US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:29 am I don't think there is any antidiscrimination laws in either Cambodia or Vietnam. Am I correct?
I've no idea about Vietnam but there are anti-discrimination laws here and the constitution states that nobody should be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion etc. In practice Nigerians and other Africans are discriminated against when applying for visas, however there are still plenty of criminals around from those places so they should be put under some scrutiny. Scamming locals and selling ice are hardly beneficial to the country.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Is no-one going to mention it?

What about the barang, surely someone knows him?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 pm Is no-one going to mention it?

What about the barang, surely someone knows him?
Ah come on...... I'd rather keep watching 440 spin out of control.....commiserating and gossiping about how it is some sort of bizarre conspiracy of silence on CEO how he hasn't been discussed in depth yet.

What a bunch of unadulterated knuckle-heads over there. :ROFL:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Can't say that he rings a bell.

But looking at his profile pic and the 2 specific mutual FB friends we have in common I think I can safely say he arrived here in 2011, did a TESOL with Languagecorps and shacked up with a local bird.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm arrived here in 2011, did a TESOL with Languagecorps and shacked up with a local bird.
That narrows it down to about 500 expats.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm Can't say that he rings a bell.

But looking at his profile pic and the 2 specific mutual FB friends we have in common I think I can safely say he arrived here in 2011, did a TESOL with Languagecorps and shacked up with a local bird.
Is he a poster here?
Say it aint so...
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

He's a reader and maybe a poster and he used to work with the General of our online life here. He s mostly good, has three lovely kids and an ex wife who is local. The tragedy of this is that he was committed to the kids and was wanting to provide for them. His friends and family abroad will do their best for the kids. Matt knows that. I guess he just was not able to muster an exit plan with the volatility of changes in the last 12 months. This is hard news for those kids but they have no doubts about their fathers love for them. Maybe he''ll catch a break.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:10 pm
Is he a poster here?
Say it aint so...
As a long time expat, he was probably reading and maybe posting on both Cambodian expat forums. Both forums have a policy of not outing their members, so what do you expect to happen ?
:licker:
If a forum member of either forum gets arrested for whatever, of course it makes the news on CEO and there is no dispensation. However, you can't blame the other forum members, or his FB friends, for his behavior and his decision to traffic meth. I don't know the guy, but if I did, then it would be between him and me that we were no longer friends.
Very sad that the guy has a family and kids who are going to suffer from this.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Is he a poster here?
Say it aint so...
As a long time expat, he was probably reading and maybe posting on both Cambodian expat forums. Both forums have a policy of not outing their members, so what do you expect to happen ?
If a forum member of either forum gets arrested for whatever, of course it makes the news on CEO and there is no dispensation. However, you can't blame the other forum members, or his FB friends, for his behavior and his decision to traffic meth. I don't know the guy, but if I did, then it would be between him and me that we were no longer friends.
Who is blaming anyone or anything except him?
I just found it very unusual that a barang was arrested and there was next to no comment about him. Just the diversion into chat about about the other ethnicities involved.
That made me wonder if there was a reason for the silence.
It didn't take long for Mishmash to get dumped on or indeed Fred Edwards, just wondered why this guy was different.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Is he a poster here?
Say it aint so...
Who is blaming anyone or anything except him?
I just found it very unusual that a barang was arrested and there was next to no comment about him. Just the diversion into chat about about the other ethnicities involved.
That made me wonder if there was a reason for the silence.
It didn't take long for Mishmash to get dumped on or indeed Fred Edwards, just wondered why this guy was different.
I'm not sure what you expect . The 'silence' might just be that it's another barang that gets arrested and so what. Mishmash was a known member of CEO, but you are the only one to suggest that this American guy was also posting here. So maybe you know more than we do ?

There have been other foreigners posted on here for drug busts, and no doubt some members of both forums knew the Belgian guys involved in Phnom Penh-Brazil cocaine busts . However, I am not going to blame all their facebook friends and suggest that they were somehow involved.
Just to be super-clear - there is and has been no censorship for posters on this forum AFAIK. CEO News posted the arrest with the photo and name of the American who was arrested. There was no cover-up. I'm sure that if CEO News or any posters here have something to say on the subject, then they will say it.
And if you have something to say then spit it out. That will save us from going to look at TOF. Cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic