Man Shot Dead in Happiness Restaurant, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Man Shot Dead in Happiness Restaurant, Phnom Penh

Post by Brody »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm they DO have good local knowledge and good intelligence.
I suspect this is true. I'd bet there are networks of informants everywhere. It makes sense. One of the prime Khmer past-times is sitting around and staring at any and everything going on around them.

Ever notice all those shiftless tuk-tuk jockies and moto dops, picking their ass-cracks and whiling away the hours on random street corners apparently not up to much of anything?

If they aren't themselves moonlighting coppers, then they get paid a little stipend for reporting suspicious goings-on to the local competent authorities.

Even HE has said himself that nobody can fart in this country without him knowing about it. Or something to that effect.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Have to admit they do confess quickly when caught !!!!!, not sure why, in UK the crims tend to go "Not Guilty your honour" until the court case and then change their plea........
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

DaveG wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm Have to admit they do confess quickly when caught !!!!!, not sure why, in UK the crims tend to go "Not Guilty your honour" until the court case and then change their plea........
maybe because if they are guilty and don't have the funds to get out an immediate plea leads to a swift(er)trial than a not guilty and therefore can lead to your punishment decided and sentence given rather than languishing awaiting sentence for 12+ months.

I'd add to Brodys post that you also see a large amount of random tuk tuk and motorcycle guys etc all with the radios that link to the police which is why they can suddenly appear out of nowhere when something is happening .
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Brody wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:10 pm
Mishmash wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm they DO have good local knowledge and good intelligence.
I suspect this is true. I'd bet there are networks of informants everywhere. It makes sense. One of the prime Khmer past-times is sitting around and staring at any and everything going on around them.

Ever notice all those shiftless tuk-tuk jockies and moto dops, picking their ass-cracks and whiling away the hours on random street corners apparently not up to much of anything?

If they aren't themselves moonlighting coppers, then they get paid a little stipend for reporting suspicious goings-on to the local competent authorities.

Even HE has said himself that nobody can fart in this country without him knowing about it. Or something to that effect.
Is true... There are heaps of plain clothes around.. If you look at the Khmer vids/photos of incidents you will see them suddenly descending en-masse before the uniforms arrive.

Obviously the uniforms don't patrol the streets as the perps will sneak away on sight, so the answer is plain clothes.

I was always under the impression that every expat here in Cambodia had officers on call - par for the course.

It's funny when some people doubt I have friends Brody, after all I AM a total wankshaft, but the Khmers do look after me for my own good.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

DaveG wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm Have to admit they do confess quickly when caught !!!!!, not sure why, in UK the crims tend to go "Not Guilty your honour" until the court case and then change their plea........
We would love to believe they confess due to the religion or culture, however it goes a bit like this....

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Update - The perp has been identified and the Warrant issued.

27-year-old Duong Mony, a resident of Prek Thmey village, Prek Anchanh commune, Muk Kampul district, Kandal.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Murder as a crime must be investigated up until the arrest of the perpetrators. Please note that the public, especially the relatives of the victims, are waiting for the authorities to catch the perpetrators of two brutal killings in Phnom Penh, seemingly silent, as if ignorant. Silence leaves the victims' families without social justice.

Murders committed by the military and the military police, include:
Case 1: The police have identified that the killer who shot and killed the DJ at the bar across the street was a young military police officer named Duong Moniroth, and one year later, the police are still pursuing the arrest in order to bring justice.
Recall that the victim was shot by a gunman on January 9, 2020 in Happiness Restaurant # 85, Street 63, Village 9, Sangkat Boeung Reang, Khan Daun Penh.
Name: Ho Mina, Residence: 43H, Street Tonle Sap, Doeum Kor Village, Sangkat Chroy Changva, Khan Chroy Changva, Occupation: Musician (DJ).
[Case 2 is the case of the young medical student who was shot in the neck by her fiancee.newsworthy/man-shoots-medical-student-g ... 35626.html ]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

The biggest murder in the music scene since Biggie.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Never be too popular, It spurs envy!
Take it from me; being hansom can be a curse!!!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Someone should make the cambodian version of the "Army Strong" commercial.. it'd just be a series of mugshots and overweight 24 star generals at the KTV.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic