February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by themistyseas »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:01 pm whats the test cost for travel purposes with certificate?
cheapest here in Phuket is $115 but it goes up to almost $200
The cost for the test with the travel certificate at NIPH is $130. I'm not positive, but I believe payment is cash only.

I also believe that the testing site I went to was only set up for the purposes of testing those in need of a travel certificate. It did not appear possible to do a test there for other purposes, and my understanding was they are also conducting local tests for folks not traveling at Chak Angre and possibly other sites as well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone else find the "Total" cases being mentioned all the time in the media a bit confusing/not essential. I want to know how many current cases there are. I don't really care about the 200 or whatever who got it an recovered and ate back home. I feel the wording always makes I sound like there are xxx current cases when in fact the total tally is irrelevant, we only need to know the current situation.(from arrivals/Feb 20th "event"). I mean, it's still pretty telling that literally everyone here has recovered from it... Not criticizing CEO, more like KT and the way they report it.
805 - 477 = 328 active cases
Some of those 328 aren't related to the Feb 20 "event", they're from arrivals or people still recovering from the earlier one. Saying stuff like "Covid cases soar to 805" is misleading and to say the least, and poor clickbait journalism. And to be honest, the total number is totally irrelevant (except for specific articles, but they seem to feel the need to mention it at every opportunity).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Only 15 new cases detected/discovered today. Which is better if probably meaningless.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:57 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone else find the "Total" cases being mentioned all the time in the media a bit confusing/not essential. I want to know how many current cases there are. I don't really care about the 200 or whatever who got it an recovered and ate back home. I feel the wording always makes I sound like there are xxx current cases when in fact the total tally is irrelevant, we only need to know the current situation.(from arrivals/Feb 20th "event"). I mean, it's still pretty telling that literally everyone here has recovered from it... Not criticizing CEO, more like KT and the way they report it.
805 - 477 = 328 active cases
Some of those 328 aren't related to the Feb 20 "event", they're from arrivals or people still recovering from the earlier one. Saying stuff like "Covid cases soar to 805" is misleading and to say the least, and poor clickbait journalism. And to be honest, the total number is totally irrelevant (except for specific articles, but they seem to feel the need to mention it at every opportunity).
ahhh yeah totally get'cha now
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Agreed.

They also keep listing the full range of nationalities of all the cases. Once you strip out the repetitive guff in their articles you are left with about 100 words, so they pad it out. The Khmer times are the worst for this habit.

This is the result when you have an incurious and unquestioning media that just parrots what the government says and considers that journalism. Actually going to do some digging and finding a story is clearly beyond these gormless dweebs. In fact, even when one stares them in the face they still ignore it.

This is the picture that heads up the Phnom Penh Post update yesterday. Not a single comment or enquiry to the MOH about the idiotic practice of herding people together, with many of those people seeking a test because many have been in contact with infected people.

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If the cost of a test is $130 and the photo shows a testing station then with about 150 people in this shot alone yjey are looking at $19000+.
Good reason to continue each day and if all is in cash ....bonus.

Not saying anything inappropriate is happening but food for thought.

ps... I noted last night that Sokha Hotel was light up like a christmas tree....... $$$$$$$

Why would you want it to end?
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I am advised by a medical professional that the cost of a test including labour is about $12. So if that’s correct, there’s $100+ profit with each test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm also not really that bothered about imported cases. The fact that it's been reported means it has not got through border procedures, is being quarantined and is not a danger to anyone. So why do we need to know? Am I missing something? Reporting imported cases is the same as reporting the number of cases of the country they came from. Meaningless to ordinary people in Cambodia.

What we need to know is those that have got through undetected but of course....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

jah steu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 pm I am advised by a medical professional that the cost of a test including labour is about $12. So if that’s correct, there’s $100+ profit with each test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever known the saying "it's swings and roundabouts"? It's probably like you have quoted, no doubt, but let's hope the profits don't end up in someone's back pocket, let's hope it is more of a business strategy to pay the personal (staff) needs to administer the covid19 vaccines.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A possible 20 February community link to a garment factory worker who tested positive for Covid, has created concern amongst workers, as the main factory remains open.

Garment worker tests positive for Covid-19, prompting calls to shut factory
2 March 2021 9:59 PM
Khy Sovuthy

Hundreds of staff at a Phnom Penh garment factory are being tested for Covid-19 after a worker tested positive for the virus, officials said Tuesday, as the tally for infections related to the February 20 outbreak reached 340.

One building at the Y&W Garment factory has been shut down and 500 staff told to stay home, but more than 4,000 staff are expected to continue working, a factory administrator said, raising concern of the virus spreading.

The 48-year-old woman tested positive for the virus alongside her son, who is the possible link to the February 20 outbreak via his job as a driver for a Chinese national, said Chhim Ra, police chief in Spean Thmar commune, Dangkor district.

“They were sent for treatment at Phnom Penh Quarantine Center”, he said, adding that the pair had gone for testing after showing symptoms.

An administrator who answered a phone number listed for the Chinese-owned factory said that the factory would not suspend operations, raising concern among workers, who work, eat and take breaks in close quarters.

Despite working in a different building to the woman who tested positive at Y&W, the news made workers uneasy, said ironing sector staff member at Po Tith.
Full article: https://cambojanews.com/garment-worker- ... t-factory/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic