Online sellers in Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Online sellers in Cambodia

Post by Josideb »

Scrolling through my Facebook to see so many Khmer people selling all sorts of products online. Handbags, clothes, beauty products, toys etc

Is there a wholesale market here or are they importing it all from China?
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Re: Online sellers

Post by Mr.November »

There is no local wholesale, all is brought in from Thailand and China.
Most of the sellers buy from Thailand as they are familiar with the brands, shipping available, and Khmers think products from Thailand are good quality. But quite a few who learned some Chinese or have a Chinese friend, also buy from Taobao/Alibaba as prices there are much cheaper than Thai. They don't buy wholesale there either, just from normal shops in Thailand/China (online marketplaces), unless they have more established business and larger revenue. I've done it myself, and work in online marketing here, so have some experience.

Usually the markup is 100% (Facebook shops sell at 2x price they buy from Lazada/Taobao), but it doesn't mean a lot of profit, as the majority of our Facebook sellers are able to sell only a few items per week, and it's very difficult to 'be seen' in the crowd. One of the only ways for them to promote and find buyers is to pay for Facebook ads and live videos, which is expensive/hard work. Most of them make very little money after those costs - Facebook ads are very expensive as you not only bid against other cream sellers, but international businesses, condo developers, schools, restaurants and everyone else who promotes on Facebook, and if you sell just ten 25-dollar creams per week (of which only half is your profit), you can't afford more than $100 per week in ads, which will not give you more than a few conversions (unless you have a super deal, which you don't as you buy at full Thai price).

Many sellers also only offer 'pre-order', which is a much better business model - they offer the goods from Thai/China at 2x price, but don't stock things here, only buy when someone pays deposit 50%, then they order it and deliver to buyer in Cambodia in 1-3 weeks (Thailand is faster, China slower). But many buyers don't like to wait, and more buyers now know how to order directly from Thailand or China themselves, using one of the dozens of shipping/shopping agents.

Conclusions: 1. No, you can't find a wholesale locally to buy products, but I can help you find what you need on Taboao (I read Chinese) and deliver to your door here at $2.50 + 8% per kg, and 2. Cambodia needs their own online marketplace/app like eBay, Amazon, or Lazada (Khmer24 is far from that), to stop sellers fighting over impressions on Facebook with ads dollars (Facebook is not designed as a shopping app and is not an efficient or a cheap place to sell small items online). I am currently looking for investors for an e-commerce marketplace app, if you know anyone interested to dive in, let me know.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Online sellers in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The louder they shout and scream angrily the more they can sell, in theory at least.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Four years ago it never existed. Now every Thom, Dec and Srey is doing it.
The only ones who make money are the bulk sellers who’re at the top of the group (pyramid) and they even have little shindigs where they supply food.
200 women screaming. I could hear them on the 14th of the hotel.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Mr.November wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 am Conclusions: 1. No, you can't find a wholesale locally to buy products, but I can help you find what you need on Taboao (I read Chinese) and deliver to your door here at $2.50 + 8% per kg, and 2. Cambodia needs their own online marketplace/app like eBay, Amazon, or Lazada (Khmer24 is far from that), to stop sellers fighting over impressions on Facebook with ads dollars (Facebook is not designed as a shopping app and is not an efficient or a cheap place to sell small items online). I am currently looking for investors for an e-commerce marketplace app, if you know anyone interested to dive in, let me know.
It's not that there is no one trying to do it. I remember there has been probably over 20 sites/apps. Some even with lot of money behind (WorldBridge). But all have failed. Problem is that you have to educate the people (both sellers and especially buyers) and that takes time and loads of money. Hopefully your venture has more success!

Lazada probably enters Cambodian market within year or two too.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Some lotion ladies have done well. Some even gotten rank of okhna. They are keeping mum about the title. Apparently the other Okhna aren’t too pleased.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Mr.November wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 am 2. Cambodia needs their own online marketplace/app like eBay, Amazon, or Lazada (Khmer24 is far from that)
Larue seems to be broadly that, they don't sell their own stuff but stuff from other sellers, bit like Rakuten in Japan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic