Israel's Apartheid Politics against Palestinians

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Israel's Apartheid Politics against Palestinians

Post by emm »

ISRAEL's APARTHEID POLITICS AGAINST PALESTINIANS

After Britain dumped most Jews on the Beach of Palestine (not a country) Palestinians experienced Apartheid like the Black South Africans. Now after 77 years after world war II a Israeli Human Rights Group condemned Israels Politic Against the Palestinians and called it what it is and always has been: APRATHEID. How could that happen ? Jewish People from all over Europe experienced first hand how it is to be marginalized, deprived of their rights and citizenship and killed by a monstrous industrial scale Genocide System. Much Sympathy went out to Jews than, although not a single country in Europe was ready to take them.
The fight against Palestinians started quickly after Jews settled in what they called "the Promised Land" claiming it was promised to them 5000 years ago by a divine god.

The Apartheid System got fine tuned over the past 7 decades, mainly with the help of the US, Israel's biggest allye. Without it Israel would have had to made compromises with the local population which might have prevented the decades long suppression and killing of Palestinians. With the still current US President things got even worse and new settlements in Palestinian Areas are now on the fast lane. May the new US President be wiser.

Here an analysis of the British Tabloid The Guardian
Opinion
Israel
The Guardian view on Israel and apartheid: prophecy or description?
Editorial

With no roadmap for peace, Israel risks being compared to the old South Africa

Sun 17 Jan 2021 18.42 GMT

Last modified on Mon 18 Jan 2021 04.37 GMT

It was a deliberate provocation by B’Tselem, Israel’s largest human rights group, to describe the Palestinians in the Holy Land as living under an apartheid regime. Many Israelis detest the idea that their country, one they see as a democracy that rose from a genocidal pyre, could be compared to the old racist Afrikaner regime. Yet figures such as Desmond Tutu and Jimmy Carter have done so.

There is a serious argument about injustices to be had. Palestinians – unlike Israeli Jews – live under a fragmented mosaic of laws, often discriminatory, and public authorities which seem indifferent to their plight. Apartheid is a crime against humanity. It is a charge that should not be lightly made, for else it can be shrugged off. Some might agree with the use of such incendiary language, but many will recoil. The crime of apartheid has been defined as “inhumane acts committed in the context of a regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over any other racial group or groups with the intention of maintaining that regime”.

There are nearly 5 million Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, all without Israeli citizenship. In the West Bank, Palestinians are bereft of civil rights, while Israelis in the occupied territory enjoy the full support of the state. Hamas won Gaza’s election in 2006, but the blockade that Israel imposes means it is in charge. Egypt has sealed its border, but nothing and nobody can get in or out without Israeli permission. Meeting the needs of Gaza’s growing population, say relief agencies, is at the whim of Israel. About 300,000 Palestinians in the areas formally annexed in 1967 – East Jerusalem and surrounding villages – do not have full citizenship and equal rights. Last year, the Israeli NGO Yesh Din found that Israeli officials were culpable of the crime of apartheid in the West Bank. Such a finding can only be a tragedy for all, including this newspaper, who wish the state of Israel well.

B’Tselem argues that Palestinians are afforded various levels of rights depending on where they live, but always below Jewish people. The group says it is becoming impossible to insulate Israel from its prolonged occupation project, leading it to run an apartheid regime not just outside its sovereign territory but inside it. There are about 2 million Palestinian citizens of Israel, a minority under pressure not to antagonise the Jewish majority. Within Israel, discriminatory policies are not difficult to find. National security is invoked to justify often racist citizenship laws. Jewish-only communities have admission committees that can legally reject Palestinians on the grounds of “cultural incompatibility”. A web of land and planning laws squeeze Palestinians into a shrinking space. There are Israeli Arabs whose prominence in society belies the poverty of the majority.

Israel has a problem of historic discrimination. But under Benjamin Netanyahu’s government there has been the enactment of the nation state law that constitutionally enshrines Jewish supremacy and a plan to formally annex parts of the West Bank. Some prominent Jewish intellectuals, such as the writer Peter Beinart, have given up on the idea of a Jewish state. No government formed after the forthcoming election will support genuine Palestinian statehood or have a viable peace plan.

This begs B’Tselem’s heretical question: what if there is only, in reality, one regime between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, rather than one political power that controls the territory in which there are distinct regimes? A system of separate and unequal law and systemic discrimination against Palestinians has been justified because it was meant to be temporary. But decades have passed and the situation worsens. If this is a twilight for democracy and equality in the Holy Land, one can only hope that the night will be short.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Israel's Apartheid Politics against Palestinians

Post by Alex »

Well I guess another round of Jew baiting was overdue.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

No doubt more than a little truth here, but how is it news and what has it to do with Cambodia?
Can we do anything about it?
Sounds like a certain Saffer's pet subject- the joos and apartheid outside safferland.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

So, If you dare to question the state of Israel you are a jew baiter??

Good defence! It works.
It scares off a lot of good right-thinking people from whispering a word of challenge or criticism.
but it's a bit pathetic, don't you think?

I reckon Jews have contributed more than most to our western culture - "some of my best friends" and all that.
but if you think the land of "the chosen people" is also a sanctuary from normal scrutiny, you are displaying none of their usual highly developed critical thinking and intellect.
imo.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Just more of the usual discrimination, torture, and death in the name of religion (I am not calling out Judaism only). All based on books and beliefs based on fairy tales. Thankfully in the US now approximately 25% of the population claims to be religiously unaffiliated, atheists, or agnostics. What about Europe? No hope in Cambodia with Nation, Religion, King. Just saying.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Australia is not so fortunate Cambo
Pastafarianism is spreading unchecked, particularly amongst the youth
https://www.spaghettimonster.org/2017/0 ... cognition/
At least they get good moral guidance from their diety, The Flying Spagetti Monster

1. I’d really rather you didn’t act like a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou ass when describing my Noodly Goodness.
If some people don’t believe in me, that’s okay. Really, I’m not that vain.

7. I’d really rather you didn’t go around telling people I talk to you. You’re not that interesting. Get over yourself.
And I told you to love your fellow man, can’t you take a hint?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 am Australia is not so fortunate Cambo
Pastafarianism is spreading unchecked, particularly amongst the youth
https://www.spaghettimonster.org/2017/0 ... cognition/
At least they get good moral guidance from their diety, The Flying Spagetti Monster

1. I’d really rather you didn’t act like a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou ass when describing my Noodly Goodness.
If some people don’t believe in me, that’s okay. Really, I’m not that vain.

7. I’d really rather you didn’t go around telling people I talk to you. You’re not that interesting. Get over yourself.
And I told you to love your fellow man, can’t you take a hint?
Does that make them tax exempt so they have enough cash to buy their mansions and private jets?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Ha! they are the veritable John the Baptists of believers
true prophets dirt poor and destined to forever live alongside those dammed Fools of Dogma

'Still got that mad wild Good-Godly grin of the true believer, just a bit more relaxed than most.
- and without the smugness
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Biden administration lays out its policies on Israel-Palestine at the UN
Barak Ravid
Wed, January 27, 2021,

The Biden administration today laid out its policies on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and stressed its intention to renew ties with the Palestinian Authority.

Why it matters: The Trump administration dramatically changed U.S. policy on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. President Biden's policies, laid out for the first time today, will shift the U.S. back to the more traditional positions held by previous Democratic and Republican administrations.

Driving the news: The policy was presented by the acting U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Richard Mills, during a monthly meeting on the Middle East at the UN Security Council.

Mills said the Biden administration will support a two-state solution, which it sees as "the best way to ensure Israel stays a democratic and Jewish state."

He added that the new administration will base its policies on consultations with both sides — by contrast, the Trump administration hardly spoke to the Palestinians for three years.

Citing the large gaps between the Israeli and Palestinian leaders, Mills said the administration believes that its goal should be to preserve the possibility of a two-state solution in the future while focusing on improving the situation on the ground, mainly in Gaza.

Mills said Biden would encourage Israel and the Palestinians to avoid unilateral steps that will make a two-state solution harder to reach — like annexation, settlement building, the demolition of Palestinian homes by Israel, and the payments to terrorists from the Palestinians.

He said the Biden administration would renew ties with the Palestinian Authority, which boycotted Trump's administration after he moved the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.

Mills added that the U.S. would renew economic and humanitarian aid to the Palestinians and reopen diplomatic missions which were shut down by the Trump administration — like the PLO office in Washington and the U.S. consulate general in Jerusalem.

He added that the Biden administration would oppose one-sided or biased resolutions that single out Israel in international forums.

What’s next: Mills said Biden welcomes the normalization agreements between Israel and Arab countries but doesn't see them as a substitute for Israeli-Palestinian peace. He added that Biden would want to promote further normalization agreements in a way that would bolster the push for a two-state solution.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic