Big bikes’ impounded for being too noisy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Big bikes’ impounded for being too noisy

Post by atst »

why dont you install one of these, exhaust cut out when you want it loud, on some you can adjust them so adjusting the volume not just on/off

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

U.S. Ambassador Patrick Murphy poses on a Harley Davidson motorcycle at the Phnom Penh store, in a photo posted to the U.S. Embassy Facebook page on September 30, 2020.

By Mech Dara
Tues Jan 12

Temporary Halt to Big Bike Confiscations After Wave of Criticism

Authorities confiscated 60 large and noisy motorcycles this week after Interior Minister Sar Kheng complained about their noise, but after a wave of online criticism police have temporarily suspended the crackdown.

Kheng complained late last week of being woken up by big motorcycles — “like Harleys, for example” — with modified tailpipes, and asked authorities to take their license plate numbers and track them to their registered addresses.

“If they ride in front of our houses, we are woken up. The prime minister used to complain about this issue,” he said while chairing an inter-ministerial meeting on Friday.

Police complied, confiscating 60 motorcycles before they took note of people’s online complaints, according to city police.

A Facebook post by Khmer Rise Party president Sok Sovann Vathana Sabung garnered more than 6,500 reactions, 1,000 shares and 200 comments after complaining that big motorcycles could not help but be loud even when unmodified, and the government should block imports if they wanted them gone.

“Some motorcycles are not very strong but have modified tailpipes that disturb the public order, and these are appropriate for punishment,” he said.

Another popular post with thousands of reactions showed a man locking his motorcycle in his house, with a caption questioning whether he would manage to escape the long arm of the law.

Phnom Penh police chief Sar Thet said on Monday that the Interior Ministry, together with the transport and environment ministries, was preparing more precise instructions on how to deal with modified and noisy motorcycles.

“We have met to find a middle ground about measuring the noise volume in accordance with a sub-decree or law,” said Thet, who is the Interior Minister’s cousin. “When the noise goes beyond the limit, it is wrong and must be stopped. For today, we’ve stopped seizing motorcycles.”

Thet added that officers were collecting data about motorcycles and their registered addresses, and were tabulating how many were out there.

National Police spokesperson Chhay Kim Khoeun said the Interior Ministry should be issuing guidelines about the motorcycles this week.

https://vodenglish.news/temporary-halt- ... criticism/
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

atst wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm why dont you install one of these, exhaust cut out when you want it loud, on some you can adjust them so adjusting the volume not just on/off

That kit looks expensive, if bikers are worried about having their big noisy bikes confiscated, a cheaper alternative would be for the bike owners to hire a trombone player to ride pillion playing at full volume to alert the whole neighborhood to how fucking awesome bikers are? Said trombonist could also help fight off the beautiful women who swarm around the owners of those stupid fucking loud bikes. There may not be enough Trombone players for every muppet on a big bike, they are maybe a bit thin on the ground here, but there are plenty of chainsaw owner/operators who could provide a similar service. As for making the exhaust loud for “safety reasons”, have a word with yourselves, coz no one is buying that excuse.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Fresh News
FN MEDIA CO., LTD.
GET - on the App Store
INSTALL

Lt. Gen. Thet orders Phnom Penh police to suspend motorcycle seizures after some officers exceeded instructions (Sound inside)
2021-01-11 04:21 pm
(Phnom Penh): Lt. Gen. Thet, Deputy Commissioner of the National Police and Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commissioner, on January 11, 2021, ordered the police force of 14 districts in Phnom Penh to suspend the seizure of motorbikes with loud cement pipes. Causing temporary disturbance to the people.

In a voicemail message sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Police, Lt. Gen. Thet stated that the suspension was pending a new order from General Neth Savoeun, the National Police Commissioner General, to avoid any clashes with residents because some motorbikes did not. No processing, that is, the original set comes from the factory.

Lt. Gen. Thet saw that after an order from Samdech Krala Hom Sar Kheng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, and Gen. Neth Savoeun, to seize a motorcycle to repair a cement pipe, there was a disturbance, some officials followed the instructions. And there are some pictures in the house, which is against the rules.

Lt. Gen. Thet issued the order as follows: "In all districts, stop the big motorbikes, the motorbikes with cement, no nests, loud noises, first stop to wait for the new order [...] Because some big motorbikes They have a cement nest, open to no noise, so this type is not wrong.

It should be informed that Samdech Krala Hom Sar Kheng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Ministry of Interior, this morning, January 08, 2021, ordered the special police force in Phnom Penh to cooperate with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport to investigate and identify the big motorbikes that caused the accident. Noise to the people.

The order of Samdech Krala Hom Sar Kheng came after Samdech observed that there were cases of some gangsters riding big motorbikes, processing cement pipes that were not technically correct in their original form, and there were loud noises that disturbed the people, especially Samdech himself. Also disturbed by the sound of the cement pipe.

The new order of Samdech Krala Hom Sar Kheng was made during the meeting of the inter-ministerial meeting to adjust the qualifications of the policy of safe villages and communes on the morning of January 08, 2021 The meeting was held at the Ministry of Interior with the participation of the Minister, the Secretary of State, the Under Secretary of State, the relevant ministries and the heads of many other institutions.

Samdech Krala Hom Sar Kheng noted that in the past, these big motorbike riders were riding fast and some of them disturbed the local people and sometimes disturbed the sleep of the leaders, so the police officers had to monitor and cooperate. With the Ministry of Public Works and Transport to identify and address all these motorcyclists.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm
atst wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm
That kit looks expensive, if bikers are worried about having their big noisy bikes confiscated, a cheaper alternative would be for the bike owners to hire a trombone player to ride pillion playing at full volume to alert the whole neighborhood to how fucking awesome bikers are? Said trombonist could also help fight off the beautiful women who swarm around the owners of those stupid fucking loud bikes. There may not be enough Trombone players for every muppet on a big bike, they are maybe a bit thin on the ground here, but there are plenty of chainsaw owner/operators who could provide a similar service. As for making the exhaust loud for “safety reasons”, have a word with yourselves, coz no one is buying that excuse.
Spoken like a OLD GIT I once knew, a regular daytime drinker of those flat .50 cent beers. He used to waffle on like this about crap he had no idea about. He too used to complain about noisy bikes with a passion, I used to love giving him the royal fly by and a dirty big barrrp whenever I seen him. I got a chuff out of seeing him almost spill his beer.
I respect a lot of your posts, but really, your contribution here is trombones and chainsaw wielding pillins on already loud big bikes?
I ride loud bikes, I am not a biker!
Loud exhaust have saved my life on a number of occasions, but I also relate to the day to day disturbance they create. I would also go out on a limb as say a large percentage (myself included) use loud exhaust to purposely create disturbance or buzz ppl purposely.
All this just because some geezer got a Barrp wakeup call LOL but its working, just this morning one of my bikes has gone in for a standard muffler fitment.
I have always said that I am part of the problem, yes I have tried to justify my desire to be loud but am also willing to abide by any real substantial controllable law that is put in place.

BTW, when you are fat, old and ugly like me, it doesn’t matter how loud your bike is, there aint no beautiful women swarming lol, my bikes are purely for commute and adventure. Not trying to compensate in anyway for any short comings hahah – each to there own matey
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

BigDee wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 am
whatwat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 am There’s a new thing that bikers do called “rev bombing” on people they perceive to have done a wrong to them.

If they spent time breaking or manoeuvring instead of killing their engine and clutch they may avoid such incidents.

Bellends.
Rev bombing is what 16 year olds do when they get their first 50cc motorbike *cringe*
HaHaHa nothing better then dropping one in street 5 late arvo (1200cc Harley with straight pipes) earlier on, I did say I was part of the problem ;-)
hahaha in all fairness a revbomb from a Harley is a completely different game altogether 8)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

BigDee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 am
Spoken like a OLD GIT I once knew, a regular daytime drinker of those flat .50 cent beers. He used to waffle on like this about crap he had no idea about. He too used to complain about noisy bikes with a passion, I used to love giving him the royal fly by and a dirty big barrrp whenever I seen him. I got a chuff out of seeing him almost spill his beer.
I respect a lot of your posts, but really, your contribution here is trombones and chainsaw wielding pillins on already loud big bikes?
Loud exhaust have saved my life on a number of occasions, but I also relate to the day to day disturbance they create. I would also go out on a limb as say a large percentage (myself included) use loud exhaust to purposely create disturbance or buzz ppl purposely.
All this just because some geezer got a Barrp wakeup call LOL but its working, just this morning one of my bikes has gone in for a standard muffler fitment.
I have always said that I am part of the problem, yes I have tried to justify my desire to be loud but am also willing to abide by any real substantial controllable law that is put in place.

BTW, when you are fat, old and ugly like me, it doesn’t matter how loud your bike is, there aint no beautiful women swarming lol, my bikes are purely for commute and adventure. Not trying to compensate in anyway for any short comings hahah – each to there own matey
So what exactly did this “Old Git” know nothing about? Was it the science proving that making ear splitting racket by revving your prosthetic cock in your “desire to be loud” makes you somehow impressive to everyone else?
That “buzz” you get shows you clearly have no consideration for anyone who might not want their eardrums blasted to fuck, or who doesn’t want waking up at all hours?
There are laws in place (which you’d comply with if only they met with your requirements?) about excessively loud bikes apparently, and when they’ve been enforced the offenders have started bitching, probably because without their loud bike any character they perceive it gives them evaporates.
By the way, to clarify my stance, the problem is not big bikes, it’s the cunts riding some of them.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 am
BigDee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 am

So what exactly did this “Old Git” know nothing about? Was it the science proving that making ear splitting racket by revving your prosthetic cock in your “desire to be loud” makes you somehow impressive to everyone else?
That “buzz” you get shows you clearly have no consideration for anyone who might not want their eardrums blasted to fuck, or who doesn’t want waking up at all hours?
There are laws in place (which you’d comply with if only they met with your requirements?) about excessively loud bikes apparently, and when they’ve been enforced the offenders have started bitching, probably because without their loud bike any character they perceive it gives them evaporates.
By the way, to clarify my stance, the problem is not big bikes, it’s the cunts riding some of them.
Been called a lot worse then a CUNT - BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

These improvised mufflers work well.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm These improvised mufflers work well.
Is that what they call a “crotch rocket”?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic