Teenage Boys Arrested for "Bauk" (Gang Rape) of a 15Yo Girl

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Teenage Boys Arrested for "Bauk" (Gang Rape) of a 15Yo Girl

Post by Chad Sexington »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 am The poor girl gets gang raped an you’re quibbling about the language.

Might have to lock this thread if this carries on.
So where exactly does the problem lie with this thread?
Is it the comment regarding the insensitivity of some posters in relation to the gang rape of a young girl?
Or was it the (admittedly sarcastic) reply to one of those posters about his accusations of smug, self righteousness, seeing as in that post he was guilty of the self same? (how ironic, or should that be hypocritical or both even?)
If It was me that had been so insensitive (even if inadvertently) I’d have apologized for it, not gone off on some deflecting rant or go threatening to lock the thread.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Why do you go on and on then?

Why not give it a rest? Please don't reply.
imiss.you
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by imiss.you »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:26 am More on "bauk" or Cambodian gang rape:
Posted here by AM: post389583.html#p389583

“Bauk”- The terrifying trend amongst young middle class Cambodian men
July 25, 2017

“Bauk” literally means “plus” in the Khmer language. It is the name commonly given to gang rape in Cambodia.

A 2013 study conducted by “Partners for Prevention” shows that across the 5 different Asian countries studied Cambodia has one of the highest rates of gang rape in the region; it is in fact, double the rate of gang rape in India. Almost 1 in 10 men report committing rape on a non-partner, and 5% of them admit to committing gang rape. The main motivation stated by men for perpetrating “bauk” was sexual entitlement: the sense that they had a right to sex, regardless of consent.

Half of the men that admit to committing rape stated that they were teenagers the first time they did it. This highlights the urgent need to work with young boys in order to tackle such violence.

But this issue is very rarely addressed in Cambodia. The political response to this phenomenon has been weak as there is no law defining “bauk”.

The typical way “bauk” occurs is when a group of young men lure a girl into a guesthouse where their friends are waiting to rape her. The girl is not aware that several men will be waiting for her. When men can’t find girls, they put their money together to hire sex workers. Several reports of this practice state that this is a “bonding experience” for young men, who can even experience peer pressure if they do not want to participate. It is a way to appear tough in front of their friends.

Many sex workers report that they have often been gang raped by groups of young men. It is now one of the many dangers they face. The violence of these situations drive them to fear for their lives, as they are often beaten. Furthermore, if victims want to report the crime, the process is very hard, which is why they often choose to stay quiet rather than going through the ordeal of a court process. For sex workers, it is nearly impossible to report such a crime. Prostitution being illegal in Cambodia makes reporting rape very difficult. In addition to this, the widespread corruption of police officers makes things even harder and reports of police officers committing rape themselves is not uncommon.

One of the most worrying aspects of this practice is the lack of awareness that this is in fact, rape. Most men don’t consider it a crime, especially if it’s committed on a sex worker. In a survey conducted by the NGO Gender and Development, it was reported that 13,4% of girls, and 13,7% of men did not consider “bauk” to be rape. For some, the violent history of Cambodia specifically during the Khmer Rouge, has contributed to giving men license to be more violent.

It appears that perpetrators do not experience much guilt, and are not afraid of judicial consequences. Indeed, the rampant corruption at all stages of the process allows them to avoid prosecution.
https://universelles.net/2017/07/25/bau ... odian-men/
This is a rare case in Cambodia to compare Cambodia to India is poor and false statement of that NGO that do conducted survey, i guess they only survey on those ppl whose boast about themselves or those sex worker who would like to play the victim. Yes gang rape or bauk will happen on sex worker if they agree or allow their client on the right condition (money) while gang rape or bauk from lure a young girl to guesthouse while their friends is waiting at guesthouse rarely happening. While today gang rape or bauk would highly happening on a group of drug of young ppl which consist of 5 to 10 ppl with 1 or more girls in the group and it is rarely happening with sex worker. I would define the word "gang rape" is not the same as bauk, bauk is more likely is aggregable on some condition and if you add the word romlob(rape) bauk(plus) = gang rape.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

IMO: The anger expressed at the English lesson and in the defensive retorts, has less to do with the insensitivity seemingly observed in the lack of empathy defended, and more to do with the anger section of the grieving process.
You on the same side.
Redirect your energy towards making this a civilized world where women are not afraid, and, until they grow up, men are.

Imagining what a girl goes through during that cowardly ordeal is, and should, be extremely distressing.

Females are the superior gender (fact) - Iceland is a leading example, for the, neandertholic, rest of the world - if you have many to evolve, we men (IMO), should always be looking for an opportunity to open that car door, pay for the ladies groceries behind you in the line, put your coat on a puddle, tip your waitress, treat your girlfriend and wife everyday like a princess or queen, not with sugary chivalry but out of apologetic respect.

I know I'm still a work in progress, and I would join any gathering or organization that was for women's betterment (and ultimately mine).

Of the ones that rip you off, take 4 seconds to consider what they might have been through, undeservedly, in the past.
I reckon I'd rip you off too, giving a chance.

There's going to be those who say don't tar us all with the same brush, who are you to say this that the next thing. If you're not a bad apple, prove it ("why should I" response would further aid my argument) and, I'm a male, so stop embarrassing me.

You go girl! They are so much stronger than us.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

here is a good informing documentary about Bauk in Cambodia, including the cultural side of why its a common thing here, with a lot of interviews with guys and girls that have been involved in/victims of Bauk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

and Bauk បូក means to add, to make additions, the gang rape culture that is Bauk is when a guy leads a girl somewhere where there is additional guys waiting, hence the name Bauk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Opinion piece
Gang rape in Cambodia: A means of male bonding
By Johanna Higgs | 16 January 2022, 12:00pm |
Too many men in Cambodia feel entitled to shame, reject, harass and even rape women, writes Johanna Higgs.
[excerpt]
*CONTENT WARNING: This article discusses rape

I AM SITTING on the balcony of a two-storey wooden house in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The style of the house is typical for Cambodia — dark planks of wood with a simple interior, raised on stilts to avoid floods during the rainy season. The weather is sweltering, as it is all-year-round in Cambodia.

Palm trees line the streets, illustrating that for certain I am in the tropics. Chickens scurry below me in the house and women chatter as they go about their daily work. All a typical scene in Cambodia.

What is also typical of Cambodia, is the story that I am listening to. I am sitting with a local Cambodian woman who works for one of the only women’s centres in Siem Reap. She is explaining how according to Cambodian traditions and beliefs, a man "cannot be shamed" — or at least he can be cleaned from his shame, while a woman cannot.

Rather, here, a woman can be forever tainted by shame bestowed upon her and must face social rejection and the stigma that comes her way as a result of it.

In Cambodia, like in much of the world, most of the shame bestowed upon women is related to their sexual behaviour. If it is believed a woman has been "too sexual" in some way or another, then it is acceptable to shame her, to reject her, stigmatise her, harass her and maybe even rape her.

Being "too sexual" could include the way she chooses to dress; the sexual relations she chooses to engage in and when she chooses to engage in them. It could be the fact that she wants to go out at night with her friends or because she has had a sexual relationship before marriage. It could be because she likes to drink beer. Or, as another Cambodian woman living in a village just outside of Siem Reap points out, it could be just because she works in a restaurant.

As she explains:

‘In the village where I’m from, people think that a woman who works in a restaurant must be poor so that means that she wants to have sex with everyone and is a whore.’

I shake my head, in disbelief. It is hard to credit that just working in a restaurant in Cambodia – a perfectly normal form of employment in most parts of the world – could constitute a woman as being a whore.

How should a woman living in poverty survive in such conditions? Left with the choices of having no income or being labelled a "whore" for working in a restaurant, what should she do?

Men, however, are not subject to the same forms of social stigma. Rather they are free to pursue women and, in fact, as many women as they want, without being criticised or shamed.

The double standards are blatant.

Consequently, rape and sexual assault are serious problems in Cambodia.

A United Nations report released as far back as 2013 showed that one in five men in Cambodia between the ages of 18-49 had admitted that they had raped a woman. Of these, 15.8 per cent said they had committed rape when they were younger than 15 years old.

Gang rape is common in Cambodia and is known as bauk. It is seen as a means of male bonding where men go out together in groups, specifically looking for women to rape, then share their experiences with each other. More than double the amount of men in Cambodia admitted to gang rape in comparison to India.

More horrifying, nearly one-third of rape cases in Cambodia are committed by somebody known to the victim. Few perpetrators face justice and in many cases, victims are threatened by the perpetrator or are often forced to live alongside them.
In full: https://independentaustralia.net/life/l ... ding,15931
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 am I weep for the girls in this country, it happens so often.
"I've heard far too many stories from working girls who get a 'date' with one man and when she arrives at his hotel room, all his mates are there too."

She has no chance of getting away, there's someone to stop her leaving, someone to hold her down while someone else rips off her clothes while someone else sticks something in her mouth to shut her up so the other hotel guests don't suspect while the other person rams it in her.
Call it fraud, call it cheating, call it rape, call it whatever the fuck you want - it's a terrifying, soul destroying assault by entitled little boys with big uncontrollable dicks who think they can take whatever they want, when they want and NOBODY stops them.
"I've heard far too many stories from working girls who get a 'date' with one man and when she arrives at his hotel room, all his mates are there too." It's a horrendous crime. Don't know why no one levels blame at the mother and father of the girls who get raped as well as the perpetrators. Most girls are sending the lion's share of their earnings back to the family who happily take their money knowing full well how they make it (or pretend they don't know). They are just as guilty (if not worse) than the perpetrators of this evil crime. Treating a daughter like the family cow - something to be used for reward.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Common problem. A while ago in a anonymous study 25% of all men who were asked said they had done it.

Indians are also famous for it.
Nav
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Nav »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:34 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 am I weep for the girls in this country, it happens so often.
"I've heard far too many stories from working girls who get a 'date' with one man and when she arrives at his hotel room, all his mates are there too."

She has no chance of getting away, there's someone to stop her leaving, someone to hold her down while someone else rips off her clothes while someone else sticks something in her mouth to shut her up so the other hotel guests don't suspect while the other person rams it in her.
Call it fraud, call it cheating, call it rape, call it whatever the fuck you want - it's a terrifying, soul destroying assault by entitled little boys with big uncontrollable dicks who think they can take whatever they want, when they want and NOBODY stops them.
"I've heard far too many stories from working girls who get a 'date' with one man and when she arrives at his hotel room, all his mates are there too." It's a horrendous crime. Don't know why no one levels blame at the mother and father of the girls who get raped as well as the perpetrators. Most girls are sending the lion's share of their earnings back to the family who happily take their money knowing full well how they make it (or pretend they don't know). They are just as guilty (if not worse) than the perpetrators of this evil crime. Treating a daughter like the family cow - something to be used for reward.
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to say.

Should my parents be blamed that in my profession I have been shot at a number of times or that pirates have boarded the vessel I was on and I was fortunate not to be one of the guys kidnapped? Just because I also send a lot of money home so my parents can have a relaxing retirement.

In my opinion this is not the women's fault and not the parents fault - it is the young assholes fault who think doing this is ok.

If you want to blame anyone's parents, then blame the parents of the young men would have grown up thinking this is ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic