ABA e-Cash facility now much higher.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

ABA e-Cash facility now much higher.

Post by Doc67 »

I tried to send $80 to e-Cash today and got a message sayong that the limits are now $100 or multiples thereof up to $1000.

Is this a temporary thing? I use e-cash for $80 top ups as I don't want the hassle of having to change $100 bills all the time.

Plus I occasionally send $20 or so to various people to top up their rice bowls etc. A $100 minimum is highly restrictive.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ABA e-Cash facility now much higher.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I go to my local liquor merchant and give him a $100 note for a slab of Cambodia beer...same result...he's always got change :mrgreen:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I just tested it and it it appears so.

You'd have thought it would be in a banks interest (no pun intended) to keep as much of our money as possible, rather than forcing us to withdraw more than we want or need.

Strange policy indeed.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Now, I realize that I haven't been in Cambodia since a long time due to Covid, but before I always used Wing for small amount transfers (and to get small notes withdrawn over the counter if needed) and ABA for larger money transfers and withdrawals. I guess I'd still be doing the same now.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The mystery is now revealed.

You can use e-Cash for amounts less than $100 but you must withdraw in Riel. For this you need a KHR account as well as a USD account.

However, from 15th March you will be able to withdraw KHR using e-Cash from your USD denominated account, with amounts less than $100.

Watch out for any exchange rate or fee shenanigans.

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

A bit funny that they ask you to open a Riel account that will then become obsolete in a few weeks. But good to know what they are up to.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm A bit funny that they ask you to open a Riel account that will then become obsolete in a few weeks. But good to know what they are up to.
I don't want to open a KHR account because, one day, they might start automatically converting my inward USD transfers into KHR if there is a KHR account available.

I think the squeeze is on for the use of USD for all transactions under $100. Of course, the ruling elites will all need USD for their overseas property and Rolls Royce purchases. My currency converter doesn't do KHR and I doubt any bank would want to touch any, especially big amounts.

I'm getting happier with using KHR and now reject $1 and $5 bills. Even the $10's are now such bad quality I don't really want them either.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I've noticed Canada atms only give out $100 nothing less
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

Yes i noticed the same thing lately at ABA ATMs:
I used to withdraw 80$ to get some change and avoid 100's dollars notes, but i am now proposed 50 dollars note multiples only, other option being to f*ck off
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Doc67 wrote:
Alex wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm A bit funny that they ask you to open a Riel account that will then become obsolete in a few weeks. But good to know what they are up to.
I don't want to open a KHR account because, one day, they might start automatically converting my inward USD transfers into KHR if there is a KHR account available.

I think the squeeze is on for the use of USD for all transactions under $100. Of course, the ruling elites will all need USD for their overseas property and Rolls Royce purchases. My currency converter doesn't do KHR and I doubt any bank would want to touch any, especially big amounts.

I'm getting happier with using KHR and now reject $1 and $5 bills. Even the $10's are now such bad quality I don't really want them either.
The KHR account will have a unique account number, so they're not going to put money into that account unless you use that account number for the transfer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic