Preah Vihear

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Camel Blue
Expatriate

Preah Vihear

Post by Camel Blue »

Has anyone been? Is it worth the effort?

I'm thinking about hiring a motorbike to make the trip - are there any guesthouses nearby or would you advise to stay in Siem Reap?

Thanks
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Preah Vihear

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Not much of an effort anymore. All the roads linking to it are now beautifully paved (from Siem Riep, Kompong Thom AND Samraong). I would just stay in Tbeang Meanchey (Preah Vihear) to be honest. Siem Riep is pretty far out. Then drive to the base of the mountain and ether ride up or hire a motodop to take you up (it's very steep). Well worth it imo. Probably crowded now, I went a week after the 2009 skirmishes and had the whole place to myself (minus the soldiers). Great views and a nice temple. It's different. Go for it!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was there in 2012, well worth the trip
stay in Preah Vihear city ( Tbeang Meanchey ) ( about 100kms away but that's only 1 hour on great road
make sure u take ur passport
admission is free
but $5 for the motorcycle ride up, as said its very steep.

DO NOT GO WITH A THAI,
they will not be a allowed up ( something i found out with my daughter they hard way)

Leave SR early and stop at Bang Mealea an koh ker on the way an overnight at PV city
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Camel Blue
Expatriate

Post by Camel Blue »

Thanks Bitte_Kein_Lexus and phucketrichard. Do they really check passports? Could be a problem if I leave it as a deposit for the bike...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Phuket's information is more up to date so I would follow his advice. Didn't need a passport when I went. Can you provide cash collateral for the bike? Explain to them that you're going to PV and might need your passport. I also recommend checking out Koh Ker either on the way to PV or on the way back. Give yourself a few hours. Worth it imo as it's a very unique temple (the main one, it's actually a large temple complex and by now the road is perfectly paved as well).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Camel Blue
Expatriate

Post by Camel Blue »

Thanks, I was going to ask about possible interesting places on the way, I'll definitely check out Koh Ker as well
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

100% u need passport, u need to register at the bottom

lets see if we can cross post forum threads,

MY trip to PV,http://teakdoor.com/cambodia-forum/1114 ... ihear.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Camel Blue
Expatriate

Post by Camel Blue »

Thanks, great blog and great pictures. PV looks amazing
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

Amazing photos, phuket!
offtopic: oh, how I love that links open in a new tab
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic