Democracy in Cambodia and elsewhere

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Democracy in Cambodia and elsewhere

Post by emm »

Democracy is just a dream.

I admit that i am a great fan of Democracy, the old type of it anyway where you have RIGHTS of free speach, free movement and opinion and a chance to participate in the wellbeing of your country and people aswell as to your neighbors in other countries. My DUTY/OBLIGATION to pay all kind of taxes which often eat almost 50 pct of what i earned through my work was not apreciated very much BUT i had to obey or go to war with my Government.

The French have it enshrined in their 3 Values:Image Egalite, Fraternite, Liberte. It was enshrined in their Declaration of Human Rights and Citizens in 1789 and added to the french Constitution in 1958. In Historic terms not that long ago.

As most people in Democratic Countries enjoyed a almost unlimited freedom the abuse of these RIGHTS increased equally rapid. RIGHTS was good but DUTY or OBLIGATION ignored. What many western countries have now is a selfish, ignorant population that does not give much of a "fiddlers fart" about their DUTY in Democracy and thereby create a perfect breeding ground for Totalitarian Systems. The very latest proof of that was delivered by the storm of the US Capitol by a violent Mob (incited by no other that the current president of the USA, Donald Trump) that left 5 people dead.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-michigan

What does have to do with Cambodia ?
A lot. Prejudice is a mean condition and i claim that most of us Khmer and Barang are not totally free of this. Cambodia was and still is subject to forces outside it's boundries as it was during historic times when it was at war with Thais, Vietnamese etc but later with French and their Indochina Adventure and even later with the allmighty US and it's western allies and of course China.

China is an interesting subject in this context because it receives daily trashing by western democracies of which many (UK, FRANCE, GERMANY,) don't have their own house in order. It's difficult in the latter countries in Europe to excercise a full democracy when huge amount of economic and political refugees change the fabric of traditional values within the society. It's almost impossible to have the old type of democracy in a country of 1.4 billion people although India, not far behind in citizens tries it's best to keep it that way. The benefit of the Chinese System became aparent when the Focus of the Corona 19 Pandemic turned on Wuhan with 11 Million People was completely locked down to fight the virus and..........succeeded while People in Europe, US and Australia still went on their summer Holidays and did often enough ignored the safety measures set in place. Pure IGNORANCE was and now in the snowy winter month is excercised again and the virus exploded with infections again. So how to cope with IGNORANCE i ask you ? The same way we mostly ignore the enviromental issues like fires, drought, plastic waste etc. ? What future do you envision when the Pandemic is finally reaching it's end which may be years away, still ?
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Democracy in Cambodia and elsewhere

Post by Johno35 »

Go ask 100 Cambodians if they’d like to immigrate if they could and their reasons why they’d like to. Then ask them the top 5 countries they’d like to immigrate to.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

emm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:30 pm China is an interesting subject in this context because it receives daily trashing by western democracies of which many (UK, FRANCE, GERMANY,) don't have their own house in order.
I do recall a time in recent history where one European country earmarked a whole group of people for forced labour and extermination. You know, a bit like the Uighur's in China.
Not sure if you meant it but your post comes over as quite pro-China. You appear to welcome the loss of freedom, and the imposition of a strong leaders will on your day-to-day life. Dictators don't rise to power on their own, they are installed by the will of the majority of the citizens. The rest are crushed into submission. You are probably looking forward to the "Great Reset" when you will be able to become a mindless automaton with no more free-will than a pet hamster!
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

IGNORANCE can KILL PEOPLE:
The tourists who believe travel restrictions don't apply to them
Julia Buckley, CNN • Published 12th January 2021

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

Now blame whoever you want and stay IGNORANT
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Drink, sex, cigarettes,
Ford Cortina,
Household pets.

Bombs, war,
famine, death.

An apathetic public couldn't care less.

(100 bonus points if you know the name of the song.)
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Can you flout the Covid 19 rules by walking your man on a leash ? Walking a dog on a leash is legal, aparently walking your man is NOT.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... ur-partner

This ignorant person had to pay the price: Advised that they were breaking regulations and could be subjected to fines of more than $1,500 each, the couple “did not collaborate at all,” police spokesperson Isabelle Gendron said.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

emm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:58 pm IGNORANCE can KILL PEOPLE:
The tourists who believe travel restrictions don't apply to them
Julia Buckley, CNN • Published 12th January 2021

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

Now blame whoever you want and stay IGNORANT
I'll see your article about a few peasants who went against the rules and raise you with an article on the blatant hypocrisy of politicians acting as if they're above the rules — and endangering public health in the process.

https://www.businessinsider.com/democra ... st-2020-12

You see while it is ok to set rules those who set them must also adhere to them.
Fear keeps people compliant. Fear of a nuclear war, fear of a terrorist attack, fear of climate change, and now... fear of a deadly virus.

Notice we don't hear too much in the news about the former points? Almost nothing about Yemen and back in November when the civil war in Ethiopia escalated sharply as the Tigray Region attacked Eritrea. Or the Armenia/Azerbaijan shit-show.

Free people can speak freely. If you fear to speak, you aren't free. and there are those who will use everything at their disposal to stop people speaking freely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic