February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by Phnom Poon »

so far they've been doing well closing or locking down individual premises
let's see how far they're willing to extend that good practice
when it starts to hit their pockets

i can imagine them sealing the factories with workers still toiling inside
many live on-site or barracked close by anyway
rather than closing and having to pay the workers $40

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doc67 wrote:This is the result when you have an incurious and unquestioning media that just parrots what the government says and considers that journalism. Actually going to do some digging and finding a story is clearly beyond these gormless dweebs. In fact, even when one stares them in the face they still ignore it.
Why are you applying expectations of the media in western countries? Even in western countries when the media agrees or idolizes the government in power stories are routinely ignored.

In the Kingdom of Wonder, Iron Man has made it clear that self censorship is the rule of the day. Direct or indirect criticism of the government isn’t tolerated. One western newspaper was shut down with a sudden enormous bill as an example. On top of that, local media have been sent to China to train how to be a responsible reporters.

‘Gormless dweebs’ is going to far. Careful survival is more like it. That’s just my opinion.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

Covid found is a factory and it doesnt close? Crazy.

I feel for the local businesses already closed like cinemas, gyms, schools etc How long will this closure last? 6 months like last year?
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Does anyone know if the Makro situation announced by CDC was just a warning? It seems it's not getting any attention as much as people should look... Maybe it's still open??

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Josideb wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:00 am Covid found is a factory and it doesnt close? Crazy.

I feel for the local businesses already closed like cinemas, gyms, schools etc How long will this closure last? 6 months like last year?
especially strange considering they closed Naga2, but must of been a ballsy call. The have also closed The Palace Gate Hotel on street 240, which I understand is owned by a daughter of someone at the very top of the heap in government.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:53 am
cambo swa wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am
What just "just"positive mean. Positive is positive. As in the UK, 86% had no symptoms before or on the day of the test. You can infect others without having symptoms. Does HIV ring a bell? Hopefully it gets under control but the exponential spread for now is not looking good.
Very hard to see exponential growth in these numbers:

Number of positive CoVid-19 tests and daily growth
21 feb 533 (+17)
22 feb 568 (+35)
23 feb 593 (+25)
24 feb 633 (+40)
25 feb 697 (+64)
26 Feb 741 (+44)

Rather random to me, other than there's an increase.
Are we there to exponential yet? Or still random? If you don't test you don't find.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

rockyboy612 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 am Does anyone know if the Makro situation announced by CDC was just a warning? It seems it's not getting any attention as much as people should look... Maybe it's still open??

If you mean makro, yes its still open. As far as i know it was only closed for 1 day for a good fumigation.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Josideb wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:00 am 6 months like last year?
God willing I hope not, people here seem pessimistic but such tremendous costs to such a thing.
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic