Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

Post by Doc67 »

(I am not sure if this belongs here, or On The Road or the Tech Zone)

5 minute charging will surely be the end of the petrol engine?

Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles.

Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis but running out of charge during a journey is a worry for drivers. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot and manufactured by Eve Energy in China on standard production lines.

“The number one barrier to the adoption of electric vehicles is no longer cost, it is range anxiety,” said Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot. “You’re either afraid that you’re going to get stuck on the highway or you’re going to need to sit in a charging station for two hours. But if the experience of the driver is exactly like fuelling [a petrol car], this whole anxiety goes away.”
“A five-minute charging lithium-ion battery was considered to be impossible,” he said. “But we are not releasing a lab prototype, we are releasing engineering samples from a mass production line. This demonstrates it is feasible and it’s commercially ready.”

Existing Li-ion batteries use graphite as one electrode, into which the lithium ions are pushed to store charge. But when these are rapidly charged, the ions get congested and can turn into metal and short circuit the battery.

The StoreDot battery replaces graphite with semiconductor nanoparticles into which ions can pass more quickly and easily. These nanoparticles are currently based on germanium, which is water soluble and easier to handle in manufacturing. But

StoreDot’s plan is to use silicon, which is much cheaper, and it expects these prototypes later this year. Myersdorf said the cost would be the same as existing Li-ion batteries.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ging-times
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

Post by IraHayes »

All hail the electric vehicle.. the saviour of the human race... watch as we will soon beat “climate change”

Just a couple of questions...

How do they make the electricity?
And have you seen the areas surrounding the rare earth mines in China?
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:47 am All hail the electric vehicle.. the saviour of the human race... watch as we will soon beat “climate change”

Just a couple of questions...

How do they make the electricity?
And have you seen the areas surrounding the rare earth mines in China?
I think the point being made is progress in the artical . Who have seen the mines is a fair question. But what about the bammages created by fracking oil. From sand stone?

It's a wait and see thing.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I'm not so sure "wait and see thing" would go down too well "experimented on a small scale" might get better reviews, and I would imagine they have that evidence ready. You're right though, in reality it's a wait n see.

I don't have my glasses so I couldn't (didn't) read the whole thing. 5 minutes is great but how far does that get you? At what cost? If it's in your post don't worry I'll get to it when I get home.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 pm I'm not so sure "wait and see thing" would go down too well "experimented on a small scale" might get better reviews, and I would imagine they have that evidence ready. You're right though, in reality it's a wait n see.

I don't have my glasses so I couldn't (didn't) read the whole thing. 5 minutes is great but how far does that get you? At what cost? If it's in your post don't worry I'll get to it when I get home.
100 miles after a 5 minute charge.

Battery can be recharged 1000 times and still retain 80% power storage. The article doesn't say how far the car can go if the charge is for 10 or 15 minutes. I still think you need at least 300 miles per charge to make it acceptable.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Thanks. If you see a bloke prancing around the street in new clobber, you know my shares have gone up.

Evidently, you're supposed to charge batteries frequently, in short blasts (the analogy is liking it to a human going for a short or long, walk or run) as opposed to the old theory of letting them run down and recharge, so going on that info, any spare time you've got, I guess you'd stop in at a juicerupperer
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic