Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: i need a strong wifi for speaking on Blackboard

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:28 pm
rockyboy612 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:27 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:09 am I had to give a talk on Blackboard (similar to Zoom) yesterday at 11pm and I got feedback that the sound quality was not good, breaking up etc.
I turned off my camera and switched between my Metfone wifi and Cellcard 4G LTE tethered from my phone but problems continued intermittently.
I have to give more talks today at 5pm and 11pm and weekly thereafter. I'm guessing the 5pm experience is going to be worse.
Is there some hotel that has really good wifi, or office I can rent by the day? Money no object, sort of.
if money is no object -- you cant go wrong with any of the fiber internet providers
do not buy the home plan, get the business plans
routers and installation in general have significantly better quality

go to google, search fiber internet provider cambodia, everyone claims to be the best and premium, if you are in a fancy condo your choices might be limited --- better ask your landlord / management, I know Peng Hout only allows one company and everyone there pretty much have sucky internet.... start messaging their facebook pages and good luck
Thanks Rocky, I appreciate that. My need is short term so I'd rather just book into a hotel for a small number of separate nights, if there are any hotels with really good wifi.
BTW, do you know - if I have dual SIMs in my phone, does the phone amalgamate from both SIMs or does it choose just one and go with that?
And, when you tether - do you get an equal amount of internet power as you would get from using the phone or is some lost in the tethering process?
Brown Coffee has more than decent wifi.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:13 am Tethering of a cellphone definitely reduces bandwidth (speed). Internet signal needs to come to the cellphone, then retransmitted to the computer (either through WIFI or Bluetooth connection.), and then repeated from the computer back to the cellphone to be sent out.
Tethering doesn't reduce bandwidth. The bandwidth of the Wifi in modern phones is way way more than 4G can offer. Up to 35 times more. There will be a small lag because of the extra step 4G > Wifi but you have the same lag when using wifi in a hotel or coffee shop where the lag is caused by the step cable - wifi.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:00 am
Thanks Rocky, I appreciate that. My need is short term so I'd rather just book into a hotel for a small number of separate nights, if there are any hotels with really good wifi.
BTW, do you know - if I have dual SIMs in my phone, does the phone amalgamate from both SIMs or does it choose just one and go with that?
And, when you tether - do you get an equal amount of internet power as you would get from using the phone or is some lost in the tethering process?
Brown Coffee has more than decent wifi.
Thanks that's useful info in general terms. But due to the time difference I am doing some sessions very late in the day. Also I need a private room.
Maybe check into a hotel that is next door to a Browns!
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

rockyboy612 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:27 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:09 am I had to give a talk on Blackboard (similar to Zoom) yesterday at 11pm and I got feedback that the sound quality was not good, breaking up etc.
I turned off my camera and switched between my Metfone wifi and Cellcard 4G LTE tethered from my phone but problems continued intermittently.
I have to give more talks today at 5pm and 11pm and weekly thereafter. I'm guessing the 5pm experience is going to be worse.
Is there some hotel that has really good wifi, or office I can rent by the day? Money no object, sort of.
if money is no object -- you cant go wrong with any of the fiber internet providers
do not buy the home plan, get the business plans
routers and installation in general have significantly better quality

go to google, search fiber internet provider cambodia, everyone claims to be the best and premium, if you are in a fancy condo your choices might be limited --- better ask your landlord / management, I know Peng Hout only allows one company and everyone there pretty much have sucky internet.... start messaging their facebook pages and good luck
go try with SunCity bassac
had a few projects in there, freshly built... their wifi is pretty stable, great sunrise and sunset view at the pool area... then again i wasnt doing any long period video call sessions.
dual sim phones don't really combine their mobile data together, unless your software (Blackboard) has that feature -- mobile games recently started doing that but it's still not perfect
when you tether there is a chance (not always) that your phone would pull a chunk of your internet speed to update things in the background
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic