Cambodian Journalist: "Why I Keep on Writing About the Environment"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Journalist: "Why I Keep on Writing About the Environment"

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodians are often criticized (by expats) for their lack of environmental awareness, however, many people are becoming more interested in learning about the importance of conservation and environmental issues.
Here, a Cambodian journalist speaks out on why they consider it important to keep spreading the word and informing the population that everyone needs to get involved if they want to live in a cleaner, healthier Cambodia.

Why I Keep on Writing About the Environment and the Climate Crisis
Sao Phal Niseiy 31/01/2021 4:12 PM

From day to day, I am writing more and more about climate crisis and environmental issues. I keep on sharing it too on social media posts. Many have asked why I am doing that.

Honestly, I am not an environmentalist because it takes a lot of dedication and efforts to be one. But it doesn’t require to be an environmentalist to raise the subject. Technically, I am just a very concerned citizen and a journalist by profession who has an interest in environmental issues.

Through writing and sharing on environmental issues, what I hope for is to see friends share similar concern about the environment wellbeing and work together at some point to embolden an alteration of people’s behavior on a larger scale.

It simply is about promoting education, knowledge, understanding as well as actions undertaken by a group of individuals—the more influential, the better. Once we are knowledgeable, more and more people will be able to be considerate about the impacts they create on the environment and eventually speak for their own future.

For example, more people are increasingly taking part in anti-plastic campaigns in recent years because they concur that the society they are living in is being choked by plastic pollution. This fight is gaining momentum. This has to be kept going.

We need such a participation in other environmental activities, too. This can be wider and more frank talks among people in our country about the need for government policies that encourage investment in clean energy as well as government effective mechanisms to combat illegal logging and wildlife trade while fostering reforestation countrywide. With this, we can urge our government to do more to mitigate the climate crisis.
Full article: https://cambodianess.com/article/why-i- ... ate-crisis
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Journalist: "Why I Keep on Writing About the Environment"

Post by techietraveller84 »

I'm in Seattle, USA, a city that has been well educated on the environment, pollution, and the harm that plastics do to the earth, yet our roadsides are covered with all sorts of trash thrown out of car windows. Out of the way forest roads are sometimes used illegally as toxic waste dumps. Never ceases to amaze me how momentary convenience out prioritizes just about everything else.
While the government may have policies to limit corporate waste, and extensive programs to educate the public, some elements of the citizenry, incomprehensibly to me, seem committed to undue any reductions in waste those policies produce.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:58 am While the government may have policies to limit corporate waste, and extensive programs to educate the public, some elements of the citizenry, incomprehensibly to me, seem committed to undue any reductions in waste those policies produce.
I swear there's people out there who think environmentalism = left wing = baby murderers and pussies, ergo shitting on your doorstep = manly, tough and patriotic.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I read this post as a strong positive message - that Cambodians do care for their environment. They care about their country getting sold out.It's something that the younger generation of Cambodians are becoming engaged with, and good for them. This message is not "Please save me foreigner ONG", but "Cambodians, let's do something together about our environmental problems".
:thumb: Good stuff.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

In a parallel universe I could see myself being quite the environmental activist. It's one of those things I feel quite passionate about but am just too damn lazy to actually do something about. So I'm always a little excited when I hear about others doing what I'm too lazy to do.

In terms of the environment, history will, for sure, look back at our time as being the dirtiest, least uncaring, most selfish, most shameless and most self-serving period of all of human history. I've never got my head around the fact that plastic can be manufactured at the rate that it is and nobody seems to be trying to put limits on it or find alternatives. In much the same way that we've come up with a vaccine in less than a year, where it would normally take ten, if plastic was banned tomorrow, and only environmental alternatives could replace it, the market would find a viable alternative in a heartbeat. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.

How can it ever be right that a plastic bottle of water can take seconds to drink, yet the plastic that that bottle is made from will probably never, ever break down?

Well done to the guy. I applaud anyone who, unlike myself whose environmental activism seems limited to the odd post on an internet forum, actually gets up and does something constructive.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic