Banlung's Iconic Volcanic Lake Yak Loem Turns Murky

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Banlung's Iconic Volcanic Lake Yak Loem Turns Murky

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Experts claim that the murky lake may be a natural phenomenon.
20 February 2021
Cambodia News, (Ratanakkiri): Boeung Yak Loam, located in Sangkat Yak Loam, Banlung City, Ratanakkiri Province, is one of the most potential natural resort areas for attracting national and international tourists. But it has been reported that from February 20, 2021, the entire surface of the lake is unusually murky.
Phon Khemrin, director of the Ratanakkiri Provincial Department of Environment, said this morning, February 21, that the opacity of Boeung Yak Laom may be due to natural phenomena. He said that 10 years ago, in 2011, Boeung Yak Laom was also similarly murky for 10 to 15 days, before it cleared naturally. The director of the provincial environment department said that according to the report Boeung Lomkot and Boeung Yakkha Om Yakkhara in Seda commune, Lumphat district, are also beginning to become murky. He did not dare to judge scientifically, but noted that the lakes are in overall good condition.
Mr. Nget Pito, Director of the Ratanakkiri Provincial Department of Tourism, also claimed that this is a natural phenomenon that occurs every 10 years, now the surface is gradually becoming more and more transparent.
According to officials from the provincial Department of Industry, Science, Technology and Innovation, this is not the first time that the lake has become cloudy, as it has been in recent years due to natural disasters, such as volcanic eruptions, and Lake Yak Laom is a volcanic lake that can be affected by volcanic eruptions in Asia.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Banlung's Iconic Volcanic Lake Yak Loem Turns Murky

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The lake is usually a clear green color : A blogger on a visit to the volcanic Yak Loem lake describes its natural beauty, and her day with the local Tampuan people, an indigenous tribe living in the area.
https://impactexplorer.asia/my-visit-yeak-laom-lake/
MY VISIT TO YEAK LAOM LAKE (RATANAKIRI)
By Gautier
THE ‘GEM’ OF RATANAKIRI

At my first sight of Yeak Laom lake, there was no doubt in my mind why so many locals and travellers visit. The lake is a unique colour – a natural, vibrant emerald. Standing on the wooden dock on the edge of the lake the view is stunning. As sunlight hits the lake, it shimmers. I sat for a moment to feast my eyes on the green jungle and relax in what is a truly beautiful place. It is not until you dip your toes into the water of Yeak Laom lake that you can you see how clear and clean it is. A walk around the edge of the lake takes you past four wooden platforms. There are also additional places to sit and rest closer into the forest. I chose platform four to swim, the furthest from the entrance and I had it all to myself. I stripped down to my bathers, took a few tentative steps to the water’s edge and dived in. I swam tentatively out to the middle of the lake before returning to the wooden platform. I spent the morning relaxing at the dock: speaking with locals and watching as children bravely jumping from nearby trees in the water. I was falling under Yeak Laom’s spell!
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Didn't realize there was volcanism in Cambodia.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Four volcanic sites are listed in Cambodia. Yak Loen is one of them.
from 700,000 years ago.

We did dodge a bullet tho -

A field of black glassy blobs, strewn across about 20% of Earth’s Eastern Hemisphere, resulted from the impact of a large meteorite about 790,000 y ago. The large crater from which these tektites originated has eluded discovery for over a century, although evidence has long pointed to a location somewhere within Indochina, near the northern limit of the strewn field.
We present stratigraphic, geochemical, geophysical, and geochronological evidence that the ∼15-km diameter crater lies buried beneath a large, young volcanic field in Southern Laos. (on the Bolivan Plateau)

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/3/1252

When i was a kid my dad bought me back an egg sized, surface pitted, lump of black "glass" from Thailand.
One of the strewn shards from this meteor.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

techietraveller84 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 am Didn't realize there was volcanism in Cambodia.
Sok Sabay earthlings...
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 am Four volcanic sites are listed in Cambodia. Yak Loen is one of them.
from 700,000 years ago.

We did dodge a bullet tho -

A field of black glassy blobs, strewn across about 20% of Earth’s Eastern Hemisphere, resulted from the impact of a large meteorite about 790,000 y ago. The large crater from which these tektites originated has eluded discovery for over a century, although evidence has long pointed to a location somewhere within Indochina, near the northern limit of the strewn field.
We present stratigraphic, geochemical, geophysical, and geochronological evidence that the ∼15-km diameter crater lies buried beneath a large, young volcanic field in Southern Laos. (on the Bolivan Plateau)

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/3/1252

When i was a kid my dad bought me back an egg sized, surface pitted, lump of black "glass" from Thailand.
One of the strewn shards from this meteor.
Very cool. Do you still have that gift from your dad?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

No Tech, long lost.
I found this vid. Mine was similar but shaped like a slightly oversized egg, maybe slightly more pitted than the most fire-bombed of these ones.
Mine had a small chip, possibly deliberately made, and you could see into the furtherest reaches of the universe inside its jett black glass.

Keep your eyes out, possibly even in Cambodia ??. But be careful, I believe fakes are common these days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic