Violent Crimes Increasing in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lay Sopheavotey and Phoung Vantha 20/01/2021 5:35 PM

Economic, social and familial stress related to the COVID-19 pandemic is reportedly to blame, but solutions—particularly in terms of gun control—seem far off.
PHNOM PENH--The number of violent crimes increased significantly in 2020, with murders, suicides and weapons-based violence all rising in Cambodia. The severity of the crimes, it appears, also escalated with financial difficulties, unaddressed mental health issues and substance abuse linked to many cases.

A consistent factor throughout these crimes was that the perpetrators were men, often killing wives, daughters, lovers and then finally themselves. Other trends that emerged were that the killings seemed to be becoming bolder involving the use of firearms.

On Dec. 30, 2020, a suspect shot and killed the deputy-chief of the Minor Criminal Bureau following a traffic accident.

Phnom Penh Municipal Police spokesman, San Sok Seiha said that gun control is the same as in other countries, there still gaps.

“Some of the suspects were punished and some of them were sent to court,” he said.

In the first eight months of 2020, there were a total of 2,418 criminal offenses, but more than 700 cases of violence occurred, Chhay Kim Khoeun, spokesman of the National Police, confirmed.

Whether stemming from traffic accidents, family issues or money troubles, experts and social analysts have urged the government to pay more attention to mental health issues.

They added that other stakeholders should take part in campaigns to address mental health and alcohol consumption.

Pa Chanroeun, whose doctorate focused on social, political and moral philosophy, said that there are key factors that could explain the recent spate of violence and killings. These include the lack of mental health services available to people, the acceptability of violence among society, the ongoing economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, along with alcohol and drug consumption.

Chanroeun warned that these issues have been exacerbated over the last the year due to uncertainty surrounding the pandemic and has led to a loss of self-control.
https://cambodianess.com/article/violen ... n-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Violent Crimes Increasing in Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

I’d expect no different outcome.

Losing my job and all income and being locked down 24/7 with a Khmer wife who berated me for not having enough money would drive me to drinking too. No doubt my wife would not appreciate me spending the last of the families riel on beer so she’d prob cut off all sex. Might at well go shag a bird at the KTV since the wife isn’t putting out. That will just make her more disconnected and bitter towards me. The micro finance bills, electricity bills, and rent still keep coming. I can’t take it anymore.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Johno35 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm I’d expect no different outcome.

Losing my job and all income and being locked down 24/7 with a Khmer wife who berated me for not having enough money would drive me to drinking too. No doubt my wife would not appreciate me spending the last of the families riel on beer so she’d prob cut off all sex. Might at well go shag a bird at the KTV since the wife isn’t putting out. That will just make her more disconnected and bitter towards me. The micro finance bills, electricity bills, and rent still keep coming. I can’t take it anymore.
And the final straw would be going out to buy a BBQ duck and the guy selling the last one to someone else.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He explained that everyone suffers from emotional or psychological crises to some extent or another, but most do not reach the point of developing a psychiatric disorder. However, he added, those problems can fester into something worse when drugs and alcohol are involved. This addition of intoxicants, Sithol warned, tends to deepen financial difficulties, which perpetuates a cycle of destruction and distress.
Quite an astute individual. I've noticed an uptick in reports of family violence over the past year, I didn't want to jump to any conclusions because the papers used to filled with reports of grenade attacks and pointless murders.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Burning down your own house has also got very popular too
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

2 assaults this wk on riverside, lost some claret.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

How r u doing MT? Heard you had a tough weekend in the mean streets of Kandal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic