BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by GMJS-CEO »

jah steu wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote:
Many will agree that the numbers of ill and deceased are grossly underreported here.
And many won’t. If a single clinic or hospital in the entire country had a very seriously ill person coughing and gasping on the verge of death do you honestly think that it wouldn’t end up as a video on local social media here? The Khmers are obsessed with videoing any kind of drama, accident, fight etc and posting it immediately.
I’m not aware of a single case in the last year of any videos like this. Are you?
Various articles are beginning to appear in the western press acknowledging that there seems to be very few cases of covid in Cambodia, and offering reasons why.
You don’t think it’s possible that actually there are very few cases here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
topic43410.html

I put it in this thread instead.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 pm I am sure the PM will check this thread out after finished the Aaron in Cambodia videos. :ROFL:
He doesn't have to do it himself, the Ministry of Information and Cyber Crimes Unit at the Ministry of Interior monitor online content.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MichealXavier
Tourist

Post by MichealXavier »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm I think it’s covid but there’s no need for defensiveness, covid or pneumonia shouldn’t have some kind of stigma attached to it either way.

Many will agree that the numbers of ill and deceased are grossly underreported here.

@Brody you can keep the personal attacks to yourself, thanks

You're really something
So you don't want to believe it's not covid
Okay fine
Then I'll be the next victim for covid and the rest of my colleagues who visited him in his death
Good luck to you to start your next assumptions and debate over this issue
God bless you
I'm not gonna come to this site anymore
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

jah steu wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm
Ravensnest wrote: My personal experience has been the exact opposite. More than a few of my students have gone to hospital with severe cough and fever only to be given an antibiotic and told they can go to school. When their fever has been detected at the gate, the school calls the parents to find out a covid test was not completed.
And how many of these students did end up having covid? How many were tested? How many tested positive?

My original message or this one is not about the deceased may he rest in peace.
I will take the time to answer you thoroughly.
Theres no need for hostility. I simply said originally that my experiences have been the opposite compared to the other's poster. And I don't understand your question, I typed that none where ever tested for covid.
I'll provide a fresh example regarding a teacher that literally just returned to work from being out since Chinese New year. This teacher went to a local clinic with a bad cough and a fever. The teacher told me immediately after hearing the symptoms the doctors and staff spoke quietly away and after they returned to the patient, they were all acting as if they were afraid of him or her. A doctor listened to their lungs and said it was acute pneumonia. There were no other tests done. They were handed antibiotics, told to stay home and if not better in 4 days to go to a hospital.

The teacher said they had pneumonia in the past and it didn't cause the amount of severe limited lunge function that he/she had. The teacher is certain it was covid. And when they werent better after 4 days, he or she was afraid to go to the hospital. The teacher waited it out in their apartment. I know of another teacher with the Exact same story from 3 months ago, different clinic though.

From my experiences of asking everyone that I know that had been sick with a fever and a cough if they were tested for covid-19, Not one was. I believe many facilities are not testing to keep case numbers low. I believe, if they tested thoroughly and the results saw the light of day it would cause mass hysteria locally.
Still here, in country...
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Hostility? None intended. I merely asked you three questions. None of which were answered.
As far as there being huge numbers of undiagnosed positive cases here, I suppose it’s possible. But IMHO unlikely.
But how any people are on ventilators in hospitals here with covid? Zero? How many people very seriously sick with covid in intensive care units here? Zero?
How many people (apart from the 500 diagnosed cases) hospitalised with covid? No hospitals or clinics reporting cases. Are they all in on this plot to keep things quiet? Amazing coordination.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

jah steu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm Hostility? None intended. I merely asked you three questions. None of which were answered.
As far as there being huge numbers of undiagnosed positive cases here, I suppose it’s possible. But IMHO unlikely.
But how any people are on ventilators in hospitals here with covid? Zero? How many people very seriously sick with covid in intensive care units here? Zero?
How many people (apart from the 500 diagnosed cases) hospitalised with covid? No hospitals or clinics reporting cases. Are they all in on this plot to keep things quiet? Amazing coordination.

A young man died - he was only 31 - and his friends are upset.
It may or may not have anything to do with the current coronavirus, but discussion of covid in Cambodia has been moved to another thread here, topic43410.html

Thanks all.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

jah steu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm Hostility? None intended. I merely asked you three questions. None of which were answered.

You simply refuse to accept my answer to your 3 questions . I'll repeat it one last time. Doctors never tested them for covid. That statement answers your first 3 questions whether you like it or not.

Now, I've played nice. I'll be happy to answer more of yours questions after you answer my 3. 1. How many ICUs have you visited and which?
2. How many ventilators are actually in Cambodia?
3. Why are Doctors not testing for covid as standard practice for patients exhibiting the symptoms? That should be the first thing they check to keep the population safe, but they are not doing it sir.

Just in case you are not aware, there are various levels of severity of covid, just like any other type of health compromise. Just because you have it doesn't mean you need a ventilator. I'm beginning to think you don't know much about this disease. I am at Soviet Khmer friendship Hospital 5 days a week, just to throw out there.

I'd love to know the statistics of Cambodia's hospitals and clinics of how many patients that have been diagnosed with pneumonia in the last twelve months. I'm willing to put my money on record setting case numbers in the last 12 months.
Jah, if you want to reply, tag me in the other thread if you know how do it notifies me. Idk how to do that, so I posted here.
Still here, in country...
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by jah steu »

Ravensnest wrote: Jah, if you want to reply, tag me in the other thread if you know how do it notifies me. Idk how to do that, so I posted here.
I have replied in the thread ‘successfully addressing covid-19 in Cambodia?...’

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic