Headlines Burma ( yes Aung san says you can say Burma)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Headlines Burma ( yes Aung san says you can say Burma)

Post by Yobbo »

The Tatmadaw (Burmese Armed Forces) is the official name of the armed forces of Myanmar (Burma). It is administered by the Ministry of Defence and composed of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force. Auxiliary services include the Myanmar Police Force.

According to the Constitution of Myanmar, the Tatmadaw directly reports to the National Defence and Security Council (NDSC) led by the President of Myanmar.[9] The NDSC is an eleven-member National Security Council responsible for security and defence affairs in Myanmar. The NDSC serves as the highest authority in the Government of Myanmar.
[Wikipedia]

There's something really fu%ked up about a defence force attacking the people it's meant to defend :shock:
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:57 pm The Tatmadaw (Burmese Armed Forces) is the official name of the armed forces of Myanmar (Burma). It is administered by the Ministry of Defence and composed of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force. Auxiliary services include the Myanmar Police Force.

According to the Constitution of Myanmar, the Tatmadaw directly reports to the National Defence and Security Council (NDSC) led by the President of Myanmar.[9] The NDSC is an eleven-member National Security Council responsible for security and defence affairs in Myanmar. The NDSC serves as the highest authority in the Government of Myanmar.
[Wikipedia]

There's something really fu%ked up about a defence force attacking the people it's meant to defend :shock:
I watched a doco in the last few weeks, about Aung San returning to much fanfare, and her pursuit of power. And how it was prevented by the military in power based on the house voting blocs and their own constitution, and how (in order to be leader) a new title was invented for Aung San to bypass the block on her "rule". I will try to find the link to it, as it was a very interesting watch.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

She cant be president, ( before and never) because of the 2008 constitution which blocks anyone whose spouse or sons is overseas citizen from leading the country.

To me she was never a savior, dam, her dad sided with the Japanese during WW2
and after failing to do anything to assist the Rohingya or condemn the Junta in 2017 she lost her international appeal

I dont think we will see elections or freedom for the Burmese any time soon.,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Additionally, she is only feted by the Bamar ethnic group, which is the majority ethnic group in Myanmar. When I lived in Naypyitaw up to 2018, I would often ride my motorbike over to Shan State at the weekend. Speaking to local Shan people, there was no love lost between them and ASSK, based on the historical events which saw them cheated out of declaring an independent Shan state shortly after Burma gained its own independence. I believe a similar view is supported in Chin, Kachin states etc.

Now if I were still living in Naypyitaw, the military bods would have been round to my gaff pretty sharpish to confiscate my ham radio transmitter!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm She cant be president, ( before and never) because of the 2008 constitution which blocks anyone whose spouse or sons is overseas citizen from leading the country.
That reminds me of the doco. But there were other things. She refused to deal with the ethnic cleansing. She refused to refute it or condemn it. Take the woman’s Nobel prize away now. If she didn’t stop it, she’s fucking complicit.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:58 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm She cant be president, ( before and never) because of the 2008 constitution which blocks anyone whose spouse or sons is overseas citizen from leading the country.
That reminds me of the doco. But there were other things. She refused to deal with the ethnic cleansing. She refused to refute it or condemn it. Take the woman’s Nobel prize away now. If she didn’t stop it, she’s fucking complicit.
I agree. While I'd concede that she was probably powerless to stop what the army did, at the very least she should have spoken out and condemned it. She didn't for purely political reasons (tribe politics) and in this way revealed that she has no ethics whatsoever.

Sad, really. And the country is obviously fucked, with or without her.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Here is an interesting NYTimes article that suggests the Burmese military establishment took advantage of the recent democratic period to stock up on the latest high tech junk useful for surveillance and oppression. Had they remained in control since before the first set of free elections a few years ago, they would not have been able to source and buy such equipment due to previous sanctions, which were only lifted after the first elections...... They play a long, calculated waiting game... Sly and selfish with plenty of sons, I'll bet...

(Also. Very little talk about economic sanctions. The world could stop all trade and banks from doing any external business with Burma, either in goods or foreign exchange.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/worl ... lance.html
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sanctions dont work, they tried those for decades>> Beside China has never invoked any sanctions against the junta

I am starting to fear something realy bad is going to take place soon, its been a month of unrest, Yet the Locals hold strong but it seems the military is losing its patience.

Rubber bullets, sound grenades and smoke bombs used during the assault on Myaynigone today

UN Special Envoy on Myanmar, Christine Schraner Burgener says the junta has a clear textbook for staying in power as she urges protesters not to fall into its trap
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peoplea ... p-BB1e7RpY

Myanmar crisis ‘a litmus test’ for ASEAN, says Indonesia’s ex FM
Marty Natalegawa says ASEAN must tell Myanmar’s military to stop shooting at innocent civilians.
Jakarta, Indonesia – As Foreign Ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meet virtually to discuss the situation in Myanmar, one of the region’s most experienced diplomats told Al Jazeera how ASEAN can help resolve the crisis in Myanmar.

Dr Marty Natalegawa was Indonesia’s Foreign Minister from 2009 to 2014, including during Indonesia’s time as chair of ASEAN in 2011. Earlier, he was the director-general for ASEAN Cooperation in Indonesia’s Department of Foreign Affairs.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... sias-ex-fm

Burma or Myanmar?
The brutal takeover by the military, renews the debate about how the country should be addressed, Burma or Myanmar. In the past, the country’s electoral commission had told Aung San Suu Kyi to stop calling the country Burma and instead call it Myanmar, its official name.

In a statement published in The New Light of Myanmar, the electoral commission had chided Suu Kyi, “As it is prescribed in the constitution that ‘the state shall be known as The Republic of the Union of Myanmar,’ no one has the right to call the country Burma.”
Aung San Suu Kyi is in her right to do so, and should continue doing so, in light of worldwide condemnation of the country’s military regime. The electoral commission informed the National League for Democracy (NLD) “to address the name of the state as prescribed in the constitution … and respect the constitution.”

Several Western countries, including Britain and the United States, continue to call the country Burma in unofficial statements of support for the democracy movement in the country. “The United States removed sanctions on Burma over the past decade based on progress toward democracy,” said President Joe Biden in a statement following the recent coup by the military. “The reversal of that progress will necessitate an immediate review of our sanction laws.”
There is a strong emotional and moral connotation to the name Burma. It should continue to be used until effective democracy returns to the country and a mechanism is chosen to make a decision on what to call the country. If calling the country Burma enrages the military so be it. It will still be a small price they have to pay for the brutality that for decades they have unleashed on the country.
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/why-bur ... trys-name/

YANGON, Burma — Demonstrators in Burma took to the streets again on Tuesday to protest last month’s seizure of power by the military, as foreign ministers from Southeast Asian countries prepared to meet to discuss the political crisis. Police in Yangon, Burma's biggest city, used tear gas against the protesters.
The planned special meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations comes in the wake of worsening violence in Burma. The country’s new military rulers over the weekend escalated their use of deadly force and mass arrests to try to quash protests against the Feb. 1 coup that ousted the elected government led by Aung San Suu Kyi.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/burma-pro ... es-teargas
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

unfuckingreal

Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

The weakness of a man with a gun; they have betrayed their family & their people under the instruction of an individual.
TREASON!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic