See Vann Molyvann houses before they're gone

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

See Vann Molyvann houses before they're gone

Post by Soi Dog »

PPP wrote:A breath of life for Molyvann building
Fri, 16 May 2014
Emily Wight
Most of Phnom Penh’s arts scene is concentrated in a handful of central galleries, but if you poke around on the outskirts you might just stumble on one of the capital’s most unusual and overtly political works.

Last weekend, off a road on the way to the airport, a colourful tribute to renowned Cambodian architect Vann Molyvann was painted on one of his now-dilapidated designs which is earmarked for demolition.

The 10 or so derelict buildings in the area are all that remains of Molyvann’s 100 Houses Project, an initiative completed in 1967 that housed workers from the National Bank of Cambodia.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/brea ... n-building
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: See Vann Molyvann houses before they're gone

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Went to see them today. I've seen pictures of them before and even knew where they were, but never bothered checking them out. I like the roof design, but to be honest, definitely not one of Molyvann's most inspiring works. Then again, it was meant to be (relatively-speaking) budget housing. It's a nice mix of traditional Khmer houses with modern materials and design concepts (of the time). I brought my tape measure and took down all the dimensions. Again, my favourite feature was the roofs. The rest was so-so. I also doubt they were very cheap to build. Still, cool to see. Thanks for the link.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Went to see them today. I've seen pictures of them before and even knew where they were, but never bothered checking them out. I like the roof design, but to be honest, definitely not one of Molyvann's most inspiring works. Then again, it was meant to be (relatively-speaking) budget housing. It's a nice mix of traditional Khmer houses with modern materials and design concepts (of the time). I brought my tape measure and took down all the dimensions. Again, my favourite feature was the roofs. The rest was so-so. I also doubt they were very cheap to build. Still, cool to see. Thanks for the link.
Did you take any pics you could post?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

In no real order and not really organized:

ImageImageImageImageImage

I've got pictures of the stairs which are pretty cool. There were two other paintings which looked nice, but for some reason it seems like I didn't get a pic (thought I had).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Nice, simple and breezy design. Looks cheap as chips to build. You're right, the roof give the house it's style. Thanks for the pics.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

hopefully, at least the timber will be reused in another building. Is there still a barang or two doing that kind of thing? I'd heard some were outright buying the family home to get the good old big pieces of wood. Architectural details might be had too I spose.

It occurs to me they might be saved by volunteers. I could easily live in many of them I'm sure. Get some power and tools and bingo, you've got retiree expats with something to do beside drink, heh. I'm living in a 150+ yr old house that started as a warehouse, sometime before 1852. Soon as I get it close to done it's getting rented and I'm comin over there for a long stay. Might bring some tools :)
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Please don't. There are enough tools here already. :lol:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

:D Jaap!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

yes?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Hi
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic