Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

Post by pissontheroof »

Equinix wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:20 am My landlord is being a dick.

In the last 1,5 year he build a new house next to the apartment building and a new house in the countryside. He got three cars traveled to Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Europe twice.

I asked him for a covid discount on my rent ($350) and a discount on my electricity (1,000r). He just blatantly said no. He needs to pay his mortgage.

So he can f himself. I'm moving out and trying to get others in the building to do the same.

Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
Please . :please: In camboian language ... Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
[/quote]
I am moving too because of that . I told him to show me his bill from the electrc company and he won’t do it .
I cussed him with every bad word i know in the american language and said I refuse to pay anymore .
I said I am paying enuf for the whole nieghborhoods electricity and i will move ASAP which could take me 3 months because that’s how much unreturnable deposit he has from me
And nowhere for me to go here
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Did you guys not have an agreed upon rate when you signed the lease? If not, I'm not sure what to say, but make sure you do in the future. That's pretty basic. If you did have a rate agreed upon in the lease, that's what you pay...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

Electric Earth wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm Did you guys not have an agreed upon rate when you signed the lease? If not, I'm not sure what to say, but make sure you do in the future. That's pretty basic. If you did have a rate agreed upon in the lease, that's what you pay...
All leases have agreed electric rate and rent! Pay what you owe!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 am

In the last 1,5 year he build a new house next to the apartment building and a new house in the countryside. He got three cars traveled to Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Europe twice.

I asked him for a covid discount on my rent ($350) and a discount on my electricity (1,000r). He just blatantly said no. He needs to pay his mortgage.

So he can f himself. I'm moving out and trying to get others in the building to do the same.

Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
Please . :please: In camboian language ... Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
I am moving too because of that . I told him to show me his bill from the electrc company and he won’t do it .
I cussed him with every bad word i know in the american language and said I refuse to pay anymore .
I said I am paying enuf for the whole nieghborhoods electricity and i will move ASAP which could take me 3 months because that’s how much unreturnable deposit he has from me
And nowhere for me to go here
[/quote]

Apartment buildings have (legally) a higher rate than renting a regular house. I think it gets up close to 1000r kw/hr instead of whatever it is normally in PP (700R ish, I think). Not an air-con family so power bill rarely above $25 for our family of 4.

Didn't get any covid discount, but did lock in another year at same rate as the past 12 months, which considering our prime location I'm more than happy with.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I would suggest contacting EDC direct they are fairly responsive.
https://www.edc.com.kh/
https://www.facebook.com/EDCcambodia/

I could not find the exact official one but here is a comprehensive list of prices
http://www.cambodiainvestment.gov.kh/wh ... -cost.html

this was also an interesting read - https://www.movetocambodia.com/practica ... -cambodia/

However, as noted as you have signed a contract might prove problematic to get out of
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Rents in Phnom Penh plunge 20%
Hin Pisei | Publication date 10 February 2021 | 21:58 ICT

Rents for serviced apartments in Phnom Penh had tumbled nearly 20 per cent year-on-year by the end of last year as the number of foreigners working and investing in the Kingdom dwindles amid Covid-19 concerns, a new real estate study found.

CBRE Cambodia, the local affiliate of US commercial real estate services and investment firm CBRE Group Inc, said in the study that average monthly rent for top-quality “Grade A” one-bedroom apartments was $900-1,500 and $800-$2,300 for two-bedroom units as of the end of last year, cumulatively down 18.74 per cent year-on-year.

In the “Grade B” category, studios and one-bedroom apartments went for $500-1,000 per month at the time, while two-bedroom units were $1,200-1,600, down 18.21 per cent year-on-year.

The study said the capital’s rental apartment supply of both grades stood at 2,093 units at the end of last year.

CBRE Cambodia senior manager Kim Kinkesa told The Post that rents for serviced apartments in the capital have continued their decline since the end of the first quarter of this year.

She pinned the drop on foreign residents of Cambodia who had travelled to their countries of origin and had not returned due to global travel restrictions, adding that vacancies have driven rents even lower, a trend she said may persist throughout the year.

“According to research, apartment rental prices in 2021 may decline even further seeing that the number of foreigners travelling to Cambodia will not be as large as before."
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... -plunge-20
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
whatcouldhappen
Tourist
United States of America

Post by whatcouldhappen »

No but he should be from what friends have been saying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic