February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Koh pich locked down

Post by Jerry Atrick »

theKid wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:57 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:50 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:24 pm

I'm not claiming covid is going crazy in Cambodia, it isn't AFAIK, but nobody knows how large or how small it is. In the big scheme of things it seems relatively small. And the government will do everything to keep it that way and stick to the official narrative: "The government has acted in time and decisive and has prevented a disaster. Every once in a while Cambodia imports cases from abroad, but those are also handled in the same excellent way. After all, Cambodia is one of the few countries with zero death due to covid'.

I just don't buy that narrative.
I think it's brilliant and we are all quite fortunate.

Imagine if they had taken the opposite tack and we were all locked down like Ireland or the Youkay?

That's a nightmare scenario.

Anyhow, there's been a chikungunya epidemic here in the past 12 months with like 15000 confirmed tested cases. It wasn't unknown or ignored.

There haven't been many mysterious deaths in my own Khmer or expat circles. The hospitals are not under strain.

I think we are in a good place.
That’s not a proper indicator. Thailand so far had over 25,000 cases and at no point were hospitals under strain. They had 83 deaths (probably not a single expat) something that won’t be noticed in a normal year.
But I agree that, whatever the true situation is, we have had a largely unaffected life here and can count ourselves lucky.
Damn right, don't bother too much about the "why". Fact is we have been and hopefully will continue to be fortunate
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Brody wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am It's not surprising that Chinese citizens are gaming the system at every opportunity with blatant disregard to the effect their actions have on the rest of society.

SerpentZA, in the very early days of covid, showed social media posts from Chinese people bragging about paying to get forged health certificates and downing handfuls of paracetamol even though they had existing fevers just so they could board flights.......and these post were followed by photos of them eating hotpot in London, Italy etc. bragging about it.

Fucking selfish animals.
Brody,

I usually enjoy reading your posts. I honestly do. But what gives you the right to call Chinese folks "fucking selfish animals" when you and [Mod edit] JB give me shit for calling cambodia a shit hole when it clearly is a shit hole?

As far as the virus is concerned, I know people that flew from Cambodia to Europe/ US and tested positive on arrival. So yea. The virus is well and alive in the Kingdom of [Mod edit]. Why wouldn't it be?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I think we should consider the fact that this is a public forum and which is a powerful representation of westerner thought in Cambodia.

If a senior government person was reading this, he would be forgiven for thinking we are a critical and irrational bunch of guys sometimes.

Some posters have speculated on what is or is not the truth and with a degree of scepticism of government statements.

Private investigators who are tasked with finding out things have a motto - start with what you know to be true and work from there.

What do we know is true? The government does not want the Chinese to be blamed for this outbreak. And the government announced that the infected persons are 19 from China, 1 from Taiwan and 1 from Vietnam. And that the infection emerged from 4 Chinese bribing their way out of quarantine.

Let's ask ourselves - would a government that wishes to falsify the facts release this data that so contradicts their desired narrative? Of course they would not, so that is a powerful argument that the government is in fact speaking the truth in their pronouncements.

Personally I don’t see anything implausible in what has been said. And if it is damning towards a particular nationality, we don't need to hammer that nail so hard, any rational being can draw the conclusions that need to be drawn without us over-egging the pudding.

We should present ourselves as a responsible and rational group who can be trusted to contribute in a helpful and constructive way as behoves our western values and what we believe is the way to behave as guests fortunate to be in this country.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Covid-19 outbreak hits Chinese community in Cambodia
The kingdom has so far fared well in tackling the virus and life in the capital Phnom Penh has largely returned to normal.
FP
Published
2 hours ago
PHNOM PENH (AFP) - An outbreak of coronavirus has hit the Chinese expat community in Cambodia, the country's Premier HE said Saturday (Feb 20), a setback in the South-east Asian nation's otherwise successful containment efforts.

The kingdom has so far fared well in tackling the virus and life in the capital Phnom Penh has largely returned to normal. But a group of Chinese nationals who underwent testing to obtain medical certificates for overseas travel recorded positive results on Saturday, sparking fears of a wider outbreak in the community.

"We have discovered a big community infection with 32 cases... this is a bad situation for us," Mr HE said during a speech broadcast on state-run TV. "Those found positive today are all Chinese."

The increasing presence of Chinese businesses across the kingdom has heightened anti-Chinese sentiment among some Cambodians, and Mr HE urged people not to discriminate against Chinese nationals because of the latest outbreak.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... n-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Any word on the variant of covid they've tested positive for? For whatever reason, Cambodia has so far avoided the original virus. If that's what they've tested positive for, going on past evidence, we may not need to worry quite as much.

But if they've tested positive for a variant not seen before in Cambodia, we might.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission
Mom Kunthear | Publication date 20 February 2021 | 16:00 ICT

Prime Minister HE on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmissions after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours.

Addressing the public from his residence in Kandal province's Takmao town after an emergency meeting, HE said: "I dub it February 20 Community Incident, in which 32 cases -- the largest number ever recorded in a single incident -- were confirmed in just over 10 hours.

"This is an unprecedented outbreak of community transmissions in our country."

According to the prime minister, the latest cluster was traced back to a nightclub known as N8 located in Tuol Svay Prey II commune in the capital's Boeung Keng Kang district.

He said the authorities were alerted to the possibility of a large-scale outbreak on the previous night, when the first 28 cases were discovered with four more confirmed just hours later.

The Institut Pasteur du Cambodge is working to test more samples, he said.

"This is a critical moment for us, at a time when we are striving to fight against Covid-19 imported from Vietnam and Thailand.

"We have done well at the borders, having arrested 31 migrant-brokers. We will continue to arrest anyone involved in smuggling people across the border illegally," he said.

The prime minister called for an understanding from businesses and the general public, announcing the temporary closures of entertainment venues and the cordon of building blocks in areas where the latest local transmission cases have been detected.

He said those living in the area will have their samples taken for testing and undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine. He also instructed the authorities to expedite contact tracing.

"People in the area will be affected. But we don't have any other option because they are at high risk of contracting the virus. No one will be allowed to get in [the blocks], except homeowners, but they won't be allowed to get out thereafter."

HE urged those involved in the February 20 Community Incident, especially those who may have been in contact with the N8 nightclub patrons and staff, to get Covid-19 test and undergo quarantine.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ansmission
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

So they haven’t found any Khmer infected from this outbreak? I suppose it’s possible as the Chinese would only go around other Chinese people in Chinese bars.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 pm So they haven’t found any Khmer infected from this outbreak? I suppose it’s possible as the Chinese would only go around other Chinese people in Chinese bars.
I believe at least a couple of the infected are Cambodians.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 pm So they haven’t found any Khmer infected from this outbreak? I suppose it’s possible as the Chinese would only go around other Chinese people in Chinese bars.
Aren't the clubs they visit staffed with Khmer's including the hostesses ?
Were Only males infected?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Asia 20:57, 20-Feb-2021
China urges citizens in Cambodia to abide by local anti-pandemic rules

The Chinese embassy in Cambodia on Saturday called on Chinese nationals in the country to strictly abide by the local COVID-19 pandemic prevention and control regulations.

This comes after Cambodia confirmed a new community COVID-19 outbreak in capital Phnom Penh, with 32 cases detected [of Chinese nationals testing positive for Covid-19.]

A nightclub, some apartments, as well as residential areas have been temporarily locked down; the swab samples of residents in these places will be sent for testing, Prime Minister HE said.
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-02-20/C ... index.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic