S21 Death Camp

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

S21 Death Camp

Post by MrB »

Death Camp S21

This week I break away from temples as was in PP & could not miss S21 so here it is. Temple romps wil be back next week.

Over 20,000 entered only 7 survived. The Khmer Rouge at their very worse. I even meet one of the 7 survivors, which is incredible. A tough one to film, but it is there to teach us all.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: S21 Death Camp

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP Thank you for this.
I went to see S21, Tuol Sleng, about 13 years ago because I wanted to see for myself. It felt like something important to experience, but I would not go back again because the experience of one visit was so powerful and it was really upsetting.
I wasn't going to watch your video because of this, but I did, and I think you have done a great (and very difficult) job of explaining what is basically inexplainable.

Peace on all the souls of the deceased.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks for the deep video , OP!

Went there twice. The second time, a few years ago. It didn’t seem as gritty and scary as before. Is it just old age playing tricks on me? Of course, the ‘abandoned’ hotel on Bokor didn’t seem as scary as before either. Missus used to watch S21 from her kitchen window every day.

Again, great video.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

newkidontheblock wrote:
Went there twice. The second time, a few years ago. It didn’t seem as gritty and scary as before. Is it just old age playing tricks on me? Of course, the ‘abandoned’ hotel on Bokor didn’t seem as scary as before either. Missus used to watch S21 from her kitchen window every day.
It has changed. About ten years ago a group of conservative mid-western Americans visited Toul Sleng and were shocked. They complained to the authorities and subsequently the exhibits were modified. Some of the more extreme torture instruments were removed and also the evidence that women guards were responsible for much of the torture and ill treatment of prisoners there.
One of the cells had mathematical formulae written in blood on the walls from a mathematician prisoner who apparently knew he was to be executed the following day. This was whitewashed over, which is sad. It was a very powerful image of the terrible times there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:07 pm Went there twice. The second time, a few years ago. It didn’t seem as gritty and scary as before. Is it just old age playing tricks on me? Of course, the ‘abandoned’ hotel on Bokor didn’t seem as scary as before either. Missus used to watch S21 from her kitchen window every day.
I've been there so many times I couldn't count. I was absolutely shocked the first time I went there more than 20 years ago. Since then loads of friends and family have been through and I often find myself showing them around. It doesn't bother me at all now, I think of it the same way I'd think of any formal penal institution. The Tower of London, Kilmainham Jail etc. What isn't really explained too well is that S21 was the central prison for the security system, and a major proportion of the inmates were Kampuchean Communist cadres and their families caught up in purges. A large proportion of Division 703 who were tasked with running the prisons ended up incarcerated themselves and dead. It's main importance is the amount of evidence that was left behind. Boueng Trabek high school was used as a prison for Cambodians who were encouraged to return from abroad, many were exterminated. Yet that school just continues on and somehow doesn't have the stigma of Tuol Sleng. Nowadays unruly prisoners in provincial prisons are still locked up in the same sort of iron cuffs attached to a long bar. Prisons were always shit here, and a whole lot of prisoners died from Corvée labor building the original road to Bokor. The whole country is covered in ghosts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I went a few years ago, I have always had the idea of going to Auschwitz one day but after going to S21 that idea has changed, and I wondered why I wanted to go in the first place.
No feelings to watch the video.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic