Sangat police visit?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Sangat police visit?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Although I’ve been here a while I assume the Sangat police knocking my door this morning was not a courtesy call but likely an angle for tea money. What is the best strategy for dealing with them? Don’t open the door? Open but don’t let them in? Be complaint and show them any documentation they may be looking for? Give them some tea money?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sangat police visit?

Post by armchairlawyer »

For me, they wanted to register me (this was before FPCS). I had to hand over my passport for ten minutes. No money asked for or paid. Helps if your landlady is present throughout.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I had 5 turn up at my place, sangkat, immigration. They wanted copies of all the docs they already had. Visa, FPRC, Lease. $10.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

chinesetakeaway, so what was your experience, did you let them in? Or did they knock and go away?
I had a visit from them when I had the business, they were checking documents. They also visited expats in their homes too. It seems the normal thing for them to do in their work.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My girlfriend rents an apartment, we were there doing some maintenance about 4 month ago when the local cop turned up, wanted to know who was living there, needed passport photo and copy of passport and Visa, just a coincidence we were there but good, girl gave him tea money. He's not registered on her phone app so don't know what he's doing getting visa renewal.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm He's not registered on her phone app so don't know what he's doing getting visa renewal.
Who?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm
atst wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm He's not registered on her phone app so don't know what he's doing getting visa renewal.
Who?
My girlfriend's tenant, (not everyone's an English teacher)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

atst wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm just a coincidence we were there
There are no coincidences bro...the jungle drums were beating

Happens all the time in the provinces as well, if we forget to tip our hat to the local Sangkat police when we arrive, they always turn up at whichever house we happen to be drinking at.

@chinesetakeaway nothing to be worried about, as long as you are residing in country legally and not conducting any illegal activities in your apartment. It is a good idea to always have a few copies of your passport bio-page and current Visa EOS, and WP if relevant, handy...also a few cold beers in the fridge. Be friendly and polite. They have likely heard through the grapevine that there is a foreigner staying in the apartment, but your landlord has failed to register you at the Sangkat.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm
Who?
My girlfriend's tenant, (not everyone's an English teacher)
Cool, I just wasn't sure who you meant, not sure what the English teacher comment was supposed to mean. The police are pretty clued in on what's happening here anyway, it's not as lawless as some people like to imagine.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic