Kampot Has a Problem with Sewage and Waste Water

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Re: Kampot Has a Problem with Sewage and Waste Water

Post by emm »

Simply said it is one step to not clog up the pipes and have sewage water overflow onto the road in the rainy season. The current amount of waste water - sewage although unpleasant as always is still minimal in comparison to let's say bigger city's like New York where the Hudson River was a big sewage dump for about 100 years.
The Pipes in Kampot are planned to be connected to the new, and currently built waste water treatment plant but this, too will take time. As i mentioned before, look at Sihanoukville where the Wastewater Plant was built more than 20 years ago and still is not connected to most of the city.

Therefore , at least for me the operation i mentioned earlier today is significant !
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 pm
emm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm
Here is the proof what Kampot is acutally doing:
I don't get your point, what has a septic pumping truck got to do with anything? :roll:
Me too. :popcorn:
The whole of Cambodia has waste water/sewer management problems. Especially in areas where there is a sudden population increase (such as Kampot town and around).
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

The claim that Kampot's population has suddenly increased a lot is pure fiction. While their are tons of construction sites the pure lack of tourism makes the city often feel like a ghost town. Except on Holidays when Khmer decide to spend a few days in Kampot it feels pretty empty. Ask any Hotel and Restaurant owner about their opinion.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

emm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:09 pm Simply said it is one step to not clog up the pipes and have sewage water overflow onto the road in the rainy season.

In the capital you are required to have a septic tank, so the overflow is that black gunk you see in the pipes. Those trucks are common, they are needed to pump out the tanks every now and then, and like in the photos for drains. I imagine the drain system in the old part of Kampot could be quite dilapidated though, and there's not much that can be done when there are days like this:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Change is coming !
Suon Sanary, a Phnom Penh resident, said clogged drainages are common, especially in the rainy season.

“We feel very upset for what happened last year because some parts of our city experienced serious flooding and clogged drainages”, he said.

Meas Pheakdey said drainage systems have been improved and expanded up to about 900 kilometres.

Wastewater released from households in Phnom Penh contained 234 tonnes of feces, 2,335 m3 of urine and 8,154 m3 of grey water per day, according to a 2019 brief report by Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia. Moreover, wastewater discharged from 3,000 small enterprises amounts to more than 1 million m3 daily, it said.

There are 14 pumping stations in Phnom Penh’s 732 kilometre drainage system and 44,807 converted-holds in Phnom Penh for wastewater management, it added.
source:
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50805943/c ... ge-trucks/

Given the fact that work is currently done in most places here gives me the confidence that i need to live here.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I thought this was about Kampot not PP?
Also, a sewerage pump truck is a common sight in most towns in Cambodia. It means absolutely Jack shit.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

emm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm The claim that Kampot's population has suddenly increased a lot is pure fiction. While their are tons of construction sites the pure lack of tourism makes the city often feel like a ghost town. Except on Holidays when Khmer decide to spend a few days in Kampot it feels pretty empty. Ask any Hotel and Restaurant owner about their opinion.
I am struggling to understand what you are saying here. Yes, there are almost no tourists now, (like elsewhere in Cambodia), but many people have moved to Kampot to live, so there has been a significant population growth.
Like you, I don't have official figures to put here, but I would estimate that at least 2000 people moved from Sihanoukville to Kampot during the Chinese wave in SHV - locals and expats. For such a small town that's a big figure. Then you have the construction sites that you mention, so obviously that means that there are construction workers and usually their families too.
Kampot is about twice the size that it was ten years ago (source: myself, that's what it looks like), so of course the authorities are struggling to keep up with the infrastructure.
Sorry, but I really don't get why you would think that Kampot does not have the same problems as the rest of Cambodia. :shrug:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic