Cambodian Court of First Instance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Court of First Instance

Post by Kammekor »

ollym wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just a few bits of extra information that might elucidate things a bit:

I'm in the UK at the moment, and have no idea how much is in the account, though I have reason to believe he had savings.

The bank is the Cambodian Public Bank (aka Campu Bank). I've been in touch with them and they sent me a list of documents I need to provide, all of which (besides the court order) I've been able to track down.

Seems like I might be fighting a losing battle here, but I'll keep trying. I appreciate the help.
Sorry for your loss.

Has the bank registered his death yet?
Is there an ATM card with bank access?

If no (first) and yes (ATM card), you could simply ask someone to withdraw the money from the account. Lot easier and cheaper. They can then forward the money to you in some way.

If not, before going to court I would ask for a statement of the bank account so you can make the right decision. Maybe there's a bank book or ATM slip which can be found in your fathers belongings? They usually state the amount in the account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

OP, you might want to read this thread, in particular the part about the 'document request game'. They'll keep asking for more and more documents until you give up.

Also the banks refusing to reveal how much is in the account. They'll say that unless you can prove your claim and get a court order to have access to the account, you can't have access, which includes a balance enquiry. The UK banks a similar in that regard.

If you are not in the country I would rate your chances at near zero.

Sorry for your loss.

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/bequea ... 41802.html
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 am
ollym wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just a few bits of extra information that might elucidate things a bit:

I'm in the UK at the moment, and have no idea how much is in the account, though I have reason to believe he had savings.

The bank is the Cambodian Public Bank (aka Campu Bank). I've been in touch with them and they sent me a list of documents I need to provide, all of which (besides the court order) I've been able to track down.

Seems like I might be fighting a losing battle here, but I'll keep trying. I appreciate the help.
Sorry for your loss.

Has the bank registered his death yet?
Is there an ATM card with bank access?

If no (first) and yes (ATM card), you could simply ask someone to withdraw the money from the account. Lot easier and cheaper. They can then forward the money to you in some way.

If not, before going to court I would ask for a statement of the bank account so you can make the right decision. Maybe there's a bank book or ATM slip which can be found in your fathers belongings? They usually state the amount in the account.
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father!

I agree with Kammekor, the first thing I would do is try to find out how much money is in the account, to see if it's even worth it. Does anyone have the ATM card with the PIN to see how much money is in the account? (I assume the bank didn't want to tell you this.)

Did he have a will that mentions you as the beneficiary? If you look at the thread that Doc 67 sent, it sounds difficult to get people's money in the bank even if they have a will. But if you don't have one then it may be downright impossible.

If you do decide to try to get a ruling from the court, please get back to us on how it went. Most people in Cambodia have little experience with the court system but it has a horrible reputation. It would be good to learn from some real direct experience.
ollym
Tourist

Post by ollym »

Thanks again for your replies.

A colleague of my father is temporarily keeping his possessions until I can arrange for them to be sent back to the UK. Amongst these were his ATM card and passbook. To figure out if it's worth pursuing this, I asked him to have a look at the account balance on my behalf and based on the amount in there, I will be seeking legal help in getting it back.

I have all the documents the bank has asked for besides the court order. The British consulate in Phnom Penh have also sent me a headed letter confirming my status as next of kin, so that'll help too. Finding the right lawyer is the next step.

Cheers!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ollym wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm Thanks again for your replies.

A colleague of my father is temporarily keeping his possessions until I can arrange for them to be sent back to the UK. Amongst these were his ATM card and passbook. To figure out if it's worth pursuing this, I asked him to have a look at the account balance on my behalf and based on the amount in there, I will be seeking legal help in getting it back.

I have all the documents the bank has asked for besides the court order. The British consulate in Phnom Penh have also sent me a headed letter confirming my status as next of kin, so that'll help too. Finding the right lawyer is the next step.

Cheers!
That's good that you're trying to go for it.

As you can see from the thread that Doc 67 shared with you, many people are interested in this issue. Please do report back, if possible, and let us know how it worked out.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

ollym wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers!
Dear Mr Ollym,
If you have not officially informed the bank of your father's death and if you have a colleague in Cambodia with the ATM card then you should ask the colleague (assuming you can trust him) to withdraw the money through the ATM without resorting to law. You can only get $1000 per day but you can continue until the balance is exhausted. If you officially advise the bank of his death they will freeze the account.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic