Canada to Cambodia money transfer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Canada to Cambodia money transfer

Post by canucklhead »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 am
canucklhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:58 am BMO will remit to Canadia. Just give them the swift code and account number.
You’ve had success using SWIFT code moving money to a Cambodian bank from Canada ?
Yes. Up to 50k in 1 go. It was a few years ago.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

canucklhead wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 am
canucklhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:58 am BMO will remit to Canadia. Just give them the swift code and account number.
You’ve had success using SWIFT code moving money to a Cambodian bank from Canada ?
Yes. Up to 50k in 1 go. It was a few years ago.
That’s great news ..... I was into my Canadia Branch here in Kampot yesterday and they printed out the form with the SWIFT info .... I noticed they have preferred intermediary banks ..... Did you simply provide that list to your Canadian bank mamnager and they chose who to use ?
Tom G Baal
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Tom G Baal »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am
Tom G Baal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 am I have used Swift to transfer from Canada to Canadia in the past. Make sure you fill out the form with the Canadia staff, as the account number in your passbook is not the complete account number. Also confirm the intermediary transfer bank every year or so, to make sure it is still the same.
I was at my Canadia branch yesterday and they filled out the form for me ..... I see the list of intermediary banks ..... I notice there are no banks specific to Canada ..... did you just send the entire list to your bank manager in Canada and they chose since they need to send US dollars ?
Pick an american bank from the list. If I remember correctly, they show the price on the form. If not, ask Canadia. Your Canadian bank will use the one you choose.

It usually works pretty good, but I have found ABA to be very good at it. Canadia held one of my transfers at their main branch, and didn't call me or anything, so I have been using ABA ever since.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Tom G Baal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:56 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am
Tom G Baal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 am I have used Swift to transfer from Canada to Canadia in the past. Make sure you fill out the form with the Canadia staff, as the account number in your passbook is not the complete account number. Also confirm the intermediary transfer bank every year or so, to make sure it is still the same.
I was at my Canadia branch yesterday and they filled out the form for me ..... I see the list of intermediary banks ..... I notice there are no banks specific to Canada ..... did you just send the entire list to your bank manager in Canada and they chose since they need to send US dollars ?
Pick an american bank from the list. If I remember correctly, they show the price on the form. If not, ask Canadia. Your Canadian bank will use the one you choose.

It usually works pretty good, but I have found ABA to be very good at it. Canadia held one of my transfers at their main branch, and didn't call me or anything, so I have been using ABA ever since.
Thank you very much
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic