Visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tim Smith
Expatriate
Canada

Visa

Post by Tim Smith »

I arrived in Cambodia January 3rd, my Visa is 30 day. I do not fly out until March 29th. Are the extensions free or what do I need to do to cover until my fly out date?
imheathan
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Visa

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Did you even bother to conduct any prior research before travelling to Cambodia? Obviously not :facepalm:

NO!...Extensions of Stay are not free...you need to go to a Visa Agent or the DoI Visa office opposite PP airport to apply for your Visa EOS.

What is the purpose of your visit. The EOS category you require will depend on that, although as you are here for such a short time I suggest applying for the 3 month EG (General) EOS, which requires no supporting documentation as it is for those seeking employment or business opportunities.

You will need to apply for at least a 3 month Extension of Stay as there are no 2 month EOS's, however, this will not be valid for re-entry, if you require multi entry/exit, then you will need a 6 or 12 mth EOS.

If you do not obtain an EOS, you will accrue overstay fines of $10 per day.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Tim Smith, did you just throw down a visa question without forethought, or are you that naive?

You don't say which visa you got. A Tourist visa and an Ordinary visa are two different 30-day instruments and are handled differently in terms of extensions. And Cambodia does not sell Tourist visas. Do you have an Ordinary visa with invitation? Anyway, PSD Kiwi above is the expert.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thailand2Cambodia
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Thailand2Cambodia »

May I ask how did you get the entry visa? I thought short term visitors can’t get visas now only people with jobs.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Thailand2Cambodia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 am May I ask how did you get the entry visa? I thought short term visitors can’t get visas now only people with jobs.
Letter of employment would help.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am Tim Smith, did you just throw down a visa question without forethought, or are you that naive?

You don't say which visa you got. A Tourist visa and an Ordinary visa are two different 30-day instruments and are handled differently in terms of extensions. And Cambodia does not sell Tourist visas. Do you have an Ordinary visa with invitation? Anyway, PSD Kiwi above is the expert.

Haha, yea no forethought and lacking the necessary details, luckily ii can read between the lines...

Tourist Visas have been suspended since March 2020, and as his Visa was only valid for a 1 month period of Stay upon arrival that rules out A,B,C & K-type Visas...therefore he can only have an E-type (Ordinary) Visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Thailand2Cambodia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 am May I ask how did you get the entry visa? I thought short term visitors can’t get visas now only people with jobs.
As long as the applicant has the necessary supporting documentation as required for the Visa type by the Embassy/Consulate, then they will be issued the Visa.

Some Embassies/Consulates apply a very strict criteria with no room for negotiation, whereas others have a more lenient criteria and/or are more accommodating based on the applicants circumstances.

(Note: there are also many dodgy agents out there selling fake documentation for people to apply for visas...this is fraudulent and highly illegal, buyer beware)

Many business travellers/consultants are still travelling to/from Cambodia regularly for short periods of time, they still need to meet all the entry requirements and restrictions and go through quarantine though.
Tim Smith
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Tim Smith »

Sorry to ruffle feathers. I was given a E Visa. I went to consulate in Canada as required. As visa is now required before landing.
My renewal question was brought about because many google searches were saying Cambodia government was giving free extensions.

Needless to say I believe PSD-kiwi has sufficiently answered my Question.

To others, being a little more helpful and less sarcastic can go a long way.
imheathan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic