D.I.Y and home maintenance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

D.I.Y and home maintenance

Post by IraHayes »

I suppose this will be aimed at those who either own their own place or rent un-furnished/non-serviced apartments.

We are about half-way with repainting walls and ceiling’s in our un-furnished apartment. My mother has started undercoating the security steelwork on the 4 windows down the side of the apartment and I must say the effect has been staggering. It doesn’t stand too close an inspection but given the state of the walls it is a huge improvement. A blind man, as they say, would be pleased to see it!

There’s just the kitchen and my bedroom left to do. I have replaced a couple of really old light fittings, removed all the old screws, and any loose/flaky bits of plaster etc and found some pollyfilla which has done the job quite well.

I have also added a light above the food prep area and there’s 1 socket in the living room that is earmarked to be replaced.

For general maintenance i power wash the communal access pathways and, if the area is clear, the tiled area in front of the ground floor apartment. The market traders clean up well but the tiles just go black very quickly. The power washer strip this off really well and the effect is both satisfying and mesmerising as the bright orange tiles are revealed from beneath a coating of grime.

So am I an anomaly or is anyone else quietly maintaining and doing a little DIY on their place?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: D.I.Y and home maintenance

Post by AndyKK »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am I suppose this will be aimed at those who either own their own place or rent un-furnished/non-serviced apartments.

So am I an anomaly or is anyone else quietly maintaining and doing a little DIY on their place?
I usually do the maintaining also, I decorated all throughout, and also adding a a front roof extension when I opened the bar/restaurant.
Also changed the pipe work in the place I am in now shower kitchen sink, that was after returning home from the super market, finding that we had a small flood. The place is long over due from needing a complete paint job. I don't mind doing this if I was planning on staying in the place, also it keeps ones self occupied, but with the landlords permission of course.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

It's a never ending list but I'm not complaining.
It's an excellent excuse when the kids are acting like little heathens.....sorry hun, gotta go on the roof and clear the gutters, be done in 6-7 hours!

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am I suppose this will be aimed at those who either own their own place or rent un-furnished/non-serviced apartments.

We are about half-way with repainting walls and ceiling’s in our un-furnished apartment. My mother has started undercoating the security steelwork on the 4 windows down the side of the apartment and I must say the effect has been staggering. It doesn’t stand too close an inspection but given the state of the walls it is a huge improvement. A blind man, as they say, would be pleased to see it!

There’s just the kitchen and my bedroom left to do. I have replaced a couple of really old light fittings, removed all the old screws, and any loose/flaky bits of plaster etc and found some pollyfilla which has done the job quite well.

I have also added a light above the food prep area and there’s 1 socket in the living room that is earmarked to be replaced.

For general maintenance i power wash the communal access pathways and, if the area is clear, the tiled area in front of the ground floor apartment. The market traders clean up well but the tiles just go black very quickly. The power washer strip this off really well and the effect is both satisfying and mesmerising as the bright orange tiles are revealed from beneath a coating of grime.

You might be an anomaly but that's a topic for another thread. I have been quietly been DIY for as long as I can remember, so now it's time to boast a little. I do everything. From pumping out my septic tank to rebuilding motorcycles to building up my own solar energy system that makes me independent from the electric company. I learned a long time ago that nobody can do a job worth a shit and nobody's to be trusted. I do a fantastic job and take pride in it.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I'd like to paint part of my building's stairwell which looks like it hasn't seen a paintbrush since before the KR came to town. Have some paint here, and cleaned out the dust and cobwebs yesterday. But not sure I can be arsed, maybe a local will do it for $10 or something. And I know they'll do a terrible job but hey it's only the stairwell.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ah, the communal stairwell.

Someone recently has taken to admonishing the various residents about dumping their fag-ends (for the yanks of a particular dispassion, that’s not a demographic reference) in the stairwell. Sadly, no-one (including yours truly) has commented on the amount of cat shit.

I’ve been tempted to make a start on some home DIY, knowing that it wouldn’t actually be me doing the work, now. A decent jet washing, get the elder sprogs engaged in tile and grout cleaning. Ready for me to tackle some electrics when I get back. Sadly, I’ve just entered and exited the twilight zone that is Heathrow T2, on my way to work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic