How Uber works

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

How Uber works

Post by armchairlawyer »

This Supreme Court judgment from two days ago (in which the Uber drivers won their claim to be employees and thus entitled to the minimum wage), actually contains a very good summary of how the system works for the drivers. Assuming Grab does the same, now I know why I often get quickly accepted by a passing driver who just keeps going in the wrong direction until I cancel him. He probably already has a PassApp passenger on board and just happened to be the geographically nearest driver as he sped past where I was.

Paras 6 to 13 is the relevant bit.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: How Uber works

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

California's Proposition 22 and Australia's Fair Work Commission have recently come down the other way.
Hopefully UK and Eu are a bit more civilised and economically savvy.

Personally i am pretty harsh on this - no way will i use the any part of the gig economy as it stands.
Retrograde, and really bad economic policy.
The West was built by sharing the wealth, primarily by giving fair wages and conditions to all workers. All kinds of businesses grew wings and The Ekomony boomed.
Unlike today, in this era of stagnant/negative real wage growth except for the galloping rich.

- and Uber et al are leading the push to smash all protections and decimate pay and conditions.
Once again - the new BigTech "disrupters" need to have their heads pulled in because they are taking us to places we don't want to go.
imo only

ps, Thanks for that doc, Arm ^^ I am just about to have a peruse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic