Banksy- art makes you think

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by Phnom Poon »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:22 am Image
'the godfather'
i like it

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm Image
i think you need some antibiotic cream on that

monstra mihi bona!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Photos, managed to get two more of the masking and painting of the Honda's tank.

You can see the surface just below the material.

Now without the masks, both sides of the tank showing colours, the tank has been rubbed down with 600 wet and dry paper, then it's had a coat of clear coat (laquer) then rubbed with 1200 wet and dry. Tomorrow hopefully I will apply the final colour and see the results.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:15 am The front mudguard,
I reeeally like this Andy.
I actually thought it was a well constructed paving stone road when i first saw it

lol, at least you can pretend the local Cambodian roads are like that
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's getting there slowly - very slowly - but no rush. To be honest it just looks a total mess right now :( smiling will follow soon.

Both sides of the tank

Top view

Now just waiting for the paint to cure a little then plenty of rubbing once more, I am thinking it would have been easier in the long run to have bought some iridescent colour to start with. But probably not here in the kingdom of wonder.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Had a pretty busy day with it, things don't always turn out like it's planned. Things we're planned in my mind, and I could see what I wanted, but the paint and bike tank had other ideas.

Not exactly what I had pictured.

But nevertheless it's getting there, but plenty of work to do, if I have that picture of what I want in my head.
So, only thing to do is slog on, the only way of achieving what I want, or more so what I want to see.
In-between each coat of paint it's spending time wet flatimg the tank down, then drying it free of water and dust.
Well it eventually came right, painting the last two coats in the outside darkness, followed by 4 coat's of clear coat (laquer).
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Andykk if what you meant by iridescent paint is like the color changing khameleon type of paint then it is available here in the KOW.
https://www.facebook.com/Samuraipaint.cambodia/

some other techniques:

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

beaker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 am Andykk if what you meant by iridescent paint is like the color changing khameleon type of paint then it is available here in the KOW.
https://www.facebook.com/Samuraipaint.cambodia/

some other techniques:

beaker thanks for your reply on the subject, I am honestly aware of Samurai paint products being here in Phnom Penh, I know where to obtain it from being that of the outlet near the airport, and it's that of an excellent product that will give good results, and probability it's the only brand of its kind on-sale here, being widely promoted and used by individual's, and also the professional motorcycle custom painters here in the city. There's probably very little choice of what products are again available for the individual persons, compared to that of our home countries.
To go a little deeper on these lines, and this is only my personal view on the subject. Just from the outset of, that being the beginning of the sales and its availabilities, I do unfortunately I see it has some type of control in the limitations of product availability, and the control of such, like many other items imported, producing a monopoly for the importers and sales of the product, over the people who do use the products, being that it effects them more so from the beginning, not only of high cost, but their learning and teaching skills, being that the case is of what available materials are at hand from the outset, the individual's "learning" to the end result of "worker" (that of someone whom have learnt, having skills to apply a paint product, being that of the persons learn skills, from a teacher or self-taught and therefore too giving that of an end goal hopefully for some, now resulting in the means of their work and profession, hence that of their means of a personal income, giving them a standard of living.
I would say that I fell into the later of this being an individual who firstly learnt the skills by oneself at a very young age, and then by others who were in the trade, seeing the willingness in me to further my skills. Being not certified in my own country I was considered a Simi-Skilled worker, unlike my father at the time of his profession being that of a Journey man, and my brother serving his time has an apprentice in the coach-building trade for a number of years until qualified. But I have no complaints being that the skills I had learnt kept me in work giving me a living and opportunity, resulting that I am now living in the land of wonder.
In my working life I have applied all manner of paint materials via so many applicators too an extensive range of objects, let’s say from high-rise buildings too door handle's, there are very few objects I haven't painted. Commercial vehicles too prestigious ones, being that I also trained has a brush-man, called in its time, I used to finish by hand what the spray guns couldn't reach or left over-spray, for example; the rear dish of a commercial petroleum tanker, being the quality of its overall spray finish. That's mainly where my work led me, working (sub-contracting) for the main oil companies over many years.
Being in the painting business for so long, l told myself I would not paint again once I arrived here. This was because at a certain period I was suffering what resulted in having bouts of severe depression, funny in some ways at that stage of my life, the feelings would come on when I picked up the spray gun to start applying the company colours to the petrol dispensers that I would rebrand into company livery. Be it from the early days of Petra Fina, to the continuous contracts for British Petroleum, Shell, Esso, just to name a few, and at the time my workplace was anywhere on the land being bordered by the sea, mostly in the winter months. I would suffer money penalties for the job not being completed on time, this never happened, the work always was completed. If you happened to see an outside painter on your travels, the lonely man painting around snow and hail storms from John a Groves to Lands’ End it was probably me.
Apologises for talking about myself but it's not always an easy ride in life wherever you happen to come from, but being here in some ways shows more of the opportunities we have had in that of a first world country. It may also give you the better understandings of the country and people, being that you now reside in their neighbourhoods or villagers.

Back to the object in question the motorcycle tank and the painting of.
Firstly I have not used Samurai Paint products because of the expense of the product starting at the lower price of $8.99 per spray can, being that I have also used a minimum of 5 colours, Samurai would have been an expensive layout overall, although I had been advised to use their product by some Khmer motorcycle acquainted friends. I have used actually what they deem has a cheap and that of a no good product, them also preferring the name of Samurai.
The paint product I have used is another import product from Thailand priced at approximately $1.30 per can, and bought locally and very convenient from a nearby well stocked handyman store. The paint is Acrylic based, and for this application is not favoured because of the vicinity, a petrol spill will result in removing the fresh paint, overtime it will become more resilient has it cures, but will totally benefit from a top coating of 2K clear coat (lacquer). The former is only of very little setback, being that the product is so versatile in its use and application value. Personally I rate the product very highly because of its versatile uses, more so for someone whom wishes to learn, or even the skilled whom wanted to experiment in application and there limitations and understandings.

I was going to post the results when the job was completed, but take a look at the result, although I found it a difficult subject to photograph.

This is the paint used

A few views of the tank

Like I was saying its not finished just now, l have a little more work to do. It involves rubbing down the tank again and adding some highlights, then again a clear coat. I will post the results.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Back to the real subject, I came across this tag at the opening of a alleyway in the city one dark night.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just a few more of the motorcycle tank.

Still not finished yet, but getting there, put them up here when it's done.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I think I have enjoyed this little project, I has been interesting watching the way the painting had changed along the way.
This is what I had this morning.

I have found most of the stages have been worthy of a finish, I particularly liked when the tank showed more blue. But I decided today I was in the mood for a little more.

The motorcycle tank had been wrapped in the textiles for the last time.

It's always interesting what it's going to be like once you have applied the paint, to the stage of unwrapping the material away from the tank because I suppose that in a way it's like painting blind, although you know where it's going, and the amount you are applying, but not knowing what the end results are mostly.

Using aerosol cans, spray paint cans, can be interesting in there own right, most of us have probably used one at some time, possibly for a small diy job around home, or even to paint a bicycle in your youth. They can be a useful tool for many touch up projects, more so when you would not want to leave brush marks. It's also better to build up the amount of paint you wish to apply, slowly, mostly to avoid runs.
The spray can has two liquids inside it's can , one is the paint and the second liquid providing pressure to push out the paint, this liquid being the propellant is actually gas, once you start to shake the can the can the ballbearing inside the can that triggers one of the liquids in the can to change too gas, because the ballbearing gets the liquid too boiling point and turns the liiquid to gas, in turn this gas will force the paint out of the can, doing so you must remember the paint is very thin.
So what do we have now?

Spray can's, are handy in some situations, and come with so many paint products. At one time they were very handy in a contract I once gained, I was retouching aluminum windows, using an eatch primer, I had many windows to paint on that high-rise, it was a lot easier dangling with spray cans than paint cans.

Hope, who may be looking, that you may enjoy the effects of the paint results from that of a cheap spray can.

All that's left to do now is wait a while, and then give the tank a wet flat and polish.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic