Banksy- art makes you think

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by AndyKK »

Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have been spending a little time with using spray paint cans lately. I have recently completed the Honda CB400 (still have part 2 of the write-up to finish and post).
Now on the second project, the Honda msx.
On both projects so far I have had lots of fun, going over some old ways, and learning myself new examples.
So far I have had plenty of time with having a go at vinyl wrapping, I would have more than likely got much more into it if I had invested in a hot air gun.
Examples of vinyl wrapping

Vinyl to buy is about a dollar for a square meter, so an inexpensive hobby.

Has for the painting, I found some very good Thai spray can's for 5,500riel.

Yesterday I was pleased with this result from two colours. But now on the outlook for a good 2 pack laquer.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I like the grey and black (granite and marble?) the purple is hideous IMO, nice work though👍
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:22 am Image
I like this.
It looks like something out of nature (to me). Something dynamic, not fixed.
but not water, my very first impression, nor smoke. Not flares on the surface of the Sun, not the Sea of Tranquility or a wild part of the Milky Way.

Hints of all those natural phenomena, but not anything i have ever seen before. New to the universe.
"And on the 8th day Andy created..."
lol
How did you get the effect? - if its not an artist's secret.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 pm I like the grey and black (granite and marble?) the purple is hideous IMO, nice work though👍
The purple, it could have been any colour to be honest, but it may have a place on the bike because it is a little vibrant and easy to see. In effect I would hope other road uses see me and give me room, but I would doubt that they will.
Granite or marble?
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 pm
I like this.
but not water, my very first impression, nor smoke. Not flares on the surface of the Sun, not the Sea of Tranquility or a wild part of the Milky Way.

Hints of all those natural phenomena, but not anything i have ever seen before. New to the universe.
lol
So the title of the thread, the part - "art makes you think", works well and certainly in this case. Just a little about myself, and of paint, being that it's always been part of my life, and have coated most things, mainly in my working life, but that that said, you could call me "just an humble painter".

It's no secret Stern -
Banksy also used stencils and masking, just that, first colour has a basecoat (gray) then the stencil, in this case, fabric. Applying the next coat (black) then laquer (clearcoat).

Today I hope to give it a little colour.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:38 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 pm I like the grey and black (granite and marble?) the purple is hideous IMO, nice work though👍
The purple, it could have been any colour to be honest, but it may have a place on the bike because it is a little vibrant and easy to see. In effect I would hope other road uses see me and give me room, but I would doubt that they will.
Granite or marble?
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 pm
I like this.

lol
So the title of the thread, the part - "art makes you think", works well and certainly in this case. Just a little about myself, and of paint, being that it's always been part of my life, and have coated most things, mainly in my working life, but that that said, you could call me "just an humble painter".

It's no secret Stern -
Banksy also used stencils and masking, just that, first colour has a basecoat (gray) then the stencil, in this case, fabric. Applying the next coat (black) then laquer (clearcoat).

Today I hope to give it a little colour.
So simple but a very effective technique (I learned something today, cheers for that)
Stern, I agree, that effect in those colours conjures up the image of a dark stormy ocean, when the wind blows so hard, ripping the tops off the waves in a fine spray, making the sea appear to smoke.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ahhh yes. i reckon you nailed it, Chad.
Good sea eye. You should be a dolphin spotter,
- or a KrisEnergy oil blob spotter. We are going to need a few those soon.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well eventually I managed to get a bit of colour into the bike parts.
The thing is when you paint like this, you simply have some idea how you would like the pice to turn out, but you can never be so sure of what you will end up with, being that there are so many cases, verrebills that can cause change. How, and what order the colours are applied may effect or make a change or difference.

Then actually viewing the part, looks different from one angle to the next, or in different directions depending on the light, (or is it just me and my tied eyes).

The two smaller body parts

How many colours do you see?
There are 5 colours - gray, black, gold, red yellow.
Painting is mostly something in general I enjoy doing, and I have to say that I have enjoyed this little project, now I am hoping that I may possibly take the opportunity to do a few more paint effects, with my time these days, mainly spent indoors.
The best thing is that after so long in, or of my life applying paint, I was looking at hobbies away from what was once I suppose deemed being that of my work, maybe now I have just realised, or found that the one thing, many people would look for in their work, is to be that of their hobbies, too be paid for that is a bonus.
Being too late, certainly at the wrong time, usual you could say for myself, I kinda think now I had something without realising the differences between the two.
But, that's no problem, because the time has passed by.
I realise one thing it's is better to live for today, yesterday has gone and passed, tommorow has yet still to arrive, and who knows what that day will bring.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

:oops: I did enjoy painting the bike parts recently, so I thought I would move on a little and experiment, seeing what these 5000riel per can, will let you do with them and there colours.
Again I was surprised at the results, and how durable the paint is, and how easy it is to get a new effect, but again using some kind of pattern by the way of stenciling, and the kind of stencils that is found around the home, it could be something you could use as it is, or do a little modification. My idea was to get something that I could get a continuous pattern flowing through the bike parts, and what I was wanting to paint.

The front mudguard, the base colour silver gray, followed by black, white and gold.

Then to get the surface wet with a clear coat (laquer), once applied I used a used Mr Muscle glass cleaner, filled with water and spread all over the mudguard, then applied white and black paint, both from oppersit directions.

Then there is the main body of the bike, but all removable panels. I found particular ways that suited myself but maybe different for others, using what sequence or technique that they feel best for the perpose of gaining there result.

In general, prepare the surface well, the more time spent on preparation, will give you a better end result.

I am going to name this stencil "Dragon Skin"

The tank favers and panels, painted using the above colours, but now with additional colours, such has yellow and light grey and green off
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Again this is keeping me occupied, also it's enjoyable, so I continue with the next painting project. Still on the same lines as before with the masking.
This one is very experimental, using a quantity of paint, it would normally be only little coverage in the use of spray can's.The fingers are certainly crossed on this unknown project.

Using at least five colours on this and the paint lay's heavy at time's, so in-between coat's there's a fare amount of wet flatimg to do.

Sorry have more photos, but again unable to upload even when reduced.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic