Weight Loss - Food Allergies, Gluten Intolerance and IBS

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Weight Loss - Food Allergies, Gluten Intolerance and IBS

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:25 pm Well done Roz.
I think Traditional Chinese Medicine has a lot to offer. TCM comes at you from a totally different POV from western medicine. Some of the basics are whether you are too hot or too cold and too damp or dry inside. Until recently the official cause of death in Cambodia was often "hot inside".
This diagnosis then leads to a recommendation to avoid certain foods, such as no dairy if you are hot and damp inside.
Western doctors scoff at the recent trend towards food "allergies" (an allergy should be life-threatening!) and even debunk intolerances. But a good TCM doctor can help people address fundamental imbalances in the body by adjusting diet, taking TCM and doing acupuncture. Unfortunately, I don't know of any in Cambodia.
I also think that we are too concerned that our food should taste great, just look at all of the competitive cooking shows on TV.
Restauranteurs will tell you that most food tastes great if you are hungry enough.
We should instead focus on listening to our bodies and ingest what our bodies need.
For drinks, again we have a huge array of them marketed at us when mostly our bodies simply need water.
Bon appetit!

I suffered badly from IBS or Ulceric Cholitis for a few years in my 20's, a combination of stress and dietary/lifestyle issues. I was on a prescrption of 8 tablets a day initially but decided I didn't want to be doing that forever so I went to a Traditional Chinese Medicine place. The acupuncture sessions were something else, I used to get on the train home after and completely conk out. He used to give me a baG of different things that looked like a pic n mix of tree bark etc which I had to boil up and strain to drink, truly disgusting. Not sure it made much difference, I just slowly cut out a tablet a day while managing the core issues better until I eventually returned to normal. The TCM experience was an interesting one and I think the acupuncture was genuinely beneficial.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Damn, I can't imagine cutting out gluten. I even love plain gluten, fried up 'wok' style, so that would be hard. It's high in protein, so one of the better things I probably eat.

Well done and looking good! :beer3:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

So much illness is really about stress.
When I came to Asia I had high blood pressure and loads of stress, mostly inherent from childhood onwards.
I observed that SE Asian people do not reinforce each other's stress triggers as westerners do (if you don't get this point, watch carefully how westerners react to each other).
So, the trick must be to absorb the Asian culture in this respect without taking on board the other dysfunctional stuff they do that we do not (that's for another thread!) In other words, get the best of both worlds.

Things that help:
Be over 55 and have a bit of money.
Stop or heavily reduce work.
Don't start a business in Asia and have minimal dealings with the authorities.
Don't smoke.
Don't drink too much too often (regularly have 48 hour spells with zero alcohol).
Have a good woman who is calm and reasonable and good in the house (yes, they do exist - even in the bars!) Don't compromise when choosing a partner and if starts to go wrong, act quickly to end it.
Eat healthily, that means eating well cooked food at home, outside only occasionally.
Don't fuck around but a bit of flirting in the bars does no harm.
Be sociable but don't spend loads of time with westerners, especially not the ones who don't follow the above suggestions. Don't spend time with Khmers unless you enjoy it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic