School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 45301
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2833
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

I Just Want an Apology, School Principal Says After Suing Ex-Pupils
3 min read

Va Sopheanut
| Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 pm .

The principal of a Takeo province high school says he has sued five former students for defamation as a warning after they posted critical comments on a Facebook video of him drinking and singing karaoke.

Chheuteal Chrum High School principal Panh Putheara said he was insulted by the ex-pupils calling him “neak” — a Khmer word that means you, but is considered as lacking respect — and would donate the potential 50 million riel in damages he is seeking for mental suffering, or about $12,500, to the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital and school constructions if he wins the case.

The video was posted on January 8 by the school’s deputy principal and shows Putheara standing and singing karaoke behind a table that has some beer cans on it. Putheara said this week that he was not drunk, and it was at home during the holidays in his private time as a “normal citizen.”

The five ex-students’ comments have been deleted from the Facebook video, but Putheara saved screenshots of two of them.

In one, Thun Piti, 19, says: “Sorry for the bad comments, teacher, but I would like to request that there be no posts on Facebook, because it is not a good model for many students.”

“Don’t follow the teacher’s bad points, only follow his good points,” Piti says.

In another, longer comment, Pan Nak, 26, says wine is one of Buddhism’s four evils.

“You are a teacher, you are a principal, you are an educator, you are a role model for children! Do you think this video is suitable for public posting like this? How many tens of thousands of children are under your leadership and are receiving bad influence from you?” Nak writes.

“I want to tell you that children who go to school have hopes, they need a guide, they need you to take their hand, they need a light to reach their goal. Please consider your actions and professional ethics.”

Putheara said he had sued the five ex-students for defamation because they insinuated that he drank to excess.

“They should apologize, first of all, [because] they insulted me, called me ‘neak,’ neak every time, neak should not commit the four evils,” he said. “I can’t accept it.”
https://vodenglish.news/i-just-want-an- ... ex-pupils/
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 9648
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 5290
Burkina Faso

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by John Bingham »

What a fucking palaver.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 3018
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 551
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 am What a fucking palaver.
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
simon43
Expatriate
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Reputation: 173
Location: Naypyidaw, Myanmar
Contact:
Myanmar

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by simon43 »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 am What a fucking palaver.
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
So what did you say?
User avatar
lagrange
Expatriate
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:49 am
Reputation: 279
New Zealand

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by lagrange »

simon43 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 am
cptrelentless wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 am What a fucking palaver.
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
So what did you say?
A small grammar correction here: Libel is written, slander is spoken. I don't know why there is a difference, its all potato potaato.
"When everyone around you is mad, that becomes the new sanity "
User avatar
Marty
Expatriate
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am
Reputation: 342
Canada

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by Marty »

lagrange wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:03 am
simon43 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 am
cptrelentless wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 am What a fucking palaver.
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
So what did you say?
A small grammar correction here: Libel is written, slander is spoken. I don't know why there is a difference, its all potato potaato.
I say potato, you say tomato.
User avatar
Alex
Expatriate
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 am
Reputation: 680
Location: Bangkok
United States of America

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by Alex »

Small men with hugely inflated egos, the bane of Southeast Asia. Without the good womenfolk, these countries would all have collapsed already, and I'm only half joking.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 4048
Cambodia

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by clutchcargo »

Not having seen the video, and given the comments, it appears it didn't show the principal in a good light..

Given it was taken at a private affair, I wonder whether the vice-prinipal who posted the vid on FB sought permission from the principal?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm
Reputation: 774
Cambodia

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'm guessing these students had some unrevealed beef against their teacher and used this as a way to get at him.
One big cause of resentment is corporal punishment.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 4082
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 1050

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Well since the big guys can do it I guess everyone can? Shows how fucking stupid this whole law is. Hopefully he gets so much bad publicity he drops the charade. What a douche.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alain P-B, Apopheniac, Arget, Bing [Bot], Bookface, Kammekor, Lost50, mossie, Ong Tay, pongtebsangsa, steelyRon, username, YeP and 1005 guests