Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By Traveling Jezebel
January 13, 2021

Let’s get the fat balding elephant out of the room: many men living in Cambodia are there to abuse children.

Without delving into how insanely problematic it is that EVERYTHING IN ASIA CONTAINS SKIN WHITENING AGENTS, do you have any idea how infuriating it is not to be able to buy shower gel, moisturiser, or even DEODORANT that doesn’t bleach your skin?

You will always be getting sick, being sick, or recovering from being sick. The food will upset your stomach. The water will upset your stomach (yes, even if you only use it to shower and brush your teeth), and you will get infected cuts that turn into life threatening diseases (ask me how I know).

It is very easy for foreigners to find work in Cambodia. If you want to volunteer in exchange for bed and board then there are hundreds of hostels and backpacker bars available for you, and it is also very easy to find work as an English teacher, no questions asked and no qualifications needed.

When I worked in the beach bar, one of our kitchen staff would frequently come into work with black eyes courtesy of her charming and charismatic husband. Some hostel guests once walked in on a different Cambodian man raping his wife in our hostel.

In fact, there are scores of men who have served time for child abuse in the UK, who go on to open ‘orphanages’ in Cambodia, where they rent out the children by the hour to other morally bankrupt sickos.

Of course, as far as The Really F*cking Ugly goes, if you live in a fancy penthouse in the city and surround yourself with other rich expats, you may be able to pretend that these things are not going on all around you (well, aside from the child sexual exploitation – that’s impossible to ignore).

full.https://travellingjezebel.com/living-in-cambodia/
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Living in Cambodia – The Good, The Bad and The Really F*cking Ugly

Post by rozzieoz »

How do you change it though?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:25 am How do you change it though?
Change what? Do you mean change fcuking idiots like this blogger who post completely fake information about Western men in Cambodia?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Written by a 20-something man hater! Why do they say '20-something'? Is it because she doesn't know how to count?

Must be! When I went to school, a score was equal to twenty. So, scores would be many 20s.

So, where are these "scores of men who have served time for child abuse in the UK, who go on to open ‘orphanages’ in Cambodia"?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

This sort of thing infuriates me. If you're a man living in Cambodia, you're probably a pedo. I really, honestly, don't know where to start with this.
Spoiler:
Some things just don't deserve a response.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

simon43 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 am
Change what? Do you mean change fcuking idiots like this blogger who post completely fake information about Western men in Cambodia?
I was talking about the food ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

KFH, why did you post this shite? It's most unlike you.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:37 am
simon43 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 am
I was talking about the food ;)
really...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:39 am KFH, why did you post this shite?
To watch it get ripped to pieces.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

problematic
This word is always a red flag to me.
Racist beauty products
Some people really shouldn't travel.
Last edited by Big Daikon on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic