Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

Post by Alex »

Fragile men, said the snowflake. That's hilarious.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Okay, so I read through the whole article. I feel like it could use a little fine tuning and being that she had only planned to stayed a short while (7 days) and limited access to internet she probably was rather unprepared and lacked tools needed to better adapt. Also, being she spent most of her time on an island and the other 3 weeks in Sihanoukville gave her a different experince than someone based in PP or SR. But we are all entitled to an opinion and I could be wrong.

Whitening Products- I wouldn't say the beauty products have so much to do with race as class issues. It used to be whiter skin signified wealth if you were paler chances are you weren't working in the fields. You probably had a better paying job, and more income. That beauty preference has yet to fade away. Its similar to how heavier women are viewed as a beauty standard in parts of Africa weight=enough to eat and wealth. Also if you look you can find skin products without whitening. I personally love Korean skincare and you can find shops that carry them. In Sihanoukville fo example they have a Tony Moly store which many of it's lines of products are free of whitening formulas.   (Note: On further review she does mention this is a class issue in reply to another person's comment)

Health- Sounds like she had some health difficulties. I don't know enough to judge though almost everyone gets sick when they go somewhere new until there body adjusts to new germs. I am sorry she had a rough time and hope all is well now.

Laundry- I feel like thats a her thing. You can get little sink washers and do you own laundry. But maybe that wasn't feasible in her accomadations?

Eh, some of the teachers are underqualifed, and uninterested. It comes with being a developing nation that pays maybe 2k. As the Country grows and improves they will raise standards though you are always going to have people who are just showing up for the chack thats in almost every field.

Male sexpats that use kids do exist and are sickos, but she makes it sound like there are armies of them and almost all Western men are there for that. Which isn't true I am gonna say she worded that poorly.

I do agree that Cambodia is rather affordable, the weather can suck, its a beautiful country, finding jobs can be easy, domestic violence and rape among locals is a problem, they can really celebrate, LGBTQ+ rights have improved (though they still have far to go.) ,
Daydrinker
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Daydrinker »

Sadly, many ignorant people from around the world think expat men living in SE Asia are out to hurt children. In reality, the vast majority of crimes against children are conducted by citizens. And, this worthless blogger continues to perpetuate this ugly myth.

The few disgusting foreigners that do molest children feed off the the desperation of 3rd world countries not just in Cambodia. This has to stop, not because it makes expats look bad, but because all children need to be protected from these monsters.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Daydrinker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:24 pm Sadly, many ignorant people from around the world think expat men living in SE Asia are out to hurt children. In reality, the vast majority of crimes against children are conducted by citizens. And, this worthless blogger continues to perpetuate this ugly myth.

The few disgusting foreigners that do molest children feed off the the desperation of 3rd world countries not just in Cambodia. This has to stop, not because it makes expats look bad, but because all children need to be protected from these monsters.
It's a really annoying false stereotype. Most of the long-term foreign residents I know here are parents, and local people are very protective of children too. There's this perception in the west of Cambodia being a row of shacks along a road with landmines and skulls on the verges and child prostitutes waiting in the shadows. This mong-head back packer is just a judgemental fool.

On that topic, the Khmer Times had a post a few days ago which was responded to by a Scandinavian chap, the site he linked to had names and nice-sounding biographies of load of creepy Siem Reap residents who were "framed". They all seem to have had a one thing in common- a thing for underage boys. I Googled his name and it turned out he did a few years for molesting boys in Siem Reap. So I tried to report it but it seems it didn't break any of Facebook's rules. What the fuck is up with that?

Besides all that I can't believe how many companies have Facebook pages that aren't moderated in any way and often contain slanderous messages. No matter what the article is about you'll get some barely literate imbecile in Long Beach who hasn't been in Cambodia since 1986 telling everyone that the Yuon is to blame. Making any comment on the Phnom Penh Post's page will make you a target of some dopey twats.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

theKid wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm
Queef wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:14 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:59 pm
Queef wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:08 pm

Huh? Where did you pull that from?
TheKid:
You are aware that she is talking about foreigners (worse: white males —> currently considered the most horrible part of human kind), while each of the headlines you so (self)-righteously flashed contained stories about local Cambodians.
Ah, I see.

So his offhand joke triggered snide, counterfactual white privilege rhetoric. Gotcha.
Where do you see a joke? Snide? Counterfactual white privilege rhetoric? What? Are you that slow? The man couldn't even ready the entire article without getting in his feelings ahaha.. what a pathetic loser. No surprises here. Expats in Cambodia... 😉
Haha. Triggered much, snowflake?
Triggered? I'm just stating the obvious, kiddo.

[Mod edit: enough of this bickering]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic