samrong01 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:30 am I dont think Sam Rainsy can be compared to Ho Chi Minh. Ho was always widely admired by his people, even those who disagreed with his politics, due to his total commitment to Vietnam. Sam Rainsy has not demonstrated such commitment. I am not sure he is still popular - everyone I speak to has little admiration for him but of course I do not speak to the entire population. I think any credible opposition would win an election in a landslide whether it included Sam Rainsy or not. Just look at the last municipal elections.
Ok, you’ve lost me now ..... in one quote you say his jailing would create protests internationally & domestically and in the next breath you say he has very little support .

Perhaps you should be in politics, you’ve got the ability to talk out both sides of your mouth simultaneously ... ... ;-)
Probably because him being jailed is hypothetical and will never happen. If he was jailed he would become a martyr but as it is he has lost much support for absconding.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 am

Read what I said. I said IF he did not leave and he went to jail there would be protests. But since he didnt and left the country his support has gone down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic