School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

I Just Want an Apology, School Principal Says After Suing Ex-Pupils
3 min read

Va Sopheanut
| Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 pm .

The principal of a Takeo province high school says he has sued five former students for defamation as a warning after they posted critical comments on a Facebook video of him drinking and singing karaoke.

Chheuteal Chrum High School principal Panh Putheara said he was insulted by the ex-pupils calling him “neak” — a Khmer word that means you, but is considered as lacking respect — and would donate the potential 50 million riel in damages he is seeking for mental suffering, or about $12,500, to the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital and school constructions if he wins the case.

The video was posted on January 8 by the school’s deputy principal and shows Putheara standing and singing karaoke behind a table that has some beer cans on it. Putheara said this week that he was not drunk, and it was at home during the holidays in his private time as a “normal citizen.”

The five ex-students’ comments have been deleted from the Facebook video, but Putheara saved screenshots of two of them.

In one, Thun Piti, 19, says: “Sorry for the bad comments, teacher, but I would like to request that there be no posts on Facebook, because it is not a good model for many students.”

“Don’t follow the teacher’s bad points, only follow his good points,” Piti says.

In another, longer comment, Pan Nak, 26, says wine is one of Buddhism’s four evils.

“You are a teacher, you are a principal, you are an educator, you are a role model for children! Do you think this video is suitable for public posting like this? How many tens of thousands of children are under your leadership and are receiving bad influence from you?” Nak writes.

“I want to tell you that children who go to school have hopes, they need a guide, they need you to take their hand, they need a light to reach their goal. Please consider your actions and professional ethics.”

Putheara said he had sued the five ex-students for defamation because they insinuated that he drank to excess.

“They should apologize, first of all, [because] they insulted me, called me ‘neak,’ neak every time, neak should not commit the four evils,” he said. “I can’t accept it.”
https://vodenglish.news/i-just-want-an- ... ex-pupils/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: School Principal Called "Neak" by Ex-Pupils Sues for Defamation

Post by John Bingham »

What a fucking palaver.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 am What a fucking palaver.
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am
You say that, but your neighbour can put in a complaint about something you said and because you "brought the name of the nation of Cambodia into disrepute" you can get sued for libel. The fine for libel is maximum of $2000 under Cambodian law, and yet if you somehow have insulted Cambodian values that can increase beyond that, or the judge can just stick it up to whatever amount he wants if you bung him some coin. Libel seems to be the one place you can really turn the screws without any reference to the actual law. Evidence obtained illegally? Evidence fabricated? No fucking problem. It's why you're always told to hold your tongue here. It's beyond law.
So what did you say?
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

simon43 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 am
So what did you say?
A small grammar correction here: Libel is written, slander is spoken. I don't know why there is a difference, its all potato potaato.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

lagrange wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:03 am
simon43 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 am
So what did you say?
A small grammar correction here: Libel is written, slander is spoken. I don't know why there is a difference, its all potato potaato.
I say potato, you say tomato.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Small men with hugely inflated egos, the bane of Southeast Asia. Without the good womenfolk, these countries would all have collapsed already, and I'm only half joking.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Not having seen the video, and given the comments, it appears it didn't show the principal in a good light..

Given it was taken at a private affair, I wonder whether the vice-prinipal who posted the vid on FB sought permission from the principal?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'm guessing these students had some unrevealed beef against their teacher and used this as a way to get at him.
One big cause of resentment is corporal punishment.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Well since the big guys can do it I guess everyone can? Shows how fucking stupid this whole law is. Hopefully he gets so much bad publicity he drops the charade. What a douche.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic