Rents in Phnom Penh plunge 20%

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Rents in Phnom Penh plunge 20%

Post by Strawberryshake »

With rents dropping it makes the purchase prices versus the rental returns even more out of balance.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm With rents dropping it makes the purchase prices versus the rental returns even more out of balance.
Yeah, this is a very good point. I guess it's variable as to location but I'm not seeing associated reductions in Daun Penh real estate purchase prices. Maybe it might show come bargaining time but haven't seen it in listing prices...yet. Exceptions would be new condo units though like at Koh Pich where I've seen discounts listed.

Where I want to live, definitely cheaper and easier to rent than buy imo.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm you can stay at Nagaworld for $20 a night now lol
That's the headline rate on their website, but when you click through it becomes $37, after taxes and services charges. That's going some for add-ons.

OTOH, you can book through booking.com at $25 inclusive.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:20 pm
Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm With rents dropping it makes the purchase prices versus the rental returns even more out of balance.
Yeah, this is a very good point. I guess it's variable as to location but I'm not seeing associated reductions in Daun Penh real estate purchase prices. Maybe it might show come bargaining time but haven't seen it in listing prices...yet. Exceptions would be new condo units though like at Koh Pich where I've seen discounts listed.

Where I want to live, definitely cheaper and easier to rent than buy imo.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50812498/p ... -slide-20/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:46 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm you can stay at Nagaworld for $20 a night now lol
That's the headline rate on their website, but when you click through it becomes $37, after taxes and services charges. That's going some for add-ons.

I have a mate that's been there for over over 2 months and dealt first via Agoda and then directly with then at $23 a night. Sadly he got a rate rise yesterday, with no notice, up about $50 a night. He moved to his families house for a week! The lobby was rammed with Chinese checking in. The deal was still showing on Agoda but it wouldn't accept a booking so someone pulled the plug on that one.

They said he could come back in a week and the same deal should be available. I think the place is just tolerable with a few Chinese in there, when it is rammed there will be a fog of cigarette smoke in the air. He did say that in the last few days he was woken up a couple of time in the middle of the night with loud voices and doors slamming.

I know this is now wildly off topic but the Indian restaurant in their food court is excellent with set meals (lamb curry, rice, Bombay potatoes and a popadom) for $5 and some of the best fresh nan bread I have ever had - thin and crispy, very hot and very tasty. You can take your own water or drinks to the food court. The bar upstairs also does a 2 for 1 glass of red wine for $4.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:41 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:46 am

I have a mate that's been there for over over 2 months and dealt first via Agoda and then directly with then at $23 a night. Sadly he got a rate rise yesterday, with no notice, up about $50 a night. He moved to his families house for a week! The lobby was rammed with Chinese checking in. The deal was still showing on Agoda but it wouldn't accept a booking so someone pulled the plug on that one.

They said he could come back in a week and the same deal should be available. I think the place is just tolerable with a few Chinese in there, when it is rammed there will be a fog of cigarette smoke in the air. He did say that in the last few days he was woken up a couple of time in the middle of the night with loud voices and doors slamming.

I know this is now wildly off topic but the Indian restaurant in their food court is excellent with set meals (lamb curry, rice, Bombay potatoes and a popadom) for $5 and some of the best fresh nan bread I have ever had - thin and crispy, very hot and very tasty. You can take your own water or drinks to the food court. The bar upstairs also does a 2 for 1 glass of red wine for $4.
The $25 offer on booking.com has gone for tonight but available from tomorrow onwards (most nights $24).
Booking.com usually take 15%, so the net take for NW would be $20.40 (on the $24 price). That's for single night bookings. If they are getting cash for a long stay, they should be happy with about $15.
Re the Chinese coming for their New Year, this could be the last hurrah for NW. Once Macau is vaccinated and fully open, the hordes will be redirected there. I'm long LVS and WYNN so I've put my money where my mouth is!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

LVS and WYNN look like pretty smart longs.
Thanks for the Naga deals, please keep them coming.

I'm currently on a good deal paying 500 all-inclusive in a big room and like living in hotels due to my being single, but a change or a serviced apartment on the river in the action would be better. up to 1000/mth.

Thanks, in advance, Lazy
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm LVS and WYNN look like pretty smart longs.

I'm currently on a good deal paying 500 all-inclusive in a big room and like living in hotels due to my being single, but a change or a serviced apartment on the river in the action would be better. up to 1000/mth.

Thanks, in advance, Lazy
There is a superb SA on Riverside at 500 + 0.30 elec but has noise problem from a bar operating 9.30pm - 1am (usually).
KunKhmerSR
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by KunKhmerSR »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 pm who was paying nearly $3k for just an apartment, in cambodia?
Supply and demand. PP City center is full, there's no where to build but up so certain people are willing to pay top dollar.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm LVS and WYNN look like pretty smart longs.

Thanks, in advance, Lazy
yeah i'm currently paying 750 for my place all inc, has a private rooftop gym/pool/skybar on top floor, no contract no deposit, with the unpredictable current climate its a safer bet, plus the amount of apartments in PP that require numerous flights of stairs is a pain, its nice having a lift for a change :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic