Crispy Aromatic Duck

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Crispy Aromatic Duck

Post by cautious colin »

kgbagent wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:04 pm Also if you want the crispy skin - heat a pan to quite hot and place the duck skin side down and press it down - this will render the fat and crisp the skin. When it appears 1/3 cooked place it skin side up in the over for 5 mins - take out, wrap in foil, and rest for 5-8 mins before carving.
I'd put the duck into a cold pan personally (skin side down), you will render the fat down much more than shocking it with the heat & not reaching all the fat.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

If you want English take away style aromatic duck:-

Clean the duck:
Boil a large pot water, with spices salt sugar etc etc

Pour boiling water all over the skin of the duck

Cut it in half head to arse. (Chop off the arse bit as well)

Into the pot, add dark soy
Reduce when boiling,
Cook until soft it will look brown or dark probly 90 mins maybe 2 hours
Take them out let them rest,
Once cool cut in half again. So you got 4 pieces

Ie. 1/4 duck..

Put fridge or freeze what u don't want to eat
Would last 2 weeks in fridge

When u want to eat it

Drop it in deep fryer until Chrispy or oven but best best in fryer

Yum yum...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:27 pm
kgbagent wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:04 pm Also if you want the crispy skin - heat a pan to quite hot and place the duck skin side down and press it down - this will render the fat and crisp the skin. When it appears 1/3 cooked place it skin side up in the over for 5 mins - take out, wrap in foil, and rest for 5-8 mins before carving.
I'd put the duck into a cold pan personally (skin side down), you will render the fat down much more than shocking it with the heat & not reaching all the fat.
Exactly, I start my duck breasts in a cold cast iron pan, heat up then transfer to oven. Like the Gordon Ramsay recipe.

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Easy to cook a crispy duck.
I roast the often in the weber bbq.
In a bowl a cup of caster sugar, half a dozen slices of ginger, small bunch spring onions, 6 star anise.
Stuff the duck and stitch it closed with a couple of satay sticks. Mix a couple of cups of boiling water with red wine vinegar and pour over the duck. It removes the grease and opens the pores.
Then mix a couple of cups of boiling water with half a cup of sucrose or rice syrup. Pour and rub all over the duck. Put it in the fridge for a few hours or a day.
Place on a rack in a dish with some water in the bottom. Cover with foil. Cook at 180-200 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and cook at 180-200 for another 45 minutes.
The duck will be brown with crispy skin and really moist flesh. Australian ducks are fat, Thai ducks like Thai chickens are probably fat.
Only takes a few minutes to prepare and its difficult to fuck it up. Eat with cucumber and plum sauce.
Always delicious.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

As a matter of interest, whats the price of a duck in Oz compared to a chicken? In NZ you would be lucky to find one at 3 times that of the same sized chook. A Czech friend of mine often complains about this. Which has me wondering whether it costs more to produce a chicken here because of different requirements or just a scale thing. If i remember rightly they may have cost a bit morein KOW, but not 3 times as much.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ImageImage
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I had a duck or two out in the province never again stinky things and they ate all the grass

ImageImage
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

I usually do 18x 3kg duck at a time so the times would be a bit different ha forgot that part...

Many different ways many different tastes..

Willyhilly. Add some cimamon stick, fresh garlic orange peel, a bay leaf

Making me hungry... Cook them every day ain't eaten one in years... Read about, or people talk about them and think tomorrow il have a 1/4 ya.... But I probly won't!! 😁😁😁
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic