Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

Post by Railroad »

What's wrong with bein' fat & balding anyway?
Hardly a crime, innit? And nothing to do with the actual crime bein' "discussed"..
:boring:
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

This is her blog page with the article https://travellingjezebel.com/category/ ... /cambodia/ All her social media accounts listed on the page are shut down, So hopefully the racist bitch (can you be racist to your own kind) has already had a storm of criticism, and hopefully had an effect on her ability to make money on the blog. Just found an email address for anyone interested, [email protected]
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:39 am KFH, why did you post this shite?
To watch it get ripped to pieces.
Agree with Doc67 here you have belittled yourself with this post especially after complaining about wendy sorry.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Mug shot
(and another load of crap)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Nice rack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

atst wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 pm
Agree with Doc67 here you have belittled yourself with this post especially after complaining about wendy sorry.
agree;

Plus
You lash out at emm for starting thread's few want ( according to you) yet you tend to do the same ..... staring threads that few respond to

You cant have ur cake and eat it too
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:44 pm

You lash out at emm for starting thread's few want ( according to you) yet you tend to do the same
I consider my approach and the manner I addressed emm to his starting multiple topics completely unrelated to Cambodia to be very civil and measured - actually, it was the complete opposite to lashing out. The unusually high number of twenty individuals who agreed, or rated my comment, suggests it was in accord with the opinions of many others also. And while I may post some threads or topics that aren't enjoyed by everyone, I think more than a few garner interest - at least they're Cambodia centric.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:44 pm
atst wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 pm
agree;

Plus
You lash out at emm for starting thread's few want ( according to you) yet you tend to do the same ..... staring threads that few respond to

You cant have ur cake and eat it too
I wouldn't say lashed out but never mind all's good and I don't start threads for popularity contests.
Easy fix can stop, good night
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:10 pm I knew from the first two paragraphs (and UPPER CASE LETTERS) she was building a towering shit house of lies.

'Graph 1: Profound lack of research. Most here know, you can buy toiletries without whitener.
'Graph 2: An astoundingly gross exaggeration of the risks of getting ill, which is pretty damned low. Yet, she portrays life as a daily, even hourly, parade of life-threatening bacterial and viral infections. Instead, you're far more likely to suffer serious injury or die on the roads.

Without delving into how insanely problematic it is that EVERYTHING IN ASIA CONTAINS SKIN WHITENING AGENTS, do you have any idea how infuriating it is not to be able to buy shower gel, moisturiser, or even DEODORANT that doesn’t bleach your skin?

You will always be getting sick, being sick, or recovering from being sick. The food will upset your stomach. The water will upset your stomach (yes, even if you only use it to shower and brush your teeth), and you will get infected cuts that turn into life threatening diseases (ask me how I know).
Anyway, since we've had our fun skewering her attention-whoring, maybe we could just, well, press the eject button.

However, what KFH said before I posted but before I saw it:
Some might argue it better to expose falsehoods rather than leave them unchallenged, the benefit proving generalizations to be an often inaccurate and dangerous representation of many. Isn't it more worthy to be seen by locals demanding truth and standing against this type of misinformation as opposed to looking the other way? You might even gain some respect!
Sure, some people read this garbage and completely believe it as they don't know any different.
Jezebel wrote:In addition to all of this, Phnom Penh also has a huge problem with organised crime and there are a lot of sex slaves here, including children. Sex slaves in Cambodia are kept in cages, electrocuted and have nails drilled into their skulls if they disobey their traffickers.

Unless you’re actively working with an organisation to help stop this, I don’t understand why anybody would want to spend time in a city where things like this are so commonplace.
Of course she then references Somaly Mam's discredited work of fiction. Remember how she claimed one woman was a sex slave who had her eye plucked out by a mamasan, and it turned out the woman had a disease which ruined here sight. She wasn't too happy about being described as a former prostitute either as this had never been the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... -mam-quits
Jezebel wrote:In the book ‘Off the Rails in Phnom Penh’ the author describes a brothel known as ‘Kiddy Corner’ by the expats, and you don’t have to spend too much time in Sihanoukville to see men in their sixties walking down the beach holding hands with girls and boys young enough to be their grandchildren.

A sensational account of depraved foreigners in 1996 is of course very valid in 2021.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Does anyone remember this drug dealer who is on Jezebel's page? Caught more than once as far as I can remember.

newsworthy/american-and-russian-nationa ... 12148.html

This article about Koh Wrong is funny:
I stroll down the beach and some people trying to chew on their own faces invite me to sit at their table. We attempt conversation, but I am sober and I am throwing off their vibe. They all shut down and repeat incessantly that they are high on MDMA. I take my leave and move on.

I drink a few cocktails to get with it and speak with the western bartender. He helps me figure out the place while taking care of his munchies, wolfing a bar of chocolate. His teeth are brown, his head shaved on the sides, perky, short dreadlocks growing on the top.

“On this island, you are either high, drunk, sleeping, fucking or on your way to do one of those things…I love chocolate, I love cheese too. I love to take bites from a cheese block and put it back in the fridge, my mum always gets mad at me when I do that at home…”

The group that invited me to sit at the table is now inside a Cambodian owned minimarket, they are touching the fabric of some t-shirts. I walk in and greet them, but they do not recognise me.

“We should all buy presents for each other and wear them now!”

“You are a genius C. I love you!”
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic